Create a team to beat Barcelona.

Theconomist

Al right so before you go off here are some rules to this rather fun game.
1-Player must be currently playing.
2-No point being funny and including Hercules,Arsenal or Madrid's squad on the account of they beat us last season be original.
3-No stoke city at the Britannia that is just not going to happen.
4-Creativity people!

Here I go.
Btw no need to include subs.

Now the ideal formation to beat Barcelona I believe is one with two holding midfielders two playmakers that can act as wingers to provide crosses to a target man and a secondary striker behind him. The holding midfielders will (hopefully) successfully shut down MVP and the constant pressure from the attackers will (hopefully) render Xavinesta useless.
I try not to include a lot of Madrid players as they've shown repeatedly in the past that they cannot get the job done well.

Stekelenberg
Ramos Vidic Hummels Kompany

Alonso De Jong

Silva Sneijder

Ronaldo Gomez

Reason for choices.

Stekelenberg- This one was a hard choice however I believe that with Van Der Sar out of the picture and not being able to pic Valdes this guy definitely deserves the nod over Casillas.
Ramos- Very consistent against Barcelona and the 2nd best right back in the world.
Vidic- The rock at the back of Manchester United's defence yes Barcelona overcame him more than once but he is quality.
Hummels- Hummels is a very pacy defender and with the inclusion of Kompany who is a very defensive minded player I think his inexperience will not prove to be disastrous.
Kompany- Has played as a left back for city a few times and he is very defensive which is exactly what you need to shut down MVP.
Alonso- THE most consistent madrid player against Barcelona and a quality midfielders that can act as a holding as well as a deep playmaker.
Silva- In my books one of the best playmakers in the world right now.His form for city last year was simply marvellous and he is continuing to shine.Him knowing most of our players from the national team also helps.
Sneijder- I don't think this one needs explaining if you need a goal but do not know how this guy is the key.The Dutch Iniesta.
Ronaldo-Self explanatory as well we do shut him down rather efficiently however I believe that by playing as a forward he can produce.His long range shots and cuts from the wings come to mind.
Gomez- The big WTF? in my team.Let me explain as someone who watches the Bundesliga I can tell you that Gomez is probably one of the most underrated german players in history. This guy SCORES.That's it.He isn't the fastest, the brightest, the most technical or the best finisher but this guy SCORES. The obvious should would have been Eto'o however I haven't seen much of him lately and Gomez seems like a safer bet in terms of headers.

Your critisizm? Your team.
Go ahead.

Btw keep in mind that I do realise that a world Best XI right now would porbably include at least Messi,Iniesta,Xavi,Pique,Alves so it's very hard to find players that can match our own on paper but it's fun nonetheless.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
i dont really agree with ramos being in the team as against barca he has done pretty poor in the defending part...he scores some goals vs barca but his defending has never been that astute vs barca not to mention all the cards he gets....right off the top of my head i cant offer any better solutions besides maybe maicon
bombayblue™;652167 said:
Cech
Ivanovic Alex JT A.Cole
Meireles Mikel Lampard
Sturridge Torres Mata

and a neutral referee.
lol aint gonna happen with that mug torres in the lineup LOL

dalitis8

Banned
bombayblue™;652167 said:
Cech
Ivanovic Alex JT A.Cole
Meireles Mikel Lampard
Sturridge Torres Mata

and a neutral referee.

I cannot hide that my heart has greatly desired this.

I wish we meet again...

E

estranged

Cech
Ivanovic Alex JT A.Cole
Meireles Mikel Lampard
Sturridge Torres Mata

That team would get absolutely steamrolled by this current Barca, even if the referee sends off one of our defenders for no reason and denies us a clear penalty :)

dalitis8

Banned
My first reaction would be to choose the best players in the world, that are not already playing for Barca. So, let me have a go:

---------------------Iker Casillas-----------------------
----Bosingwa*----Vidic-----Thiago Silva----Coentrao*--
-------------Pepe---------De Jong---------------------
-------------------Yaya Toure-------------------------
-------CR7-------------Rooney------------Silva--------

*I am really torn on the full-back positions, maybe it should have read Marcelo and Ramos.

**A star-studded and muscular team.

***Silva can be interchanged by either Aguero/Nasri

Last edited:

dalitis8

Banned
de jong is one of the worlds best DMs? :lol:

No, he is not. But he is strong, that is why he gets my nod. I though about replacing him with Cambiasso. But I chose not to, because I felt that one great season, does not a world-class player make.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
This team will lose to Barca by at least a 5 goal margin.

Ferdi? Abate? Cazorla? Armero? beating Barca? NO WAY!!!

As for Wesley, he got lucky once.

The formation is the ideal one to counter Barca imo... A centre half, able to play as a DM, to try and put Messi at check. 2 CB's to cope up with our inside forwards. The wing backs not only provide width, but more importantly push our fullbacks backwards which would crucially affect our own width. Rooney will pressure Busi so the fluidity in our midfield is affected. Silva, Sneijder and Cazorla are three world class midfielders who have all been neck to neck with our maestros previously(at least a few times if not every time)... If they can't cope up with them then none can!!

I was really torn between choosing or omitting Wilshere... But he had to make way because I am adamant about 3CB's, the two wingers who are equally good in the midfield which Wilshere is not.
I could have picked Wilshere ahead of Sneijder but I thought Rooney would be too much isolated up front that way

Besides... If this team is not able enough for the task, how can our team do anything to a goal blocked by ALMUNIA!? He's a fucking hero when playing us :p

Last edited:

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
bombayblue™;652167 said:
Cech
Ivanovic Alex JT A.Cole
Meireles Mikel Lampard
Sturridge Torres Mata

and a neutral referee.

no Essien = no chance

---------------- Iker
-- Ramos -- Vidic -- Hummels -- Evra
------- Pepe --------- Toure
------------- Sneijder
-- Cristiano ---------------- Aguero
--------------- Eto'o

coach: who else?

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
Seriously, guys?

Bergovic
Huth-Woodgate-Shawcross-Hinginbottom
Pennant-Wilson-Palacios-Etherington
Crouch-Jones

On a rainy night.

Author has taken Stoke City out because he knows that they are OP.

Last edited:

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
very very arrogant thread imo any team can beat us on any day hercules... there ya go... inter milan... real madrid in copa del rey.. i win

dalitis8

Banned
very very arrogant thread imo any team can beat us on any day hercules... there ya go... inter milan... real madrid in copa del rey.. i win

Obviously we are referring to a team that not only can beat Barca if they get lucky. But a team than can deal with Barca, without any luck. A team that can deal with Barca even if they are playing well.

Home of Barca Fans