Most promising youngster that flopped?

N

nejcf15

Braga? seriously? bad news for my favorite Slovenian club then (Maribor will play vs Braga in Europa League)...

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Villareal* and what bout Gerard Lopez? Cristian Ceballos? Thiago Motta? Arnau? and give bojan time... he's only 20.

As much of a reject Motta was, he never flopped in the sense of the word. I mean he did win the treble at Inter didn't he?

Francesc Arnau was definitely a flop alongside Gerard Lopez, tho.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
babangidaharuna.jpg

/thread.

ranjix

Jefecito
fran merida joined braga on loan. i remember when i saw him with u19 against estonia here. he ran the whole show and everybody said he's from arsenal and will have a great future. though in the end i checked out and the player was actually thiago :D i still havent told them that...

:lol:

House of Flies

LOL.

Now that's what I call a FLOP.

Edit: Jatin - wasn't he featuring only in a few games here and there?

superb record for a winger whilst playing for barca b. could play on either flank and had speed as his main asset. was signed by barcelona from the famed ajax academy at the age of 15. i think at a time (or probably still is) the youngest player to feature for barcelona in a friendly at that age.

but he failed immensely after that- taking him from club to club without ever finding a home and at perhaps what could have been his peak age (given his position), he is unemployed after failing a trial at a dutch club. ironic isnt it? that to me has to be the biggest flop ever conceived by a future star at barcelona.

people that are putting motta, de la pena, bojan, dos santos, falque, merida or others cannot fathom the fail, Haruna Babangida has been able to achieve.
--------

some articles to show the gauge the fail

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11833_2219905,00.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/gabriele_marcotti/news/2001/02/13/marcotti_insider/

Last edited:

House of Flies

For the lazy people that dont want to read the Gabriele Marcotti List of 26 would be superstars- I present to you, the midfielder section

Midfielders

Haruna Babangida (Barcelona/Nigeria/18) - Natural winger who likes to cut inside and has been compared to Finidi George.

Yossi Benayoun (Maccabi Haifa/Israel/20) - Scores tons of goals from midfield, is also a penetrating passer and a talented dribbler.

Michael Carrick (West Ham/England/19) - Tall, elegant, all-purpose midfielder, has the ability to open up opposing defenses.

Joe Cole (West Ham/England/19) - Looks more Brazilian than English, creative, superb dribbler with a lovely touch.

Samuele Dalla Bona (Chelsea/Italy/20) - Big and strong, yet extremely gifted player with a fearsome long-range shot.

Mahamadou Diarra (Vitesse Arnhem/Mali/19) - Outrageously talented offensive midfielder, expected to move to big club soon.

Landon Donovan (Bayer Leverkusen/United States/18) - Developing slowly since going to Germany, needs to harness his considerable talent; also plays as a forward.

Emre (Galatasaray/Turkey/20) - Smart, talented and unselfish, can only continue to improve with age.

Pontus Farnerud (Monaco/Sweden/20) - Great vision and physical presence, elegant passer who already plays like a veteran.

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United/Scotland/16) - Right-side midfielder already drawing inevitable comparisons to David Beckham.

Antonio La Fortezza (Bari/Italy/18) - Vicious, aggressive busy ball-winner in the Roy Keane mold.

Mourad Meghni (Bologna/France/16) - Product of France's Clairefontaine academy, highly reminiscent of Zinedine Zidane.

-----------

Its intriguing to see where these names have ended up but I forgot to mention one other point- Babangida was so good that he was selected for the 1999 U-20 world cup as one of the few 16 years olds. Casillas was a year older.

Last edited:

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
though sergio santamaria was the epitome of shit... he was never hyped as much as babangida was.

I actually remember having Babangida in my Ajax team on Fifa '98. An absolute beast.

But jesus the amount of teams he has been going through ever since he left Barça B. Nearly equals Cissé's record there.

Last edited:

House of Flies

no one wants him, poor guy. he had it all when he was 13 only to lose everything at 28. cant even say that he actually earned a lot of money either.

he was a beast in all the games. CM 99, 00, 01... so beastly

Home of Barca Fans