Antoine Griezmann

Judoman

I don t think he is the answer in the search for Suarez replacement. The drama he brings is just off putting.

I would rather risk it with the kid from Benfica or the Polish guy from Milan.

Messi983

To be fair I don't really care about his "drama queen" status too much. Yes, he wants attention but I believe he's a team player on and off the pitch who would fit into the team well. Barça players won't hold his "decision" against Griezmann because they must take business decisions their whole careers and don't look at them from emotional standpoint as much as us (fans).

The main reason I'm not totally supporting signing Griezmann is because I don't see him as a pure striker (Suarez replacement) which we need but rather he prefers to play in the same area as Messi which could cause us some problems. But then again in the market where a kid with 6 good months in Primeira Liga behind him costs 120M considering paying the same money for a proven worldclass player instead makes sense.

On the other hand we're just witnessing a mostly failed similar investment in Coutinho so it's not really an easy decision. What I know for sure though is we shouldn't go into another season with Suarez as our only #9 option so we need to make something this summer. Otherwise our sporting project over the last 2-3 seasons mostly seems to be on the right track so let's hope (@Pedro) we'll make the right decision here as well.

Vilarrubi

To be fair I don't really care about his "drama queen" status too much. Yes, he wants attention but I believe he's a team player on and off the pitch who would fit into the team well. Barça players won't hold his "decision" against Griezmann because they must take business decisions their whole careers and don't look at them from emotional standpoint as much as us (fans).

The main reason I'm not totally supporting signing Griezmann is because I don't see him as a pure striker (Suarez replacement) which we need but rather he prefers to play in the same area as Messi which could cause us some problems. But then again in the market where a kid with 6 good months in Primeira Liga behind him costs 120M considering paying the same money for a proven worldclass player instead makes sense.

On the other hand we're just witnessing a mostly failed similar investment in Coutinho so it's not really an easy decision. What I know for sure though is we shouldn't go into another season with Suarez as our only #9 option so we need to make something this summer. Otherwise our sporting project over the last 2-3 seasons mostly seems to be on the right track so let's hope (@Pedro) we'll make the right decision here as well.

I’m in the same boat. Don’t care too much for his dramatics off the pitch, just find it funny. What he brings on the pitch well outweighs that. Supposedly Atletico are lowering his buyout clause to 120m.. so as you said if a pretty unknown Joao Felix rumoured price is 120m then the same price the Griezmann is a no brainer.. La Liga experience, two CL finals, Euro Final and World Cup winner.. he’s proved himself on the biggest stage. The only negative I see is his age being 28.. but if it means prolonging the “Messi Era” and we have him for 3/4 years I’m all for it. We bought Villa when he was 29 and Henry when he was 30. It’s does make sense and is the sort of transfer we would go for. Obviously the price is high but the next transfer window is going to be crazy imo, will make Frenkie for 80m and Griezmann for 120m look like bargains.

Judoman

You points would be 100% true if the guy was a pure striker.
Age and drama seeking need don t matter much. It s just additional logs on the fire that is "he is not a true striker" thing.

We have a history of compromise/panic buys and i d rather risk it with a talented up and comer, since Suarez is not going away just yet. Knowing Valverde, it s likely that Griezman would cut into Dembele play time and
i think that would be a mistake. Also, finding the next striker is all that is missing from the next gen Barca puzzle (if we get De ligt) and i highly doubt that s Griezmann.

George_Costanza

Forget about his attitude and being drama queen, forget he said no to Barcelona before. From a sporting perspective, he isn't what we need at all. Why do people here value individuals over the team? Those are the same people who think criticizing a manager is considered sacrilege.

Donatello

Unpopular opinion, but I'd rather gamble on Joao Felix, than getting him on high wages.

Both are similar in profile, in fact Felix is a lot younger and faster. We can't keep buying 100M+ players all the time, rather spend that amount on someone who can give you value for a long time.

Alik

Unpopular opinion, but I'd rather gamble on Joao Felix, than getting him on high wages.

Both are similar in profile, in fact Felix is a lot younger and faster. We can't keep buying 100M+ players all the time, rather spend that amount on someone who can give you value for a long time.

Felix will likely be close to 100M.

Havesaks

Forget about his attitude and being drama queen, forget he said no to Barcelona before. From a sporting perspective, he isn't what we need at all. Why do people here value individuals over the team? Those are the same people who think criticizing a manager is considered sacrilege.

He hasnt a clear starting 11-spot, but because he can play every position; messis, Suarez' and Dembeles, he would be a big step-up from Coutinho. If not Griezman, who do you suggest as an alternative?

Mitchell1978

He hasnt a clear starting 11-spot, but because he can play every position; messis, Suarez' and Dembeles, he would be a big step-up from Coutinho. If not Griezman, who do you suggest as an alternative?

Maybe someone who doesn't occupy the same positions as Messi.

And don't give me that shit if him being versatile and being able to play other positions because it makes very little sense to spent that much money on a player only to play him out of position.

Vilarrubi

At Barca as a striker you have to drop deep and be involved with the build up play. Especially when the other team parks the bus. Griezmann is world class at doing that.

Suarez is far from a classic 9 for Barca, he drops deep too.. even more so when he was at his peak a couple of years ago, his build up play and passing was unreal.

The idea of Barca needing a more traditional striker is funny as hell, yeah let's get a target man, start crossing and change our whole philosophy lol

Griezmann makes sense in many ways. And Messi will always drift to the middle whoever is there whether it's Griezmann or Suarez... nothing new there.

Arizona Scott

I’m in the same boat. Don’t care too much for his dramatics off the pitch, just find it funny. What he brings on the pitch well outweighs that. Supposedly Atletico are lowering his buyout clause to 120m.. so as you said if a pretty unknown Joao Felix rumoured price is 120m then the same price the Griezmann is a no brainer.. La Liga experience, two CL finals, Euro Final and World Cup winner.. he’s proved himself on the biggest stage. The only negative I see is his age being 28.. but if it means prolonging the “Messi Era” and we have him for 3/4 years I’m all for it. We bought Villa when he was 29 and Henry when he was 30. It’s does make sense and is the sort of transfer we would go for. Obviously the price is high but the next transfer window is going to be crazy imo, will make Frenkie for 80m and Griezmann for 120m look like bargains.

I am with you two. I think Griezmann is a brilliant and adaptable player, can start as Suarez rotation/replacement or with Messi & Suarez. That gives a lot of flexibility. On the pitch he also is generous, hardworking and very talented. He is about the best you can do in terms of impact for the window Messi is still great.

If you want to balance immediate impact with future potential I suppose Jovic is the choice.

But Felix is mopping it up in the kiddie league except for 3 clubs--one of which he is on of course. If he takes 3 years to get up to speed that isn't ideal with Messi's timeline and isn't he another inside out forward and potentially in Messi's way.

Arizona Scott

Griezmann is also a heck of lot better in defense and workrate than any Barca forward (Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Coutinho). Good scorer, great passer, and defends terificly for an attacking player. If you ask me right now for one big match Messi-Griezmann-Suarez would be the best trident we could do. Of course if he is in I assume Coutinho is sold (fee and wages probably close to 1 to 1 trade) and then you have Dembele in the mix to rest Suarez (Griezmann as the #9) or Messi (Griezmann as a false 9). 4 extremely talented forwards, one old, one oldish, one in his prime, one young.

Home of Barca Fans