Thibaut Courtois

Morten

Its been a while since we had a genuine tall goalkeeper of great quality though, will be great on set-pieces against us.

Heard he isnt particulary good with the ball at his feets though, could be a problem.

Last edited:

Givenchy

if DDG was available id understand Madrid getting him to replace Navas but this move is buying someone for the hell of it, cant argue with the price however. Kepa for cheap last summer would of made more sense as he'll also be Spains future #1

BarçaBarça

Way worse than De Gea, and we are perfectly settled with Ter Stegen - I'm alright with him at Real.
Quality-wise maybe a little step up from Navas, but Navas has been decisive when it mattered, we don't know if Courtios will be.

A douche all the way through, when looking at his comments, and the fact that he casually switch from Atletico to Real..
I would fear De Gea in Real, and probably some unknown goalie as well, because of the fact he could explode (like Lunin - we have Cillessen now, but should look for a talent when he leaves).

Andrew M

Way worse than De Gea, and we are perfectly settled with Ter Stegen - I'm alright with him at Real.
Quality-wise maybe a little step up from Navas, but Navas has been decisive when it mattered, we don't know if Courtios will be.

A douche all the way through, when looking at his comments, and the fact that he casually switch from Atletico to Real..
I would fear De Gea in Real, and probably some unknown goalie as well, because of the fact he could explode (like Lunin - we have Cillessen now, but should look for a talent when he leaves).

How is he way worse than De Gea? :lol:

Did you not watch the WC? De Gea was awful and Courtois was the best performer between the posts

BarçaBarça

How is he way worse than De Gea? :lol:

Did you not watch the WC? De Gea was awful and Courtois was the best performer between the posts

But they are not playing for their national teams now, are they? De Gea has consistently been the best goalkeeper in the PL all the time Courtios has been there.
De Gea has saved more points for United than Courtios has for any club, therefore I rate him higher.

Andrew M

But they are not playing for their national teams now, are they? De Gea has consistently been the best goalkeeper in the PL all the time Courtios has been there.
De Gea has saved more points for United than Courtios has for any club, therefore I rate him higher.

I personally feel De Gea is overrated and only over here in the UK is he rated so highly. If De Gea played outside the UK he would get no where near the attention he gets. Fact is he has never been deep in the CL nor an International tournament.

It is not unreasonable to say that he is better than Courtois; what is unreasonable, however, if saying Courtois is 'way worse'.

El Gato

Villarato!
You're both missing the point really I think.

It doesn't matter in the slightest if he's worse. Keepers just need to be solid, not exceptional, they don't win you games, they just make sure you don't lose it. Perfect shots and offensive moves always beat keepers. If you have a good enough attacking team, you don't need the best keeper in the world. Would be nice, but never ever in the history of any club is it a must-have for success.

All Courtois needs to be is a good fit - which ATM he probably isn't, but we haven't seen whether he's capable of adapting to high line defenses.

kattanib

It doesn't matter in the slightest if he's worse. Keepers just need to be solid, not exceptional, they don't win you games, they just make sure you don't lose it. Perfect shots and offensive moves always beat keepers. If you have a good enough attacking team, you don't need the best keeper in the world. Would be nice, but never ever in the history of any club is it a must-have for success.

All Courtois needs to be is a good fit - which ATM he probably isn't, but we haven't seen whether he's capable of adapting to high line defenses.

Well, Barca won the champions final against Arsenal due to Valdes being exceptional. This is an example of why good enough might not actually be good enough, sometimes you need exceptional :)

kattanib

Another example on how a goalkeeper can win you a game

[youtube]54rSngp8MGI[/youtube]

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Well, Barca won the champions final against Arsenal due to Valdes being exceptional. This is an example of why good enough might not actually be good enough, sometimes you need exceptional :)

And Madrid won the 13/14 final despite Casillas' mistake. These things are quite anecdotal. An exceptional keeper isn't something you should strive to have in case you need it, it's a precaution to shit going south. A good keeper will always suffice if he has an excellent block ahead of him. Moya did well as an Atleti keeper and only got benched by Oblak once he got injured. Cech isn't some amazing keeper. Dida wasn't consistently great. Valdes wasn't exceptional for majority of his time and won't be remembered as the best in the world. In essence it's a fruitless argument really. If you have a good enough D, you won't need the keeper to be a GOAT.

kattanib

And Madrid won the 13/14 final despite Casillas' mistake. These things are quite anecdotal. An exceptional keeper isn't something you should strive to have in case you need it, it's a precaution to shit going south. A good keeper will always suffice if he has an excellent block ahead of him. Moya did well as an Atleti keeper and only got benched by Oblak once he got injured. Cech isn't some amazing keeper. Dida wasn't consistently great. Valdes wasn't exceptional for majority of his time and won't be remembered as the best in the world. In essence it's a fruitless argument really. If you have a good enough D, you won't need the keeper to be a GOAT.

With all due respect, you are mental. Do you realize that these keepers you are talking about are the 1%? These are the finest of the finest alive human beings who can play in such a position, otherwise these big clubs wouldn’t have signed them. Bu default these are exceptional keepers if they managed to pull a consistent performance year after year, which is the case by the likes of Cech and Valdes

El Gato

Villarato!
What 1%? Of all keepers in the world? Sure, lol. So what? What's the point of this relativism of terms? Of course they're exceptional when compared with 2nd division keepers. We're talking about being up there with the best, top3, 5 or 10.

Many big club keepers weren't consistent or top5 level and they frequently made it big in football. Dudek, Reina, Dida (maybe in 2005 he was top5, I'll grant ya that)..

You don't need a great keeper that can be relied upon to ALWAYS save you in near-impossible situations, 1 on 1s or whatever. It's handy to have one, but it's not something you should fret over so long as the solid guy is a good fit for your defense.

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi

Then why just not keep Keylor , who has been very solid for you.

Home of Barca Fans