The Preacher
CACERES_copia.jpg

Name: José Martín Cáceres
Position: Defender
Place of Birth: Montevideo (Uruguay)
Date of Birth: 07-04-1987
Height: 1.82 m
Weight: 77 kg

Martín Cáceres (7 April, 1987) started his career in the junior ranks of Defensor Montevideo and made his debut in the Uruguayan first division for the club in 2006. He played seventeen games, scored four goals and was shown five yellow cards. In the following season he would only play nine games with Defensor because his professional career would take a big step forward in the summer of 2007.
First, he took part in the South America U-20s championships where he helped Uruguay to third place as well as being named the tournament’s best defender. Cáceres repeated his fine performances in the U-20s World Cup in Canada and so generated interest from some European clubs.

Villarreal signed him in August 2007 but loaned him out to Recreativo. Martín Cáceres played a huge role in keeping the Andalusian side in the first division. Wearing the number 4 shirt, he played 34 games, scoring two goals and receiving ten yellow cards.

His fine season in Huelva brought him some recognition. He was included in UEFA’s team of upcoming stars for the 2007/08 season, along with Bojan Krkic. He also became a permanent fixture in the Uruguayan national side. His progress attracted FC Barcelona, who signed him in the summer of 2008.

Martín Cáceres, who stands at 1.82m, is noted for his aerial power, speed, aggression and bravery. And as well as playing as a central defender he can also play at full back or in a holding midfield role. With both Defensor Montevideo and Recreativo, as well as the Uruguayan national side, he has shown great leadership skills in defence, despite his young age. (fcbarcelona.com)

barSELOna

Re: José Martín Cáceres

I just think that his price? We have Valiente and we have a lot of defence in Barcelona Athletic.

You think back up player 'd be 17 m euro?

please use capital letters!

M.L. King

The Preacher
Re: José Martín Cáceres

We have a lot of young players but it seems Pep is not yet willing to promote some of them.

M.L. King

The Preacher
Re: 2 - José Martín Cáceres

A huge night for him, some strong tackles; played much better than Puyol.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Time for Caceres to get his chance. Syl didn`t look good on the left and Pique looks prone to mistakes. So just play Marquez and Puyol in CD. And let`s see Caceres on LB.

M.L. King

The Preacher

Couldn't agree more with you. Now it's time to try something new; we all saw what happened to Bojan who was completely lost owing to the lack of playing time. And just imagine if some of our defensive players got injured what would happen if some players would have to suddenly transmit to the ground as the starting CBs.

Pep it's time to react now!!!

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo

I don't see why he's not playing more regulary? he's shown promise and great potentional the times he has played.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

I don`t know how he played for the entire match but his intervention at Sporting`s 2nd goal was unacceptable. Marquez did miss that header but it was Caceres who should have marked Liedson

Evil

Shabazz

Apart from the second goal we conceeded against Sporting, I though Cáceres was solid.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo

Yes, as Tamer stated before, apart from that goal he impressed! i'd like to see him on the left against sevilla, Sylvinho is to old to out-run Navas.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Regarding the Sporting match, again. On the replay of the goal by Liedson I thought he was partly to blame but then again Marquez did miss that header.
I`m so glad I watched the entire match later on as Caceres really impressed me a lot. He really deserves more starts!

Home of Barca Fans