Unai Emery

Messi983

I've said many time he isn't a top coach. Don't understand why psg signed him if they wanted to win the CL.
A 4-0 lead, an away goal, and his team still collapsed. probably because he also did in the sidelines.

Maybe because of his success with Sevilla in Europa League they thought he's more of a tournament coach than league coach. And I believed that too and thought they had a good chances to win CL this season until Wednesday night.

Messi983

There was an arrogance to the way they set up.

They came to try and outplay Barca with passing football from the back to try and make a statement. Not even thinking tie still in balance.

Would have been better served pumping ball long to Cavani and playing off him.

I was affraid before the game he'd decide to pressure us high from the first minute and wait for our mistakes to capitalise on them. We've struggled this season against teams that put us under constant pressure. Yes, that was mostly in our old system but we also struggled early against Atletico (of course that could be because players were still not totally used to new system and we'll see how they'll do for the rest of the season against those type of teams) but I still think we'd be much more uncomfortable with them pressure us than just to sit back and defend the lead.

F

FlaFCB

Maybe because of his success with Sevilla in Europa League they thought he's more of a tournament coach than league coach. And I believed that too and thought they had a good chances to win CL this season until Wednesday night.

Europa is not the CL. Emery usually gets scared against big teams. I doubt he'll ever lead any team to a CL win.

F

FlaFCB

He didn't seem scared against us in first game. :)

Because Barça was a wreck that day. He used to look like that constantly, when he coached sevilla or valencia. He's not a winner in top-level. The lack of nerves of his players is telling.

Garrus

Europa is not the CL. Emery usually gets scared against big teams. I doubt he'll ever lead any team to a CL win.

What?, That makes no sense, Does the rules of football change in europa?
Europa is just as competitive as CL, What unai emery did with sevilla was history.
It wasn't long ago when Manchester united led by the great sir alex got their asses handed to them by goddamn atheltic bilbao in europa.
Not to mention thousands of examples of CL teams going to europa then getting knocked out, Your statement makes no sense.

F

FlaFCB

What?, That makes no sense, Does the rules of football change in europa?
Europa is just as competitive as CL, What unai emery did with sevilla was history.
It wasn't long ago when Manchester united led by the great sir alex got their asses handed to them by goddamn atheltic bilbao in europa.
Not to mention thousands of examples of CL teams going to europa then getting knocked out, Your statement makes no sense.

Have I mentioned anything about what he made with Sevilla not being history? No, I did not. And no, Europa is not as competitive as the CL. It's a very different level. Saying that it is it's what makes absolutely no sense.

Emery is not a top coach. He doesn't have the mental strenght to beat the biggest teams. It has always been the case, and it happened yet again. His players had a 4-0 lead, scored an away goal, and still panicked.

F

FlaFCB

would take him in a heartbeat .. To base a judgement on a single game is simply wrong.

My judgment on him is for years in la liga. I never understood why psg hired him, if they wanted the CL. I'd rather Lucho stayed for 10 years, to avoid having Emery as Barça coach.

Total-Football

My judgment on him is for years in la liga. I never understood why psg hired him, if they wanted the CL. I'd rather Lucho stayed for 10 years, to avoid having Emery as Barça coach.

You have to take everything into consideration. We are talking about Sevilla here, a team that has a very thin budget compared to big clubs. He's an attacking minded coach who plays with intensity and have that in your face attitude. They have won the UEFA which is not the Copa del rey or something trivial, he has won it defeating some solid teams. And, an average coach doesn't simply put 4 on barca playing that type of football. I see that he's doing good for a first season at PSG and they would be foolish to sack him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You have to take everything into consideration. We are talking about Sevilla here, a team that has a very thin budget compared to big clubs. He's an attacking minded coach who plays with intensity and have that in your face attitude. They have won the UEFA which is not the Copa del rey or something trivial, he has won it defeating some solid teams. And, an average coach doesn't simply put 4 on barca playing that type of football. I see that he's doing good for a first season at PSG and they would be foolish to sack him.

Hmm...you're actually describing his successor here, not sure what games you saw that made Sevilla resemble that under him. Sampaoli the one who has made Sevilla look great in Lliga and Champions League, changed that club to make them believe they could do better than being shit in away games in the Lliga and win ELs. Sevilla the second best away team in La Liga this season.

Emery's style is systematic chaos. Doubt that would work in Barcelona. No doubt he did great for Sevilla in the EL, but there's more to that.

JamDav1982

Emery should be nowhere near Barca.

Winning the Europa is good but it is a second rate trophy that most of the bigger teams dont care about.

They won 4-0 against a Barca that Leganes almost beat and they also gave up that 4-0 lead in worst way possible.

F

FlaFCB

Yet a much better coach in Sampaoli, with the same budget, is making Sevilla look much better than they ever did under Emery. Europa is not bigger in level to the Cdr. Cdr have Barça, rm, atletico. Not genks, gents and apoels. Celta and Bilbao also put 4 past this Barça before.

Total-Football

I see the point yall making about Sampoli ( although he still has a lot to prove because football has a long record of one season wonders ). But I was not doing any comparaisons, i was just making a case for Emrey being a suitable manager for us and i still believe that.

Home of Barca Fans