Qatar FC

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
If there are no more Brazilians at PSG at some point, will you stop following them?

And all those Brazilian fans will choose another team that has the highest percentage of Brazilians or the best Brazilian players outside Brazil?

The majority of the world outside Europe (actually even inside Europe too) works that way.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The majority of the world outside Europe (actually even inside Europe too) works that way.

I don't think so. I do understand the patriotic/nationalistic perspective of things explaining why Brazilians follow PSG more than any other foreign teams as when I was young I used to follow TSV Munich 1860 because they had a player from my local team in Beijing. But I couldn't say I was a fan of that team, I did follow them when he was there and occasionally checked on how they were doing after he left. When that player did well for them I was very happy and if TSV 1860 won, I was happy for them but if they lost, it didn't really matter for me.

I mean, I think most fans started following certain foreign club teams and eventually became fans of those teams not because that team had an injection of players from their home country, rather it was the way the team played football or because of certain players that drew their attention, or some moments in history that struck a cord, something that made them fall in love with that particular team. After all, you didn't fall in love with RM because they had players from your country, right?

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

I don't think so. I do understand the patriotic/nationalistic perspective of things explaining why Brazilians follow PSG more than any other foreign teams as when I was young I used to follow TSV Munich 1860 because they had a player from my local team in Beijing. But I couldn't say I was a fan of that team, I did follow them when he was there and occasionally checked on how they were doing after he left. When that player did well for them I was very happy and if TSV 1860 won, I was happy for them but if they lost, it didn't really matter for me.

I mean, I think most fans started following certain foreign club teams and eventually became fans of those teams not because that team had an injection of players from their home country, rather it was the way the team played football or because of certain players that drew their attention, or some moments in history that struck a cord, something that made them fall in love with that particular team. After all, you didn't fall in love with RM because they had players from your country, right?

All you're doing here is trying to justify your reasons for supporting Barca while criticizing others for supporting clubs you don't like. If you, being from China are supporting a Spanish club, than you have no grounds to criticize others for why they support a club, regardless of the reason.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
All you're doing here is trying to justify your reasons for supporting Barca while criticizing others for supporting clubs you don't like. If you, being from China are supporting a Spanish club, than you have no grounds to criticize others for why they support a club, regardless of the reason.

I am not justifying my reasons for supporting Barca, I am saying what I believe is true, which is when you support a foreign team, be it a club team or a national team it probably has to do with some characteristics that that particular team possessed or displayed that drew you toward it, not just because that team had a bunch of your compatriots. I believe this applies to MOST fans supporting foreign teams.

That is exactly why I, someone from China supporting a Spanish/Catalan club which has NOTHING to do with China looks normal to me because I like Barca for it is, not because of it employed any Chinese players.

In your case, I am not criticizing it (I said I do understand it) but I have to say to me it is a kind of primitive and tribal way of enjoying football. You support them because they have have a lot of Brazilian players playing for it and its Brazilian heritage, not because of other things that appealed to you.

mark1nhu

To add to what I wrote above, there are past brazilian stars like Ricardo, Rai, and Leonardo that are always linked to PSG, and some of them are very vocal like Rai, or Leonardo that do a lot of lobbying for them in Brazil.

If you set foot in Brazil even before the Qatar era, it was not that hard to meet people with a PSG shirt.

That's true.

We never had this image of PSG being a "small club". In fact I was truly surprised by discovering they were founded only in the 70s, of not my BarcaForum and Reddit I would never imagine they weren't a traditional European club.

mark1nhu

Again, it's not a difficult concept to understand. I support PSG because their teams have always features great Brasilian players. This has been the case for as long as I have been alive: Ronaldinho, Rai, Pauleta, Thiago Silva, and so on.

Wait, wasn't Pauleta PORTUGUESE?

Julien

I thought his situation was similar to Thiago's?
Not at all. Pauleta is 100% portuguese, and born in the Azores.

He has dual nationalities but not Brazilian, he's Portuguese/French because when you live for a certain number of years in France you can become french too.

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

Not at all. Pauleta is 100% portuguese, and born in the Azores.

He has dual nationalities but not Brazilian, he's Portuguese/French because when you live for a certain number of years in France you can become french too.

Damn, all this time I thought he was born to Brazilian parents.

Home of Barca Fans