User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Barca sign a defender?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

143 67.45%
  • No

69 32.55%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Barca sign a defender?

Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should Barca sign a defender?

Giuseppe Rossi, Alexis Sanchez and Cesc Fabregas caught the most attention from Barcelona sport papers this summer and it seems that the club is not keen on purchasing a defender.
    There were some rumors about Jose Angel and Capdevila but it seems that neither will be joining pep's team.

Mascherano did a good job at the back and the club just announced that Fontas will be promoted. Are they enough to cover for Puyol-Pique duo or do we need to look elsewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alves, Montoya (Guardiola will probably promote him next season), Pique, Puyi, Fontas, Adriano, Abidal (hope maxwell leaves) and also with busquets and mascherano able to play as CB I dont see reason.... and my bet is that Muniesa and Montoya are certain starters for CDR matches
    I am P ositive T hinking C ule

Flavia
    No, I think we're covered in defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not for now. Think there is adequate cover already and there are other priorities.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I prefer a forward/Cesc over a defender right now.

Hi, its me..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on the abidal situation + maxwell

the fact masch was so awesome at CB last season makes me warm

Mr. Japes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RB: Alves/Adriano/Montoya
    CB: Pique/Puyol/Abidal/Fontas/Bartra
    LB: Abidal/Adriano/Maxwell

I presume Milito will leave since he's awful. That looks okay. I wouldn't be averse to getting another CB. Depends how ready we think Fontas and Bartra are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO Milito(injurie prone) and Maxwell(not have Barça class plus entering in 30's) will leave so Fontas was promoted and we should buy a new LB with the remaining money from Alexis/Cesc.
    RB: Dani/Adriano
    CB: Pique/Puyol/Abi/Masch
    LB: Abi/Adriano
    I'm supposing Fontas and Montoya will not play in the most important games so to 4 spots we will have 5 choises plus 1 adapted in Masch for 6 different competitions.... I think we need a good/young LB.
    Plus if can have 7 experient players for 3 spots in midfield why have only 5 experient defenders for 4 spots (and Puyol dealing with injuries) just remember the troubles from last year.
    Last edited by rmpcsl; 11th July 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its puzzling poll..
    i think we should replace maxwell with another LB and sell Milito..
    is that considered a yes or no at the poll?

Its puzzling poll..
    i think we should replace maxwell with another LB and sell Milito..
    is that considered a yes or no at the poll?
    Xavi's Cups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mascherano and Busquets are not reliable there, they can fill the gap for few games, but not for the entire season. The away game with Real Sociedad and Mascherano's error proves my point. His strength lies in midfield. Considering the condition of Abidal, I don't think he can carry out the entire season, and the ageing Puyol suffers from injuries quite often. I like Fontas though, but it's up to Pep. If he thinks he's ready and has the potential to be the next leader in defence, then he can save some money. But I prefer to see someone experienced there. Milito and Maxwell have to go.

New signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a right back in case something happens to Alves. Whenever Alves is gone, Puyol does his job but he is finding it extremely hard to play right back. I'm surprised by how many left backs we have -.-
    You don't work hard. You give everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, we need to look at it in time but the reason i said no is because there is adequate cover for now and there are other priorities

Yusuf Islam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin cacares
    general gooners

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysical View Post
    and FINALLY

there's a whole generation of whingy little metrosexual myspace kids (or, former whingy little metrosexual myspace kids) who came of age when arsene's team were in their pomp around the turn of the century. these new breed of gooners are as myopic as their manager and come out with ridiculous statements like "we don't need ashley cole, clichy is better~!!!" and have a crazy inflated view of their own players and abilities. nuts is a great example.

New signing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell Milito and Henrique. Buy Yaroslav Rakitsky or Mamadou Sakho for backup and Fontas can play in the weaker matches to gain experience.
    Sell Maxwell and buy young, talented LB who will be ready for a year or two to replace Abidal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugi View Post
    Alves, Montoya (Guardiola will probably promote him next season), Pique, Puyi, Fontas, Adriano, Abidal (hope maxwell leaves) and also with busquets and mascherano able to play as CB I dont see reason.... and my bet is that Muniesa and Montoya are certain starters for CDR matches
    We sure do need a defender. Mainly a CB, but with no real cover at RB, a sub for Alves should also be looked at. Puyol is too old, too slow and now, injury prone. We need to have a solid #1 CB to accompany Pique. Although Abidal has played quite solidly at CB, he is a LB not a CB. Masche is not a CB, he is a defensive midfielder. He is not able to deal with headers in the box, he is too slow and loves getting into rash challenges (last thing Barca needs in the penalty box). Fontas and Montoya are in no way ready to play a starting role at CB...I wouldnt even risk subbing them in other than the very last minutes of games. Busquets is not nearly physical enough for CB, his technique gets him by in the middle but you cant afford to be playing too much football at the back. Adriano and Alves working the flanks = defending counter attack nightmare (particularly now with more and more teams playing with 11 behind the ball against us). Adriano is much better attacking than defending, lets be honest.
    Last edited by Stoichkov; 12th July 2011 at 09:28 AM.