Height of Our Players

Richard.H

Usually I don't care about height but with a squad like Barca's it's hard not to notice it. I was bored and decided to compare the heights posted on Wikipedia.org with those of UEFA.com and strangely enough, I found the heights to be very different from one website to another. There's nearly a 2 inch height difference on Wikipedia compared to UEFA. For example, Wikipedia states Iniesta's height as 5'7 while on UEFA.com his height is 5'5. So, which source should a person trust?

I won't be surprised if the ones on UEFA are correct because they probably take into account height without the players having their clits on and with all due respect, Barca players already seem very small on the pitch.

Edit: Turns out that Wikipedia doesn't know how to convert from cm to ft so their ft numbers are wrong but their cm numbers are correct, wtf?

Anyway, but it's still quite surprising to me that Iniesta really is 5'5.

Last edited:

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Height hasn't affected this team enough to worry about it. The balance in height is ok when everyone is fit and obviously it became more noticeable since Pique has been injured of late, but we're ok.

I must say though, I do miss Yaya's presence.

dalitis8

Banned
Usually I don't care about height but with a squad like Barca's it's hard not to notice it. I was bored and decided to compare the heights posted on Wikipedia.org with those of UEFA.com and strangely enough, I found the heights to be very different from one website to another. There's nearly a 2 inch height difference on Wikipedia compared to UEFA. For example, Wikipedia states Iniesta's height as 5'7 while on UEFA.com his height is 5'5. So, which source should a person trust?

I won't be surprised if the ones on UEFA are correct because they probably take into account height without the players having their clits on and with all due respect, Barca players already seem very small on the pitch.

Edit: Turns out that Wikipedia doesn't know how to convert from cm to ft so their ft numbers are wrong but their cm numbers are correct, wtf?

Anyway, but it's still quite surprising to me that Iniesta really is 5'5.

There was a study done from a Swiss research company last year, and Barca are the shortest team in any European top flight (I am not sure if the study included lower-tier leagues as well)

The tallest team in Europe was from the Ukraine.

Barcafan 2304

Offensively, does not concern me. Defensively, the lack of height has been an issue recently from set-pieces. It is why i will breathe a sigh of relief when Pique and Puyol are back together

Vegy

Those heights are wrong,it has Pedro and Messi as the same height when Messi is blatantly at least a inch bigger.I doubt they measure the players accurately.

I would say Pedro is 5'5/5'6,Xavi and Iniesta 5'6 and Messi 5'7

Whoa.. Messi isn't that tall. If anything, I'd say Xavi, Pedro, Iniesta, Messi, Adriano and Alves are all about the same height. And it is the Offical site you know...

But Height IS an issue for this team. It thrives on it. It's our miniature players that make us so dangerous to other teams - very fast with the ball and so hard to catch. It is natural that the smaller the player the better he is with the ball. And Barcelona play with a style that demands a a great ball control from their players. That is why Ibra ultimately failed at this club - he was too big and clumsy and made our attacks too slow, even if he had amazing skill with the ball. But because of the size of our players, we are vulnerable in set pieces, in the air and in physical tussles. That's why we usually have a hard time playing against an english opposition, who thrive on that kind of play. But luckily, Pep knows about the problem and has acted to minimize it. That Zonal marking works phenomenally and I'm constantly amazed that teams don't score as much as they should against Barcelona from set pieces. Yes, they have been scoring often lately, but by far less as they could.

One thing I've hoped Pep would do to even more minimize the problem is to buy a fast and tall CB. The likes of Hummels, Thiago Silva and David Luiz jump in the mind. I'm not suggesting buying one of them but buying a player similar to them. They are out there but rare.

And btw, I found this picture

View attachment 3746

I wonder if our average height was highest in that day...

Richard.H

My post was not intended to say that our height is a detriment to our squad. I'm just saying, it's amazing how it actually DOESN'T EFFECT us. This is why I love this sport: It's a game which relies heavily on skill and not heavily on athleticism and how tall/how buff a player is unlike other sports... COUGH basketball COUGH EVERY OTHER SPORT.

Richard.H

Those heights are wrong,it has Pedro and Messi as the same height when Messi is blatantly at least a inch bigger.I doubt they measure the players accurately.

I would say Pedro is 5'5/5'6,Xavi and Iniesta 5'6 and Messi 5'7

I'd have to agree here, Pedro and Xavi look shorter than Messi and Messi is 5'7. I wouldn't say Iniesta is shorter than Messi, he's the same height as him.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor

What are you talking about? Iniesta is 1.70 m, which is 5 ft 7 in as Wikipedia states. Wikipedia is correct.

Richard.H

What are you talking about? Iniesta is 1.70 m, which is 5 ft 7 in as Wikipedia states. Wikipedia is correct.

I know. It's just that when I used a unit converter it listed as 5.5 feet, which is correct, but I was too tired to realize that .5 feet = 6 inches and add some more integers after the .5 and you have 7 inches. Happy?

Vegy

My post was not intended to say that our height is a detriment to our squad. I'm just saying, it's amazing how it actually DOESN'T EFFECT us. This is why I love this sport: It's a game which relies heavily on skill and not heavily on athleticism and how tall/how buff a player is unlike other sports... COUGH basketball COUGH EVERY OTHER SPORT.

But it does effect us. As I said already, it makes us very dangerous and quite vulnerable too. But you are right - skill>physicue in this sport. That's why arguing over who is taller, Messi or Iniesta, is quite pointless.

coolasif

I think lack of height might come to haunt us at some point.We are forced to take short corners due to height factor.Lately we are conceding goal from corners for the same reason.We need a tall defenders like Pique who can guard our box from tall strikers and a huge striker like in the mould of Cavani or Fernando Lorete who is also a good header to convert some of our corners into goal.

Home of Barca Fans