Antoine Griezmann

M

MessiCam

4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 suit the squad best. Don't have the players for 4-3-3

4-2-3-1 is not that different to a 4-3-3 in terms of dynamics. Only difference is 2 pivots and an attacking midfielder whereas a 4-3-3 has 1 pivot and 2 central midfielders of which 1 is of an attacking nature.

I wouldn’t say we don’t have the players for a 4-3-3 but rather that Rakitic is playing better as a pivot than as a central midfielder.

mia7007

Who is willing to bet here that we will be alternating between a 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with or without the Griezmann signing?

The notion that any of these systems are inferior to a 4 man midfield is just about the craziest thing I’ve read recently. In fact a 3 man central midfield is about as good as it gets. There is no system as conducive to midfield dominance than a 4-3-3.
4-2-3-1 should be the best with the current squad after Dembele is back

FinBarcelonafan

Suarez-Griezmann
Coutinho-Messi-Dembele
Busi
Alba-Umtiti-Pique-Semedo
MAtS

This could work only vs some low-level defensive team. They would kill us on counter-attack, unless Dembele/Coutinho/Griezmann learn how to play defense. Messi/Suarez needs to do their thing.

Dembele doesn't look like he has the work ethic to play that well defensively.(just few games sample with his time with Barca). I hope I am wrong.

M

MessiCam

This could work only vs some low-level defensive team. They would kill us on counter-attack, unless Dembele/Coutinho/Griezmann learn how to play defense. Messi/Suarez needs to do their thing.

Dembele doesn't look like he has the work ethic to play that well defensively.(just few games sample with his time with Barca). I hope I am wrong.
Where has this idea come from that Dembele is weak defensively? I’d suggest you guys watch the Juventus game. A guy of his pace is very useful when tracking back. He may not be the best tackler but he can put pressure on an opposition player.

That he was poor defensively in his return games shouldn’t be used as some kind of metric in my opinion.

raskolnikov

Rotating Suarez/Griezmann/Dembele/Messi for a year could make it work. After that Suarez is 32 and either we can continue the rotations or bench him more for Griezmann over time.

FinBarcelonafan

Where has this idea come from that Dembele is weak defensively? I’d suggest you guys watch the Juventus game. A guy of his pace is very useful when tracking back. He may not be the best tackler but he can put pressure on an opposition player.

That he was poor defensively in his return games shouldn’t be used as some kind of metric in my opinion.

Based on this small sample I saw with Barca. He didn't look that motivated to defend.

Sorin

Suarez-Griezmann
Coutinho-Messi-Dembele
Busi
Alba-Umtiti-Pique-Semedo
MAtS

This could only work if the wide players (in this case Cou, Dem) would be willing to put a massive defensive shift on the opposition transition and one of Alba or Semedo/Roberto tucks in to help Busi, giving him options to pass close to him and helping him close opponents down the middle. Otherwise Busi will be too isolated. Also needs some serious coaching from Valverde.

khaled_a_d

From first two seasons in French and German league, it is widely considered his main flaw. It isn't based on Barca as he didn't play enough to consider him for anything tbh

M

MessiCam

From first two seasons in French and German league, it is widely considered his main flaw. It isn't based on Barca as he didn't play enough to consider him for anything tbh

I watched him a lot at Dortmund and I can’t say that observation is true. People expecting him to track back and make tackles like a midfielder have their expectations too high. He is a forward and his defensive output should be measured as such.

khaled_a_d

I watched him a lot at Dortmund and I can’t say that observation is true. People expecting him to track back and make tackles like a midfielder have their expectations too high. He is a forward and his defensive output should be measured as such.

He will replace someone like Paulinho who is way better defender so people will have the logic to make the comparison tbh
Overall I think Dembele has the potential i=on that end, Neymar for example has improved drastically in that regard in his time here, I can see it happening with Dembele. But for now he might find himself losing some of his minutes because of it

M

MessiCam

He will replace someone like Paulinho who is way better defender so people will have the logic to make the comparison tbh
Overall I think Dembele has the potential i=on that end, Neymar for example has improved drastically in that regard in his time here, I can see it happening with Dembele. But for now he might find himself losing some of his minutes because of it
A forward losing minutes to a non-existent defensive issue? And it’s not wise to make direct comparisons like that because Dembele also brings qualities that Paulinho doesn’t possess.

I think some of you need to watch his Dortmund games. Deulofeu rightly received praise for his improved defensive performances but Dembele’s was even better than that for Dortmund.

But maybe I’m missing something... What is it that you expect from him in terms of defensive contribution? Because no forward is going to defend like a midfielder.

Home of Barca Fans