Unai Emery

Devils

Unai is a coward. And I would never want to see him anywhere any Barca teams, that includes the youth ones.

How can any manager completely abandon what worked so well in the first leg? Unai managed to turn a side who played brilliant football with incredible intensity and confidence to a bunch of cowardly sheep just waiting to be slaughtered over the course of 180 minutes.

I don't think that anyone would deny that if he stood by the strategy he had in the first leg, even if they only played 50% as good, they would have still qualified.

Personally I don't think his career will ever recover from this loss.

Horatio

You're welcome
Unai is a coward. And I would never want to see him anywhere any Barca teams, that includes the youth ones.

How can any manager completely abandon what worked so well in the first leg? Unai managed to turn a side who played brilliant football with incredible intensity and confidence to a bunch of cowardly sheep just waiting to be slaughtered over the course of 180 minutes.

I don't think that anyone would deny that if he stood by the strategy he had in the first leg, even if they only played 50% as good, they would have still qualified.

Personally I don't think his career will ever recover from this loss.

To be fair, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Emery's tactics for Camp Nou. What Barca pulled off is a 1 in a million stunt. On any other dayny other day a quality team parking the bus to defend a 4-0 lead is a guaranteed advancement. They even got their away goal. In every other parallel universe Emery is now a hero.

Last edited:

Devils

To be fair, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Emery's tactics for Camp Nou. What Barca pulled off is a 1 in a million stunt. On any other day a quality team parking the bus to defend a 4-0 lead is a guaranteed advancement.

Yes, parking the bus works if your team actually knows how to do it. PSG were clueless and their parked bus defence was chaos.

They way they executed their game plan was terrible and that falls on Emery.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, parking the bus works if your team actually knows how to do it. PSG were clueless and their parked bus defence was chaos.

They tried to change their game plan, but we beat them at it by pressing and closing them down like we were back to 2011.

But yeah, would not have Emery.

Also harder to park a bus against MSN. Whenever our tactics aren't batshit, I would bet on us tearing a bus apart 9/10 times. Parking a bus against Barcelona is overrated actually, only Atletico and Inter due to Ibra being a fucking immobile tower in the center are the only teams that have managed it, and even against those teams we could have gone through had not we gotten some decisions against us(UEFALONA LEL).

That Chelsea bus being the worst of all. We fucking destroyed that bus in 2012, but couldn't finish for shit. Hit the post thrice and Messi missed a penalty......

Last edited:

Messi983

Because Barça was a wreck that day. He used to look like that constantly, when he coached sevilla or valencia. He's not a winner in top-level. The lack of nerves of his players is telling.

Agree with that. My initial point was just that PSG probably appointed him because of his success with Sevilla in Europa League and thought this could work in CL as well. There is no doubt IMO that he's a better coach for KO competitions than league system. But yeah, probably not good enough to win CL.

That said, winning EL three times in a row it's still a great achievement. We can't take that away from him.

Horatio

You're welcome

Again to be fair, they got their away goal on the counter and managed to be right on track until the 88th minute! Barca then scored from a freekick, a penalty and a semi-setpiece as the wall was still set up as Neymar gave the cross. We lucked out heavily. We forced our luck sure, but still very lucky.

BarcaOG

Banned
his 2016/2017 has to go down as one of the worst managerial performances of all time. consider also that PSG's coup de france win against mighty Angers was decided by an own goal in the 92nd minute.

clearly illustrates how absurd the arguments that 1) managers have little influence or 2) managers with great squads are guaranteed success without much effort are.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
it's funny how no one mentioned the referee.

Buddy, take a look at what forum you're on. You think we're going to say PSG lost because of the ref (which they didn't; they lost because Emery set up his team for a cowardly performance and when things weren't going their way, they started reeling).

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Always found Emery a little overrated. Good cup manager, but no league title yet in over 13 years as a manager.

aaron101

Always found Emery a little overrated. Good cup manager, but no league title yet in over 13 years as a manager.

He's a good manager and did a great job with Valencia when they placed 3rd behind Madrid and Barca at the time. League title? who would win a League title with these teams... Almería, Valencia, Spartak Moscow, Sevilla?

Richard.H

He's a great Sevilla-Valencia-Villareal level manager. Should come back to La Liga to make it more competitive.

Home of Barca Fans