Thiago 2
Adriano 1
Alexis 1
Iniesta 1
Pique 1
Alves 1
Abidal 1

Manuel Traquete

To think some were arguing we didn't need Cesc!

And they will keep arguing it because it's the truth. I seem to remember us winning 2 continental doubles in 3 seasons without Cesc. He needs us to succeed, not the other way round. We'd be the world's best team without him, he'd not win trophies without us.

dalitis8

Banned
And they will keep arguing it because it's the truth. I seem to remember us winning 2 continental doubles in 3 seasons without Cesc. He needs us to succeed, not the other way round. We'd be the world's best team without him, he'd not win trophies without us.

That is totally besides the point. Sure he needs us to win trophies. Everyone needs us to win trophies, since Barca win most.

But the point is that Cesc makes the team stronger and more complete. Forget about tonight's easy match...with Iniesta out for a month or so, our team would be heavily exposed as happened in the past (plus extra pressure on Xavi) In 08/09 in the Jan to Feb period when we dropped several points in La Liga and also were under par in the first leg Last 16 game against Lyon. Same happened when Iniesta was injured in the closing stages of of 09/10 season when we unceremoniously lost our European crown to Internazionale of all teams.

Cesc (like I have repeatedly stated) is our guarantee that even if one of our three little midfield geniouses is injured, we will still hold undisputed midfield sway.

And after all, what's so wrong about having the top 3 midfielders in the world under one roof?

Barcafan 2304

That is true and i remember saying that to months back but in order to maintain success and push on, you need to constantly improve and evolve. Yes, we were succesful without Cesc, you are right. But to maintain that, signings like Cesc are paramount. You can never stand still

Manuel Traquete

That is totally besides the point. Sure he needs us to win trophies. Everyone needs us to win trophies, since Barca win most.

But the point is that Cesc makes the team stronger and more complete. Forget about tonight's easy match...with Iniesta out for a month or so, our team would be heavily exposed as happened in the past (plus extra pressure on Xavi) In 08/09 in the Jan to Feb period when we dropped several points in La Liga and also were under par in the first leg Last 16 game against Lyon. Same happened when Iniesta was injured in the closing stages of of 09/10 season when we unceremoniously lost our European crown to Internazionale of all teams.

Cesc (like I have repeatedly stated) is our guarantee that even if one of our three little midfield geniouses is injured, we will still hold undisputed midfield sway.

And after all, what's so wrong about having the top 3 midfielders in the world under one roof?

I think everyone agrees with that. Cesc has only made the squad stronger in many senses: he's a fantastic impact sub, he can cover for Xavi and Iniesta and he brings some qualities that our other current midfielders don't have (eg. he's more direct than either Xavi or Iniesta, and a better goalscorer), not to mention he has such great chemistry with Messi.

But saying we NEEDED him seems to suggest that we'd struggle without him, which is not the case at all. There are a handful of players who would make Barca stronger/deeper, which doesn't mean we need them all.

Also, I'm not totally convinced that Cesc is the third best midfielder in the world, although I hope he proves it this season. So far, 4 goals and 4 assists is a brilliant return, hope he keeps it up.

And I don't think Cesc can fully replace Iniesta. Andrés is a once in a generation player imo and the best midfielder in the world. There's no way one single player can replace him, it will take a collective effort. As good as Cesc is, what he has to offer doesn't replace Iniesta's dribbling and darting runs through the defense. Especially in big games, I feel that Iniesta is our most important player along with Messi. Sure, it's better to have Cesc on his place than Keita, but it's still not the same.

Manuel Traquete

That is true and i remember saying that to months back but in order to maintain success and push on, you need to constantly improve and evolve. Yes, we were succesful without Cesc, you are right. But to maintain that, signings like Cesc are paramount. You can never stand still

Yes, I agree with that. I believe signing Cesc and Sanchez was the right move this summer, one that will allow us to remain on top.

But at least in my book, a player is needed when he's an improvement on our current starting XI, and I don't think that's the case here. Cesc is world class and has many years ahead of him, but as of right now he's far from an improvement on Xavi/Iniesta.

That said, I must admit he's great. I know he'd do well here, but he's surpassing my expectations. 4 goals and 4 assists is an incredible return and his combo with Messi is deadly. I just hope he can stay injury-free.

Barcafan 2304

Yes, I agree with that. I believe signing Cesc and Sanchez was the right move this summer, one that will allow us to remain on top.

But at least in my book, a player is needed when he's an improvement on our current starting XI, and I don't think that's the case here. Cesc is world class and has many years ahead of him, but as of right now he's far from an improvement on Xavi/Iniesta.

That said, I must admit he's great. I know he'd do well here, but he's surpassing my expectations. 4 goals and 4 assists is an incredible return and his combo with Messi is deadly. I just hope he can stay injury-free.

Yip, certainly provides us with something new and more of an attacking threat from the middle of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans