Antoine Griezmann

Sorin

We have a record deal with Nike and Rakuten. We sold Neymar for 222 mil and his salary has buggered off too. Players like Denis, Deulofeu, Rafiniha, Vidal, Gomes, Paco etc. will be sold. Between them we'll prob recoup more than half of Griezmann fee. Their salaries will probably cover his too.

Why wouldn't we have money?

Jombi

All star quality depth. Needed for 3 comps next season. In 2 years Suarez will be a lesser player and instead of paying a record fee for his replacement, we'll have ready made Griezmann as starter.

I mean we do have to replace Suarez sooner rather than later. Who are our options? Maybe Timo Werner if he doesn't get bought by another top team like Bayern. Lewandowski is 30 as well. Still Timo has a long way until he'll match Griezmann imo.

Yes, it will be this "gala first 11". I am not convinced it will make us stronger as I very much doubt Valverde will be willing to bench superstars, not even counting Suarez in this mix. A big reason why Valverde has managed to do so well with the squad he has is that he has been very free to play who he wants and focus more on the defensive strength of the team. He has only been forced to play two superstars, Suarez and Messi.

Total-Football

if so.. then dembele s move make even less sense.. he would be good at a counter attacking team or a direct attacking team.. barca plays a lot of horizontal phases (to exhaust the opposition physically and mentally) thats where dembele dosnt strike as the fit.. in return, griezman is a natural passer of the ball and in parallel he is lethal. we should have kept the money when dortmund was extorting us.

draconifire

i dont see us having the financial requirements for a 100 millions move. we spent a fortune on dembele and coutinho.if only it were coutinho and griezman.

We've only spent 89 mil this season. Its plenty below the mark we had set aside. Remember we were going for Verratti before Neymar saga. That was 100mil with Somedo on the line of players coming in.

Givenchy

we likely have a deal agreed with Antoine on personal terms. good thing about it is we can watch the 2nd half of the season unfold and judge if Suarez is up to the task, if no improvements we can just trigger Griezmanns release.

serghei

If we have the money get him. Simple as that. Atletico doesn't have any leverage. We need to get the 100m. and we need to agree a deal with Griezmann.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Suarez isn't going anywhere so can't see where we would fit Griezmann and have a balanced and happy team. Will be a "bargain" next summer for 100 mil. though

FinBarcelonafan

Suarez isn't going anywhere so can't see where we would fit Griezmann and have a balanced and happy team. Will be a "bargain" next summer for 100 mil. though

Exactly. As long as we have Suarez I don't see why we need Griezmann. Suarez seems to be doing better now.. Maybe he can still last couple years.

wisconsincule

Yeah I wouldn’t buy him if Suarez can keep in current form. Rather spend it on another CB (De Ligt?) or an expensive controller. I wonder if Bayern would part with Thiago for 100m

Messi983

We'll see how Valverde will integrate Coutinho and Dembele into the team and how Suarez will play in the remainder of the season (though there is no way he'll leave even if he'll go back to his bad form) but right now I think bringing Griezmann into the mix could cause us more problems than good. Not because he wouldn't fit (in opposite, I think he would be a perfect fit) but I just don't see how all 5 big ones - Messi, Coutinho, Dembele, Suarez, Griezmann - could play together without risking defensive stability of the team (which is clearly important to EV and rightfully so) too much.

I would prefer to buy younger striker like Werner and possibly let him on loan with his team for another season to play regular and keep developing while keeping Paco as a backup for another season. Then bring that younger player in 2019 to slowly integrate and take over from Suarez.

Or we could get another versatile forward (alongside Arnaiz who I think will be promoted in summer) who could play in both wing positions and as a striker so he would get enough playing time even if he would be primarily a backup. Don't know who that could be though.

henias

I would buy a controlling midfielder. We have plenty of good forwards at the moment and Messi can switch to false 9 any time.

Home of Barca Fans