Antoine Griezmann

Neeraj

Paulinho is far from garbage. Then at the back you have Vermaelen who is also good. Semedo at RB. 3-4 good backups at least I would say. Also Jasper is very good. Paco ... I am not a fan but when he played he delivered. So he is not useless either.

My use of mediocre on there was actually reserved for Paulinho :lol:

I think he can be useful at times too :p

Edit: My larger point being that, as Alena or another youngster, you don't have to compete against a squad like that of City or Madrid to see chances. When you have guys like Andre Gomes stinking up the place routinely, you'd think the coach would try out some youngsters instead of trying out the same old Gomes/Vidal/Paulinho and then switching to Roberto, Iniesta, Rakitic, etc. when these guys fail to deliver, time and again.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Think Paulinho has been useful plenty of times. Thing many forget is: Paulinho played without any break as football is played in China during summer. He played like 70+ matches without proper rest. No wonder he looked a bit worse recently than when he came. Next season when he adapts more and has summer vacations, he will be a bomb.

serghei

Paulinho is great as a squad player. Our squad is great and next seaoson it can be the best squad in the world or 2nd best depending on how Madrid and us do in the summer.

Midfield will be like Coutinho, Iniesta, Busi, Rakitic, Paulinho, Alena, Arthur + Roberto option. That's 8, 7 or 6 players if Iniesta goes. There are two world class midfielders there, a great one who can get close to that level at his best, and a couple of wild cards who can work brilliantly in the future if played regularly (Alena and Arthur). Other options like Paulinho and even Roberto are solid options too.
Defence with Pique, Umtiti, Vermaelen, and Mina, or another player if Mina is loaned. Pique - Umtiti is the best CB pair in the world. Vermaelen, if fit, can hold his own in just about any match.
Rightback with Semedo and Roberto looks solid.
Leftback with Alba and Digne (Digne is a bit of a weak spot if Alba gets injured). Alba's sub is a little problematic.
GK we're spoiled with Stegen and Cillesssen, a top 5 and a top 15 GK, borderline top 10. No team has 2 better keepers than us.
Attack with Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho as option. No attack is better. There are 3 world class forwards there, and 2 superb options (Coutinho, and Dembele). A lot of variety.

If we somehow win the CL this season, we can win it again next season considering we'll be much stronger on paper. If we can get Griezmann we should do it. I think he can help us like Villa did only for a longer period since he's just entering his peak years. Griezmann is a no brainer. In some scenarios he'll help us more than Suarez.

Last edited:

Neeraj

Paulinho is great as a squad player. Our squad is great and next seaoson it can be the best squad in the world or 2nd best depending on how Madrid and us do in the summer.

Midfield will be like Coutinho, Iniesta, Busi, Rakitic, Paulinho, Alena, Arthur + Roberto option. That's 8, 7 or 6 players if Iniesta goes.
Defence with Pique, Umtiti, Vermaelen, and Mina, or another player if Mina is loaned.
Rightback with Semedo and Roberto
Leftback with Alba and Digne (Digne is a bit of a weak spot if Alba gets injured)
GK we're spoiled with Stegen and Cillesssen, a top 5 and a top 15 GK, borderline top 10.
Attack with Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho as option.

If we somehow win the CL this season, we can win it again next season considering we'll be much stronger on paper. If we can get Griezmann we should do it. I think he can help us like Villa did only for a longer period since he's just entering his peak years. Griezmann is a no brainer.

As for the midfield, it's difficult to count Alena as a squad player, considering he's still a kid and we don't know if he will succeed here. We need to give him minutes in La Liga THIS season, and if he performs at a certain level, only then can you count on him as a squad player. Same with Arthur, we don't know where his level is at. Roberto is basically nothing but a RB for Valverde, so he's out. So if you look at it, there isn't that much left; especially not if we want a game changer or someone to add some dynamism. Paulinho is the only one I can think of, and he isn't going to set the world on fire either.

On defense, it's baffling how people can still consider Verm a squad player. I mean come on, he's not bad when he's fit, but come on, I mean really...let's not even go there. As for Mina - we haven't seen anything of him yet. We're playing Pique through niggles and strains, and if we don't get a CB in the summer, our CB position is extremely exposed. We really need to replace Verm with someone dependable.

I'd say LB is OKAY, considering we have 2 LB's, but as you pointed out, Digne is definitely a weak spot.

RB - Well, if you think Roberto is a good RB for next season, then we're okay. But this is a tricky one.

Attack will be fine with Greizman coming in

That's how I look at the squad. Aside from attack, I do not agree that we have a great squad. We might have a great team by next season, but I think we need some serious buying and selling to make this a 'great' squad.

serghei

As for the midfield, it's difficult to count Alena as a squad player, considering he's still a kid and we don't know if he will succeed here. We need to give him minutes in La Liga THIS season, and if he performs at a certain level, only then can you count on him as a squad player. Same with Arthur, we don't know where his level is at. Roberto is basically nothing but a RB for Valverde, so he's out. So if you look at it, there isn't that much left; especially not if we want a game changer or someone to add some dynamism. Paulinho is the only one I can think of, and he isn't going to set the world on fire either.

On defense, it's baffling how people can still consider Verm a squad player. I mean come on, he's not bad when he's fit, but come on, I mean really...let's not even go there. As for Mina - we haven't seen anything of him yet. We're playing Pique through niggles and strains, and if we don't get a CB in the summer, our CB position is extremely exposed. We really need to replace Verm with someone dependable.

I'd say LB is OKAY, considering we have 2 LB's, but as you pointed out, Digne is definitely a weak spot.

RB - Well, if you think Roberto is a good RB for next season, then we're okay. But this is a tricky one.

Attack will be fine with Greizman coming in

That's how I look at the squad. Aside from attack, I do not agree that we have a great squad. We might have a great team by next season, but I think we need some serious buying and selling to make this a 'great' squad.

Even if we discount all options, you're left with Iniesta, Coutinho, Busquets, Rakitic and Paulinho. Only Real Madrid have a finer collection of midfielders.

Mina needs to be played. I liked what I've seen from him. I think he'll help us.

Only reason why I'm sort of worried is this extra safe approach by Valverde, which could lead to some good and talented players not having enough play time.

Last edited:

Neeraj

Even if we discount all options, you're left with Iniesta, Coutinho, Busquets, Rakitic and Paulinho. Only Real Madrid have a finer collection of midfielders.

Mina needs to be played. I liked what I've seen from him. I think he'll help us.

Only reason why I'm sort of worried is this extra safe approach by Valverde.

Yeah, but that's 5 midfielders for 4 positions, (assuming 4-4-2, which is the status quo). And the 5th midfielder being Paulinho. Assuming one injury, you're reaching into Alena, Gomes, etc. to make your squad list. Not to mention Iniesta will play a lot less next season.

I think if you added Rabiot to that, and if Arthur turns out decent, then I'd be quite happy with that squad.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
The thing about paulinho is that he isn't really a midfielder (though he may play there). He doesn't have great distribution characterstics, he doesn't have great control or awareness of space. He is like a hybrid of some sort. A very strange player indeed, but by no means useless. He just has to be utilized correctly, and frankly Valverde has proved to be a master at that: Adapting to his players attributes, strengths and weaknesses.

Guardiola would of had him mopping the floors at the etihad, unfortunately for him because as it turns out he is a cool guy and is capable of pitching in when needed.

But again, strange player.

George_Costanza

I am really interested how will he play tommorow against RM.

K-choking-enHD-AR1.gif

clemente

Come here u goof

He always scores against Madrid, and he fits our style like a glove, people here debating anything about him are just useless and annoying.

Home of Barca Fans