Thibaut Courtois

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
And at the end of the day, that's the thing...fit...Doesn't mean Courtois isn't quality because obviously he is...There are several outstanding keepers out there but as for fit, right now?...I like Mats

Wambo

ter Stegen is a much better fit for us, he is great with the ball on his feet etc...

Definitely, definitely!!!

ter-stegen-own-goal-vs-braunschweig.gif

Marc-Andre-ter-Stegen-Own-Goal-Fail-USA-vs-Germany.gif

hFj-dat-ball-controll.jpg

L

linetty

courtious.gif

every goalkeeper make mistakes, especially those who take risks.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
That's why these guys are so good at such a young age. After these mistakes they go back on the pitch and play with the same confidence they had before.
Such mistakes aren't that bad. You learn from them.

zanela

I may've to to revise my opinion about him. This kid is sublime. That said, I don't think its fair to compare him to GKs whose teams' style of play leave them a lot more exposed, and put them in positions where there is no room for error. And whilst I've seen Courtois make some magnificent saves, most of the times he's not had to come off his lines, or be left on his own to make a difficult decision.
Courtois is much loved in Spain. He's a huge hit amongst the catalan press and its readers. One of the many hurdles marc will face is the constant comparisons when he arrives (more so if courtois stays at AM). He's neither a catalan or from La Masia, so his buffer time will be restricted. Also those two own goals will always haunt him, as people will be quick to point them out if he makes an error in the blaugrana (^as has already been done). So when he starts his Barca career, it will not be with a clean slate, but more like -2. I feel sorry for him. Not only is the nature of his task daunting but the external impediments are far too many. I wish him good luck.

As for the Belgian, mou seemed visibly upset about Courtois' contribution last night. Even refusing to comment on him. I get the feeling he personally holds him responsible for the defeat. And we know Mou is not very forgiving of players who he deems unfaithful. I won't be surprised if he's given the Lukaku treatment, or even included in the Costa deal. And if the latter happens, he'll end up at Barca in a few years.

Wambo

every goalkeeper make mistakes, especially those who take risks.

True, but Stegen is not great with the ball on his feet like you said. After two same mistakes in 6 months you just cant say: "Oh, mistakes can happen! lol stegen the best <3" . Valdes is 33 and still made those blunders vs Real ( being outplayed by di Maria in the super cup, passing the ball to the same player in 2011 which resulted in a goal) . Stegen is obviously prone to making these types of mistakes.

aaron101

When playing the ball on their feet, De Gea is better than both ter Stegen and Courtois but overall I think Courtois is the better GK than both De Gea and ter Stegen.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

"Pro Partie gelingen ihm im Schnitt 40 gezielte Pässe, mit denen er einen Angriff sinnvoll eröffnet. Damit liegt er deutlich vor Nationaltorwart Manuel Neuer. Bei diesem sind es im Schnitt 25. So häufig wie ter Stegen berührten in der Hinrunde nicht mal die Gladbacher Stürmer den Ball pro Partie."
http://www.zeit.de/2014/09/fussball-marc-andre-ter-stegen-torwart-gladbach

--> 40 aimed passes per match to open his teams attacks. Neuer, prolly the best gk on this planet with his feet on an average day, averages 25. Also ter Stegen touches the ball more often with his feet per game than any Gladbach striker. So obviously Ter Stegen isn't that bad either with his feet overall. He most definitely is of the same new breed as Neuer is and made popular.

Last edited:

zanela

When a keeper makes as many touches as Marc(or any player), there's bound to be an occasional miscontrol of the ball. Except in a GK's case, there isn't anyone behind him to clean up his mess. With time and experience, he'll learn to position himself better.
The role of a sweeper keeper is extremely demanding. Not only is he acting as an outfield player, but is also expected to execute his gk'ing duties. There aren't many who can take the responsibilities of 2 roles.

DDG makes 16.8 avg passes/game, 56.2% pass. acc with 4.6 ALB/game.
Mats makes 38.7 avg passes/game, 73.8% pass. acc with 9 ALB/game
Courtois' stats are worse than both.

I watch all of them fairly regularly. And I whilst I'm critical of MAtS sometimes (and that's because I want him to succeed here), I know there isn't a better ball playing Gk, in his age group. Neither DDG or Courtois are close. Though you can make a case for them in other areas.

Last edited:

Moose

What strikes me as the biggest difference between Courtois and DDG/MatS, and the reason why I rate Courtois higher, is that aura of invincibility he portrays.
Might argue that DDG has the better reflexes and MatS and DDG clearly have better distribution.
But everytime I watch Courtois he has this attitude of "Chill, I've got his covered" which calms his whole team.
I wonder whether he can replicate that at another team.

zanela

What strikes me as the biggest difference between Courtois and DDG/MatS, and the reason why I rate Courtois higher, is that aura of invincibility he portrays.

This I agree. But he also has few things to his advantage. His height, his upward team graph, the confidence and stability courtesy Simeone. I mean, all his players look reborn. And I'm equally curious to see how he'd fare in a diff team/set-up.

khaled_a_d

And at the end of the day, that's the thing...fit...Doesn't mean Courtois isn't quality because obviously he is...There are several outstanding keepers out there but as for fit, right now?...I like Mats

When it comes to GK I have to disagree ,GKs job is to stop other teams from scoring period ,the whole good with his feet is a BS for me
And right now there is a lot of argument about whether to keep our style in the future or not

Andrew M

When it comes to GK I have to disagree ,GKs job is to stop other teams from scoring period ,the whole good with his feet is a BS for me
And right now there is a lot of argument about whether to keep our style in the future or not

I don't really think it is up for debate RE our style.

Having Pinto exhibiting his failings in possession recently have made it quite clear we need a GK with some magic in his toes. Valdes being so comfortable made a big difference when starting out attacks that we have missed.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

I remember watching Barcelona pre-Valdes, it wasn't pretty

L

linetty

Atletico (on loan from Chelsea) keeper Thibaut Courtois (21) is open to join Barcelona. If he doesn't renew, Chelsea will sell him. [sport]

Home of Barca Fans