Height of Our Players

W

Worms

Whoa.. Messi isn't that tall. If anything, I'd say Xavi, Pedro, Iniesta, Messi, Adriano and Alves are all about the same height. And it is the Offical site you know...

But Height IS an issue for this team. It thrives on it. It's our miniature players that make us so dangerous to other teams - very fast with the ball and so hard to catch. It is natural that the smaller the player the better he is with the ball. And Barcelona play with a style that demands a a great ball control from their players. That is why Ibra ultimately failed at this club - he was too big and clumsy and made our attacks too slow, even if he had amazing skill with the ball. But because of the size of our players, we are vulnerable in set pieces, in the air and in physical tussles. That's why we usually have a hard time playing against an english opposition, who thrive on that kind of play. But luckily, Pep knows about the problem and has acted to minimize it. That Zonal marking works phenomenally and I'm constantly amazed that teams don't score as much as they should against Barcelona from set pieces. Yes, they have been scoring often lately, but by far less as they could.

One thing I've hoped Pep would do to even more minimize the problem is to buy a fast and tall CB. The likes of Hummels, Thiago Silva and David Luiz jump in the mind. I'm not suggesting buying one of them but buying a player similar to them. They are out there but rare.

And btw, I found this picture

View attachment 3746

I wonder if our average height was highest in that day...

Your making it sound like 5'7 is aveage height or something,it's very small compared to most footballers.

Next time you see Pedro standing next to Messi when they celebrate a goal you will see that Messi is a inch or more bigger,trust me.

And yes I would say Iniesta is slightly taller than Xavi but slightly smaller than Messi as well,you can only notice when they stand next to each other.

I'm a sad bastard arn't I lol.

Last edited:

Vegy

Your making it sound like 5'7 is aveage height or something,it's very small compared to most footballers.
From where did you read that out?

The height difference between those two players is not considerable so as I already said, it is pointless to argue over it. They are both small in statue but make it up with their other attributes.

I'd rather discuss the topic of increasing our teams average height(or not).

Theconomist

They are actually only slightly below average height.Worldwide average height for males is 171 cm.
It's taller in central European countries and amongst african americans.
The tallest people on the planet are the dutch(185 average) the shortest are the pigmy tribes of new guinea.
Fun fact the tallest person in the world is a Japanese where the average height is only 170.
Another fun fact without Messi's HGH treatment he would have been 150cm fully grown.

W

Worms

They are actually only slightly below average height.Worldwide average height for males is 171 cm.
The tallest people on the planet are the dutch(185 average) the shortest are the pigmy tribes of new guinea.
Fun fact the tallest person in the world is a Japanese where the average height is only 170.
Another fun fact without Messi's HGH treatment he would have been 150cm fully grown.

the worldwide average means nothing though because the billions of asians drag it down,and as seen as there's barely any asians playing in Europe it is irrelevant.

coolasif

OMG that would be a scary prospect.Thank God we brought him here at the right time.

W

Worms

From where did you read that out?

The height difference between those two players is not considerable so as I already said, it is pointless to argue over it. They are both small in statue but make it up with their other attributes.

I'd rather discuss the topic of increasing our teams average height(or not).

Well you said and I quote "Whoa.. Messi isn't that tall." when in fact he is 5 foot 7.

And a inch + difference in height is considerable when in this thread we where talking about how tall our players are.

Home of Barca Fans