6925331750_5066d434d8_b.jpg

View attachment 3713

Name: Fabricio Coloccini
Squad number: 2
Nationality: Argentine
Born: 22nd January, 1982, Corodoba, Argentina
Height: 1.83m (6ft 0ins)
Weight:
Previous clubs: Boca Juniors, AC Milan, San Lorenzo (loan), Alaves (loan), Athletico Madrid (loan), Villarreal (loan), Deportivo La Coruna
Signed: August 2008 from Deportivo La Coruna

Newcastle United debut: 17th August, 2008 v Manchester United (away), Premier League
Position: Center Back

Coloccini joined Newcastle United on a five-year contract in August 2008 for a fee of up to £10.3 million.[4] Two days later, he made his debut against the reigning league champions, Manchester United, playing 90 minutes in a 1–1 away draw.
Coloccini playing against Ipswich Town in 2010.

Since his debut, Coloccini has been one of the most consistent inclusions in Newcastle's squad, and formed a partnership with fellow newcomer Sébastien Bassong in his first season. He was not immune to the pressures of representing Newcastle's infamous defence, coming under his most intense criticism for his performance in Newcastle's 5-1 defeat to Liverpool. Despite his mistakes in the game, manager Joe Kinnear voiced his support for Coloccini, stating that he believed his "Mr. Reliable" would bounce back.[5] On 1 February, Coloccini was substituted against Sunderland in the 93rd minute. Up until this point, he had played every minute of every game for Newcastle all season. He was dropped for the 1–1 draw with Stoke City, but played in Newcastle's 1–0 defeat to Aston Villa which saw them relegated.

Despite Newcastle's relegation, Coloccini stayed on and was the mainstay of the club's defence all season, partnering the likes of Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson, Fitz Hall and Tamás Kádár in the sturdiest rearguard of the league. He scored two goals for Newcastle since relegation, a header at Cardiff City,[6] and another header at Watford. The club was eventually promoted back to the Premier League as champions, and Coloccini's great contributions awarded him a place in the Championship's Team of the Year. Coloccini scored his third Newcastle goal against Wigan Athletic in the fourth minute of injury time as they came from two goals down to draw 2-2 at St James' Park, with that being his first goal in the Premier League on the same day that he captained Newcastle for the first time.[7] Coloccini scored a striker's finish in a 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur on 22 January 2011, the day of his 29th birthday and his 100th Newcastle appearance.

He continued his fine form for Newcastle into April, reforming his partnership with Mike Williamson after a brief time with Steven Taylor in January. On 2 April, Coloccini made numerous forward runs and forward roaming to help supply Peter Løvenkrands' goal in the 4-1 win over Wolves. Manager Alan Pardew complimented the defender, calling him a "top, top player" and asking him to "play it again" in regards to his increasing forward movement from the central defence.[8] On 8 July 2011, Coloccini was named Newcastle captain for the 2011-12 season.[9]

Colocinni is very much a Newcastle United fans favourite due to his skillful play, solid defending, good attacking play consistent performances for the past 2 years. Every match it seems he has a good game, and every good moment of play from Colocinni is followed by Newcastle fans singing his song as loud as they can. They sing it very often because he is consistently very good in almost every game he plays.

The song is a hit among the geordie fans who love a bit of humor, it goes(to the tune of 'I love you baby'):

'OH COLOCINNI....YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, OH COLOCINNI I'D LET YOU SH@G MY WIFE! OH COLOCINNI..... I WANT CURLY HAIR TOO!'

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

Colocinni of Newcastle United DEFINTIELY deserves a thread on here, such have ben his performances recently.

After a very tough start to life in English football in his first season(4 different managers in a relegation season) and not being up to speed with the English game and its physical side on occasions, and being picked on by match of the day pundits at times...........................................

Colocinni has been nothing but FANTASTIC for the last 2 years at Newcastle and for me is one of the best ball playing center backs in the Premier League. Such skill, poise, calmness and experience on the ball. He really is a leader. He has truly embraced the physical side of the Premier League and totally got to grips with it and combines it well with his technical ball playing skills. He always calmly passes it out of the back, and his clearances many times seem to be passes.

I'm sure all the other Newcastle fans that post on here will agree with me.

I would love to see Colocinni here at Barca to replace the sold Diego Milito.

No doubt the the no-nothing fans of football who only follow the top 4 or 5 clubs closely will come on here and say he is sh!t with ignorant arrogance after hardly having watched more than 2 Newcastle United games, those 2 games being when thier clubs play against Newcastle home and away during the season.

Colocinni has been top class and, deserves a call up to the Argentina squad for certain.

Last edited:

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Your Right, Hes a wonderful player, up there with Pique, Rio, Vidic and Nesta.

one of the best players I have ever seen, a true defensive rock, an Inspiration for all young defenders out there.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
If Nolan doesn't praise Coloccini, then you'll find no love for him on this forum.

Love his song though.

Yugi

I´ve watched Newcastle vs Arsenal and he was one I had to google because he really caught my eye
he was putting solid performance and dint let any ball through, but it was against Arsenal that lost 8-2 to United
also he is like what, 30? good defender tho

Hatem Ben Arfa

I´ve watched Newcastle vs Arsenal and he was one I had to google because he really caught my eye
he was putting solid performance and dint let any ball through, but it was against Arsenal that lost 8-2 to United
also he is like what, 30? good defender tho

Yes he played particularly well in that game against Arsenal. Then again he plays well in seemingly every game he plays.

He just turned 29. Valenica were enquiring about him in the summer transfer window. I would say he still has a good 4 years left in him at the top level.

He really does have amazing skill on the ball, and the calmness to play it out the back the majority of the time. He's never phased by a striker or winger closing him down. He is a crucial player to have for any side that wants to play possession football. He really would be an assest to any side he joins.

Not sure Iniesta likes him very much though. One of the recent times Spain played Argentina, Coloccini just kicked Iniesta and was very rough in general. It was a huge surprise given that that is not how he usually plays the game. He is more of a clean tackler and the type to make interceptions and read the game extremely well. Although in that game he was played at right back instead of his best position which is CB. I think maybe he was trying too hard to make an impression that game to get into Maradona's WC squad and just lost his cool and didn't play his normal way. That was the last time he was called up to Argentina NT.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans