Qatar FC

Newcomer

Yep, I can agree with that.

I know I make fun of PSG a lot, but I remember their good team in the 90s with Rai, Simone and Maurice. My local team is Steaua Bucharest. We won 3-0 in the first leg back in 97 or 98 and lost 0-5 in Paris. :D They have had a connection with Brazilian players which precedes the Qatari takeover. Also, back then their kits where mainly blue with red and white.

Yup.
This period was my first years of following football and loving PSG without even realizing (think it was around 92-94 i became a conscious fan of PSG).

I experienced that golden period of PSG. ^^

And as you said, PSG was the club able to move past obstacles or mountains in Europe and win against the odds. They had made that mistake in allowing Fournier to play and lost the game 2 -3 on the field but 0 - 3 due to administrative error. So they had to win by 4 goal margin at the least since winning by 3 would be equal to elimination.

At this time, PSG was the one doing "remontada" but we were quite inconsistent in league. PSG in most of their history have been a cup club, with a lot of wins in domestics cups and those 5 consecutive european semi finals as well.

Nowadays, we have become very consistent in league but kinda shit in cup format. What a reversal of fate.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

Yep, I can agree with that.

I know I make fun of PSG a lot, but I remember their good team in the 90s with Rai, Simone and Maurice. My local team is Steaua Bucharest. We won 3-0 in the first leg back in 97 or 98 and lost 0-5 in Paris. :D They have had a connection with Brazilian players which precedes the Qatari takeover. Also, back then their kits where mainly blue with red and white.

Wasn't their team with George Weah big hit in Champions League... And the AC Milan "stole" him...
And kit was great to.

That was likable team back then... But these days...

Newcomer

Wasn't their team with George Weah big hit in Champions League... And the AC Milan "stole" him...
And kit was great to.

Yeah.

It is exactly what happened.
The worst part is Milan bought him and he played like shit against his future club.
So fans have a sour taste un the mouth because they believe he didn't give his all.

Newcomer

And kit was great to.

Nothing has changed much though except for your perception.

Have you seen the graph with clubs that have spent the most ?

Look how the italian clubs were far above anyone in the 90's.
Especially, Inter and Milan AC.
Yet, no one cries about all the money they threw to buy their success. In contrary, they are lauded as big clubs and institutions. Oddly enough, when their owners stopped investing, they could hardly reach Champions League qualification spot in league.

The same italian teams that have been accused of doping before and the whole bribing and corruption scandal of Calciopoli and still, i see nothing but respect for them here.
No contempt.

I find that odd. Or maybe this is what is called double standard.

JerseyAddict

Nothing has changed much though except for your perception.

Have you seen the graph with clubs that have spent the most ?

Look how the italian clubs were far above anyone in the 90's.
Especially, Inter and Milan AC.
Yet, no one cries about all the money they threw to buy their success. In contrary, they are lauded as big clubs and institutions. Oddly enough, when their owners stopped investing, they could hardly reach Champions League qualification spot in league.

The same italian teams that have been accused of doping before and the whole bribing and corruption scandal of Calciopoli and still, i see nothing but respect for them here.
No contempt.

I find that odd. Or maybe this is what is called double standard.

Maybe it is because no one wants so hard to be "a big player" by shere force of money like PSG. They just push and push and push it so hard... and then this with Neyboy and Veratti and Rabiot and all this really makes PSG non likable club.

JerseyAddict

Yeah.

It is exactly what happened.
The worst part is Milan bought him and he played like shit against his future club.
So fans have a sour taste un the mouth because they believe he didn't give his all.

Exactly. He went over just before and then played like shit... yes... I remeber it now clearly. LOL. That was some shit. Almost Neyboy style. :lol: But GW wen't to bigger club not like Ney.

Newcomer

Maybe it is because no one wants so hard to be "a big player" by shere force of money like PSG. They just push and push and push it so hard... and then this with Neyboy and Veratti and Rabiot and all this really makes PSG non likable club.

Lol. This is exactly what said clubs did at the time. The bias is just it is not recent anymore.

Remember Chelsea more recently ? They pushed even harder than PSG at the time (well, they had no FFP to stop them) and now, people kinda accept them as a "big" club.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/b1q7s0/who_spent_more_money_creditfootball_dor/

Look at Inter in these graphics. Didn't they push really hard ? Yet, they are not viewed as buying success. And, i do remind you that this represent net transfers without adjusted inflation. So, that means that at the time, they spent way more than what you can see from "new money" PSG.

What is the problem with Neymar though ? Is PSG the only club paying a buy out clause ? i don't think so. The only problem you can have with this transfer is the obvious bias that you are a Barca fan and it is understandable. But really, there is nothing wrong with it.
What about Verratti ? PSG bought him when he was in his Serie B club. They just did good business. Or maybe you are talking about the fact the club didn't let him go to Barcelona ? Last summer, Lewandoski was telling anyone and everyone that he wanted to go to Real Madrid. What did Bayern do ? They said they'll make an example to show they are a big club and their stance is not to sell him for any amount of money. So, why is it ok for Bayern but not for PSG ?
What about Rabiot now ? The guy and his mom agent are insufferable. They keep crying he has been punished for not being there in time for a pre match meeting and is jealous of Neymar. Well, Mbappé who is the second biggest star of the club got the exact same treatment Rabiot got and i don't see his mother/father crying in the press. Rabiot mom is handling the situation like a circus, same way Icardi wife is acting. This is the difference when you have "competent" agents or "sensitive and close relative" agent. Also, if you want to talk about the fact he is not playing, singling out PSG is just a symptom of your ignorance or misinformation. The same situation was happening to Munir if he didn't agree to leave in the winter market. Rabiot decided to stay so that means he likely welcomed the outcome. Also, it is not rare to see that. Just in Ligue 1, you had Todibo who was in the exact same position at Toulouse. At Lyon, there is Yanga Mbiwa, there was Henri Bedimo at Marseille (who got a worse treatment). The only difference is Rabiot has a lot of support in instance and press, for whatever reason.

So, i think i have successfully, showed you that those issues are not unique and i don't understand why those same incidents (or worse incident like Calciopoli) are not used to villify any club other than PSG.

That is why i talk about bias and double standard.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

Well, I think you are getting it to personal by yourself ;)
The fact is I don't really care a lot about PSG and his moneyspending habbits ... And I don't blame them for buying Neymar. I hold a lot more to the latter.

Since I am on a mobile sipping coffe on a sunny terrace (custom named fjaka in Croatia) I will try to be as short as possible.

First things first:
I newer said italian clubs did not do in 90's what PSG does now. Hell Real does it. I dislike "big three" in Italy just because of it. I like a way smaller club there that gives it's best to compete with them Nd fails. By shere "numbers of $" AC Milan and Inter fileld in them by former presidents they succeded. Juventus is another story. I dislike them.

Bayern is a big fish in a small pond. They did with Lewa soething he deserved when he fu BVB... So I won't cry a river for him.
Real is above them all in money flow.

Chelsea was a small club with money (Arsenal fans song) until Ambramović stroke gold with that UCL win. And I think it will never happen again. So I dislike them too.

Barça spends a lot. But at least Barça has a bragging right that the best and greatest period of the clubs history is with it's own kids. The same goes for Spain NT.

To return to PSG.
The fact is...
PSG was and is a small club in european/world terms. And they wanted to gain "respect" with forcing buying stars and kicking around in France. When you look at UCL results in last 6-7 years for PSG you can not laugh. Sory but facts are facts. At least Chelsea won UCL. At least Inter did it. We all laughed at them and the amonut of money they invested for it.

About Rabiot. I know about his mother and things she pulled. I don't like it a bit. That is why even more it makes funny that PSG insisted on keeping him. I would kick out them out of my club in a second. Perhaps he is now put for an example. And good he is.
Inter should learn a thing or two about it. Wanda regarded.

Veratti is a different thing. PSG tried to show he is non selling club. Good. But you can't push people to extend and who knows how force them to do it. They should let him go.
Neyboy was something like show of power. Insted you got injury prone player, spoiled star and his entourage in a 222+mil package.

And all of this for what? To win Ligue1? OMG.

And when people laugh about it, it is just because it is f* funny. Spend billion for what? Ligue1 titles? OMG.

Newcomer

Well, I think you are getting it to personal by yourself ;)
The fact is I don't really care a lot about PSG and his moneyspending habbits ... And I don't blame them for buying Neymar. I hold a lot more to the latter.

Since I am on a mobile sipping coffe on a sunny terrace (custom named fjaka in Croatia) I will try to be as short as possible.

First things first:
I newer said italian clubs did not do in 90's what PSG does now. Hell Real does it. I dislike "big three" in Italy just because of it. I like a way smaller club there that gives it's best to compete with them Nd fails. By shere "numbers of $" AC Milan and Inter fileld in them by former presidents they succeded. Juventus is another story. I dislike them.

Bayern is a big fish in a small pond. They did with Lewa soething he deserved when he fu BVB... So I won't cry a river for him.
Real is above them all in money flow.

Chelsea was a small club with money (Arsenal fans song) until Ambramović stroke gold with that UCL win. And I think it will never happen again. So I dislike them too.

Barça spends a lot. But at least Barça has a bragging right that the best and greatest period of the clubs history is with it's own kids. The same goes for Spain NT.

To return to PSG.
The fact is...
PSG was and is a small club in european/world terms. And they wanted to gain "respect" with forcing buying stars and kicking around in France. When you look at UCL results in last 6-7 years for PSG you can not laugh. Sory but facts are facts. At least Chelsea won UCL. At least Inter did it. We all laughed at them and the amonut of money they invested for it.

About Rabiot. I know about his mother and things she pulled. I don't like it a bit. That is why even more it makes funny that PSG insisted on keeping him. I would kick out them out of my club in a second. Perhaps he is now put for an example. And good he is.
Inter should learn a thing or two about it. Wanda regarded.

Veratti is a different thing. PSG tried to show he is non selling club. Good. But you can't push people to extend and who knows how force them to do it. They should let him go.
Neyboy was something like show of power. Insted you got injury prone player, spoiled star and his entourage in a 222+mil package.

And all of this for what? To win Ligue1? OMG.

And when people laugh about it, it is just because it is f* funny. Spend billion for what? Ligue1 titles? OMG.

I'm not getting personal at all. I just want to correct bias and misinformation about a club i know more about.

You just gave me another example of that. Verratti didn't extend his contract since the last time in 2016. But the narrative was that PSG refused to sell him to Barça and forced him to renew. Well, turned out it was was just that. A narrative. PSG did force him to change agent though, since the former one was being disrespectful to the employer of his player. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marco-verratti/profil/spieler/102558

And yes, PSG won Ligue 1. Did you expect PSG to win Eredivisie, Serie A or Bundesliga ?

I agree about the fact PSG has been awful in Champions League though. The last exit against MU is nothing but laughable. Losing against a team depleted of 11 or 13 players, most of them being starters... And MU couldn't even string 5 passes together. Embarassing stuff.
It comes all down to PSG going backwards since the time they pushed Leonardo out. He did wonderful in the market. The backbone of the team had been built under his direction and it is coming to an end. He brought a lot of professionalism with him and i think he will do great at Milan AC.
Nevertheless, there are not many teams winning CL lately. Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been dominating the competition. Juventus is doing great as well but can't win the final match.

Neymar purchase makes so much sense that i don't understand why people see it as some of tantrum. The guy is an exceptional player with excellent talent. He showed he has big balls and big game mentality. On top of that, he has an insane marketability. As you pointed out, PSG plays in Ligue 1 and that limits their exposure compared to a similar club like City. Thus, they can't have the same TV rights money, the same sponsoring money and so on, and so on. Neymar is supposed to bring that to PSG, on top of the sporting matters. Some posters here was telling how PSG was copying Barça, but this move is along the line of Galactico era under Florentino Perez. For their standards, Galactico era could be seen as a semi failure, however it put Real Madrid back in the track as a financial powerhouse.
I would tell you that PSG couldn't have spent those 222 M better to get that whole package.

Do you think it is just a coincidence PSG is the only team with 2 different brands with Jordan collaboration on top of Nike ? Neymar is notoriously linked with Jordan brand across the years.
PSG is known to be willing to use the Paris name to push their brand as something bigger than just a football club. Like people wearing Lakers stuff even if they never watch a basketball game or people wearing Yankees caps even if they don't watch baseball. PSG has been doing a lot of collaborations with fashion brands like Bathing Ape, Koché, Hugo Boss,etc. https://urbanpitch.com/psg-embraced-fashion-culture-become-footballs-hippest-team/ https://www.soccerbible.com/lifestyle/clothing/2019/01/psgs-trailblazing-strides-in-fashion/

The only 2 other footabllers with that potential are Messi and CR7, bone of them were available. Neymar was.

I know from the outside, you can't really see that strategy but it still exists. As said by Ligue 1 president, the star factor of PSG will also bring more viewers and income. Meaning more TV rights for every team in Ligue 1, which is good for the whole league. The distribution of that money is supposed to benefit more the lower clubs who will gain twice as much or more. A bigger exposure of Ligue 1 means also better sponsoring contracts for PSG, maybe a better quality since other teams won't be as pressed to sell their good players as before.

I'm happy for you with your day outside. I'm myself in a very sunny location, so i'm kinda fine.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Seems like PSG is following closely Florentino from Benfica.

I don't really follow the portuguese league. So, if anyone has any information about him and if they think a transfer is possible, please do comment. Thank you.

vlad

For chelsea and abramovic it took 9 years to win champions legaue, before that, they had also great result in CL, final, semis... Nasser bought psg 2011, so its now 8 year past, psg established themselvs as a club who plays k.o. phase in cl every season now, thats not little, considering state of their legaue, chelsea had tough matches from weekend to weekend, thats why they did better in CL, city is also foing slightly better because of that, i dont see psg winning cl anytime soon, they can bring best players, coach, messi, they will still not win it, because 95% of their season is on easy mode and they are not use to struggle, thats why they go out in CL in the way they do

Givenchy

For chelsea and abramovic it took 9 years to win champions legaue, before that, they had also great result in CL, final, semis... Nasser bought psg 2011, so its now 8 year past, psg established themselvs as a club who plays k.o. phase in cl every season now, thats not little, considering state of their legaue, chelsea had tough matches from weekend to weekend, thats why they did better in CL, city is also foing slightly better because of that, i dont see psg winning cl anytime soon, they can bring best players, coach, messi, they will still not win it, because 95% of their season is on easy mode and they are not use to struggle, thats why they go out in CL in the way they do

its not just about Ligue 1 being 'weaker'. if Neymar plays that 2nd leg vs United, PSG go through imo. then they'd end up facing Barca which would be 50/50

Bayern won the CL and their league isn't exactly great.. sure Dortmund punch above their weight every now and then but the best players in Bundesliga are usually vacuumed up by Bayern leaving the rest to rebuild. what we can say about PSG atleast, is other than Mbappe, they are importing talents from other leagues.

Juventus are also playing in a weak league it just doesn't get as much shit as it has historic clubs but cmon, 8 years in a row?

kilian

I know from the outside, you can't really see that strategy but it still exists. As said by Ligue 1 president, the star factor of PSG will also bring more viewers and income. Meaning more TV rights for every team in Ligue 1, which is good for the whole league. The distribution of that money is supposed to benefit more the lower clubs who will gain twice as much or more. A bigger exposure of Ligue 1 means also better sponsoring contracts for PSG, maybe a better quality since other teams won't be as pressed to sell their good players as before.

I'm happy for you with your day outside. I'm myself in a very sunny location, so i'm kinda fine.

Do you have any information about number of tv spectators for PSG games this season? I thought that Neymar, Mbappe, Verratti etc. will bring me to watch them sometimes, but I didn`t watch a single Ligue 1 game this season, nor any of my friends with whom I talked about it.

I wonder did it really bring the number of tv spectators for Ligue 1 up.

vlad

Do you have any information about number of tv spectators for PSG games this season? I thought that Neymar, Mbappe, Verratti etc. will bring me to watch them sometimes, but I didn`t watch a single Ligue 1 game this season, nor any of my friends with whom I talked about it.

I wonder did it really bring the number of tv spectators for Ligue 1 up.

When it comes to neutral fans, i also didnt meet someone who will watch barca vs midtable, lowtable clubs, because its just not apealing for someone who isnt barca fan, from non barca fans, i think rival fans watch barca in hope for losing points, same as barca fans watch their matches, for psg is even worse, match vs lyon and marseille could be watchable, but other then that, no one really cares

kilian

When it comes to neutral fans, i also didnt meet someone who will watch barca vs midtable, lowtable clubs, because its just not apealing for someone who isnt barca fan, from non barca fans, i think rival fans watch barca in hope for losing points, same as barca fans watch their matches, for psg is even worse, match vs lyon and marseille could be watchable, but other then that, no one really cares

I`ve encountered many people who watch Barca games, many of them because of Messi. Although I see your point, but IMO Barca has a much bigger audience within neutral fan base.

But, the point of my question wasn`t the comparison between clubs, just to see if the Neymar transfer really has as big impact as it was predicted.

Home of Barca Fans