Antoine Griezmann

cro-man

From Atleti's last LaLiga game of 17/18 season from the previous weekend.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/4qajo/mtsdiz" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

He deserve better than this after all he did for them especially after the transferban. To see guys like costa torres .. trying to force him to stay is ironic. All of them left the club and would do it again if a club like barca would knock on their doors. There is a reason why his contract dropped from 200 to 100 this summer. I dont care if he joins us or not but I do understand that griezmann is trying to take his career to the next level and wants more than he can archieve at atm. Trying to force him with this kind of pressure is not fair.

Raketa10

He deserve better than this after all he did for them especially after the transferban. To see guys like costa torres .. trying to force him to stay is ironic. All of them left the club and would do it again if a club like barca would knock on their doors. There is a reason why his contract dropped from 200 to 100 this summer. I dont care if he joins us or not but I do understand that griezmann is trying to take his career to the next level and wants more than he can archieve at atm. Trying to force him with this kind of pressure is not fair.

Agree 100%

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Diego Costa was worse. Said if he leaves he cannot come back. Very ironic indeed. Same with Filipe Luis who left Atletico after they won the league and lost a CL final.

I have a feeling he'll end up staying now. It's good for the league, but not sure if it's good for Griezmann. Sure he'll get a lot of money, more so than at Barca, but many superstars in various sports leave a lot of money on the table to secure a legacy for themselves by winning the biggest trophies there is.

I won't talk about the CL, but he definitely got a better shot at the league here than in Madrid.

Raketa10

He won’t stay in Madrid. I know all of us would like that he announces he is leaving ATM immediately but because of legal reasons he rally can’t do that before 1st of July.

Can we take the 7 off this thread?

Do you really believe that he’ll stay after that whistling incident from fans and that hypocritical behaviour of some players? No way, he is not that stupid! Last year he said that he is staying because of transfer ban so he is leaving this year 100%. I really have no doubt he will be a Barca player and I am really looking forward to see him in Barca shirt.

Diego Costa was worse. Said if he leaves he cannot come back. Very ironic indeed.

Diego Costa was always stupid as f... so I am not surprised at all with his reaction. He is a definition of utter stupidity.

Last edited:

Andrew M

He won’t stay in Madrid. I know all of us would like that he announces he is leaving ATM immediately but because of legal reasons he rally can’t do that before 1st of July.

Do you really believe that he’ll stay after that whistling incident from fans and that hypocritical behaviour of some players? No way, he is not that stupid! Last year he said that he is staying because of transfer ban so he is leaving this year 100%. I really have no doubt he will be a Barca player and I am really looking forward to see him in Barca shirt.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe if he was staying he would have come out and said it by now?

Like Neymar's public silence was an indication that he was leaving

Raketa10

He was 180m, thats not too expensive, and the PSG manager and other reports say that he wanted to come to Barca. I dont understand why we didnt make a move.

180 mil is not too expensive for 18y old kid? Interesting world we live in. :D

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
The whole media stirr is happening because drama sells papers and shows. Since the fee is already set, enter Griezmann's internal battle. Should I stay, should I go? Come July 1, it'll be done.

Donatello

He was too expensive and he wanted to go to Real or PSG.

That's just a cover up story that he didn't want to move to Barca. Any 19 year old will relish the opportunity to join Barca, be a Neymar replacement, start every game and to play with Messi & eventually replace him one day. Yeah, he might prefer RM over us but he chose PSG because we signed Dembele and PSG looked like the most viable option for the future for him.

RM didn't wanted him this summer, plus Monaco would have preferred to sell him to us than strengthening their direct rivals. But, the truth is that we were so hell bent on Dembele, that we didn't even consider other options. Had we went after Mbappe, like we did with Dembele, I bet he would have signed for us. Its football, players choose what's the best for them, even if that gets ahead of their preferrences (Isco & Moderic were Barca supporters, but for whom they play?).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Diego Costa was worse. Said if he leaves he cannot come back. Very ironic indeed. Same with Filipe Luis who left Atletico after they won the league and lost a CL final.

I have a feeling he'll end up staying now. It's good for the league, but not sure if it's good for Griezmann. Sure he'll get a lot of money, more so than at Barca, but many superstars in various sports leave a lot of money on the table to secure a legacy for themselves by winning the biggest trophies there is.

I won't talk about the CL, but he definitely got a better shot at the league here than in Madrid.

I don't know Don, after Messi is gone Atletico might have bigger chances of winning the league than us. ;)

In all seriousness, I think many of us fans underestimate the effect of higher wages/bigger paychecks have on players. I'd argue most players would go for higher wages/bigger paychecks. I suspect most of them are not like us fan(boys and girls) who believe playing with Messi etc. is more important than anything else. Plus he is No.1 there, why would he want to come here to be a No.3, 4, 5, right?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He was 180m, thats not too expensive, and the PSG manager and other reports say that he wanted to come to Barca. I dont understand why we didnt make a move.

Emery also said he wanted to go to Real Madrid who made an effort to sign him. He still chose PSG.

Mbappe took the easy option where he could develop a few more years in the same league until he's ready to leave France.

I don't know Don, after Messi is gone Atletico might have bigger chances of winning the league than us. ;)

In all seriousness, I think many of us fans underestimate the effect of higher wages/bigger paychecks have on players. I'd argue most players would go for higher wages/bigger paychecks. I suspect most of them are not like us fan(boys and girls) who believe playing with Messi etc. is more important than anything else. Plus he is No.1 there, why would he want to come here to be a No.3, 4, 5, right?

Being "The Man" is very often overrated. Players at Griezmann's age usually want to win trophies than be "The Man". If he comes to Barca he would be #2.

Neymar is apparently already be regretting leaving Barcelona the club, Barcelona the city, his friends in the team and son who lives in BCN behind to "get out of Messi's shadow".

I cannot blame Griezmann for taking the money either though. That's over 30m extra over his five-year contract duration. That's a lot of money to leave behind. I know some people might say he's already a multi-millionaire and that he has enough money and all that, but 30 million euros is still a lot of money. Significant for most footballers regardless of how much money they have.

Last edited:

Joan

From Atleti's last LaLiga game of 17/18 season from the previous weekend.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/4qajo/mtsdiz" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Wow, just wow. Great video once again. Quite emotional for Griezmann. I like seeing this small unnoticed details.

Jombi

That's just a cover up story that he didn't want to move to Barca. Any 19 year old will relish the opportunity to join Barca, be a Neymar replacement, start every game and to play with Messi & eventually replace him one day. Yeah, he might prefer RM over us but he chose PSG because we signed Dembele and PSG looked like the most viable option for the future for him.

RM didn't wanted him this summer, plus Monaco would have preferred to sell him to us than strengthening their direct rivals. But, the truth is that we were so hell bent on Dembele, that we didn't even consider other options. Had we went after Mbappe, like we did with Dembele, I bet he would have signed for us. Its football, players choose what's the best for them, even if that gets ahead of their preferrences (Isco & Moderic were Barca supporters, but for whom they play?).

I agree. Its silly to say that he would have been too expensive for us when we bought Dembele for almost the same amount. If we had actually pushed for the transfer, I'm sure we would have gotten him, and reports and statements make that clear as well. RM didnt want to offer him the wage he deserved, so we had an opportunity but missed it.

Home of Barca Fans