Thibaut Courtois

DucdeOrléans

Does not matter where he is born.

His name is French and he is French when it comes to ethnicity (Belgium is only 180 years old). Really it should have been divided between Holland and France then the Flemish could be a part of Holland (as they wish) and the Walloons a part of France as they wish as well.;)

DucdeOrléans

You know I am joking right?

That said Belgium is only 180 years and was always a part of France and Holland.

That's why there is something called Walloons (basically French) and Flemish (basically Dutch) and why they can't live peacefully.

But yes Messi's ethnicity is Italian (mostly) which makes him in large part Italian (depends on which definition you want to use - place of birth/passport/ethnicity etc). Does not matter if he is born in Argentina, he is still Argentine-Italian. He surely is not a native Argentine.

Last edited:

DucdeOrléans

Galning:

Flemish people are Dutch people. Your language is even a dialect of Dutch. You share the same history/ethnicity etc. There is no other way around it.;)

Just as Walloons like Courtois are French basically.

Never mind someone should divide Belgium between France and Holland;)

Last edited:

Galning

If only it was that easy. In 180 years people change. Ask any Dutch/Flemish person and they will say they are different. Flemish people don't feel Dutch and Dutch people don't feel Flemish eventhough they have the same background. It's like saying Norwegians are Swedish.

DucdeOrléans

Nah not exactly Galning.

Norway and Sweden have been seperate countries for nearly 1000 yaers.

Belgium is 180 years old. Before that it was French and Dutch for hundred years so not quite the same although I think I know what you mean.

But well you have after all a slightly different dialect of Dutch but you are still ethnic Dutch people. You just use a different name now and have a seperate country.;) I mean the Walloons in Belgium would rather want to be a part of France than Holland much like the Flemish rather wants to be a part of Holland for obvious reasons.

Let me give you an example.

If Spain becomes divided into soverign provinces (for example into Asturias, Galicia, Andalucía, Valencia etc.)

Then even after 180 years people living in Andalucía and Extremadura will still be Spanish even though they would call themselves Andalucian/Extremadurian

But well let's leave that discussion and return to commenting on Courtois;)

E

estranged

31_jimmy_3.png

Home of Barca Fans