Antoine Griezmann

fergus90

He played well tonight and I feel for him a bit. Hope he continues working and staying amongst the goals. I criticized him harshly in the past but he is at least trying and fighting to find his form and place here, unlike Coutinho.

I really want to highlight his post-match comments though because they were very telling for me. You could tell he was gutted by the lost, especially when he thought he won it for us but his comments about the lack of communication spoke volumes for me. Here is someone who is coming more from an outside perspective, who worked with someone like Simeone and crucially is now seeing first hand another bottle-job here. Since he was not here during Roma and Liverpool, his perspective on this is rather illuminating into the deeper problems here.

I am very slow to criticize Leo but I do think apart of all of this is what happens when a player like him is your captain compared to Puyol. Leo is never going to be the one barking orders in terms of marking during a set piece and that lack of communication and command continues to haunt us time and time again. It is not all on Leo, honestly Lenglet and Alba in particular need to be the ones making those calls but instead we have Alba leaving men onsides, marking nobody and ducking the ball when he should be clearing it.

The question now is clearly leadership on the field and the problem is that the players who are seen as ?leaders? are not leading, plain and simple.

Yeah I agree with this is 100%. The last real leaders we had were Xavi and Mascherano and just about every top team in world football has them. You need them, players that do not stop communicating and making sure the team is both focused and aware of their positioning and the dangers around them at all times.

Our last two players to be made captain (Messi, Iniesta) have got it off being incredible footballers rather than the vocal organizational types. Being a captain is about more than wearing an armband and ensuring you perform your own role well, it's about the leadership of the rest of the players around you and we have lacked that for about 3 years now.

mc_lovin

Hard to disagree with that. We simply have no natural leaders. Maybe Araujo or de Jong in a few years.

On topic: The thing about Griezmanns performance yesterday for me is that he just looks so nonchalant. He runs around, does next to nothing and gets two goals. Which is nice, but not reproducible I am afraid.

Rory

Great game yesterday and in general recently. If he can play like this 50% of the season I'll happily retract all harsh criticisms. In terms of marking for set pieces, that firmly falls on defensive players and the goalkeeper to organise. Yes everyone is involved but this is the stuff defenders train each day for so should be doing this. Ter Stegen and Lenglet are old enough and have been here long enough to do this.

Saladin

Him and Coutinho... Sigh. This club is truly the measuring stick for true talent, unfortunately. Just goes to show you how freaking good Lusito and Neymar are/were.

KingLeo10

Him and Coutinho... Sigh. This club is truly the measuring stick for true talent, unfortunately. Just goes to show you how freaking good Lusito and Neymar are/were.

Neymar was a top 5 offensive player of the last 10-15 years along with Messi, CR7, Suarez, and Robben.

Suarez was arguably the best striker of the last 10ish years. Or joint best with Lewa.

No one ever doubted their quality.

Horatio

You're welcome
Didnt think he was that bad honestly. Got himself in scoring positions and plays well off of Pedri. Also didnt miss a penalty lel.

Zebulun

Griezmann has always played the same, trash. just because he scored a few tapins against poor opposition didnt mean he played well. his problem is he's a horizontal player, even when there's space ahead of him he goes sideways. no pace no dribbling ability and isnt a lethal finisher. poor guy is even afraid to take pens.

Jadentheman

Neymar was a top 5 offensive player of the last 10-15 years along with Messi, CR7, Suarez, and Robben.

Suarez was arguably the best striker of the last 10ish years. Or joint best with Lewa.

No one ever doubted their quality.

They just were taken for granted during their stay here. We have to admit the team lost quality over teh years, there just needs to be a rebuild. Problem is money is gone(with no chance of a big Messi selloff) so making gambles on upcoming potential talents is the key.

JohnN

Can you cost this much as a player and not even stand out against semi professional players?
I watched an old friendly recently "friends of Messi vs friends of neymar". Those guys would beat us easily.

Home of Barca Fans