Antoine Griezmann

Jombi

We'll see how Valverde will integrate Coutinho and Dembele into the team and how Suarez will play in the remainder of the season (though there is no way he'll leave even if he'll go back to his bad form) but right now I think bringing Griezmann into the mix could cause us more problems than good. Not because he wouldn't fit (in opposite, I think he would be a perfect fit) but I just don't see how all 5 big ones - Messi, Coutinho, Dembele, Suarez, Griezmann - could play together without risking defensive stability of the team (which is clearly important to EV and rightfully so) too much.

I would prefer to buy younger striker like Werner and possibly let him on loan with his team for another season to play regular and keep developing while keeping Paco as a backup for another season. Then bring that younger player in 2019 to slowly integrate and take over from Suarez.

Or we could get another versatile forward (alongside Arnaiz who I think will be promoted in summer) who could play in both wing positions and as a striker so he would get enough playing time even if he would be primarily a backup. Don't know who that could be though.

I agree. I think it would be a mistake to basically force Valverde's hand completely in the coming years by buying yet another attacking superstar who has to play all the time.

Birdy

We'll see how Valverde will integrate Coutinho and Dembele into the team and how Suarez will play in the remainder of the season (though there is no way he'll leave even if he'll go back to his bad form) but right now I think bringing Griezmann into the mix could cause us more problems than good. Not because he wouldn't fit (in opposite, I think he would be a perfect fit) but I just don't see how all 5 big ones - Messi, Coutinho, Dembele, Suarez, Griezmann - could play together without risking defensive stability of the team (which is clearly important to EV and rightfully so) too much.

I would prefer to buy younger striker like Werner and possibly let him on loan with his team for another season to play regular and keep developing while keeping Paco as a backup for another season. Then bring that younger player in 2019 to slowly integrate and take over from Suarez.

Or we could get another versatile forward (alongside Arnaiz who I think will be promoted in summer) who could play in both wing positions and as a striker so he would get enough playing time even if he would be primarily a backup. Don't know who that could be though.

Chances that EV will play only Busquets and in front of him Messi, Coutinhio, Dembele, Griezman and Dembouz are close to 0%
He is not stupid.

I think it's clear what will (and should) happen: Suarez will be benched or sold if we buy Griezman. And then Coutinio and Dembele will learn how to track back and coer defensively when on the wing..

BarçaBarça

I would buy him for 100M. Quality player, great fit. Only downside is Suarez occasionally benched.
If Suarez is as untouchable as everyone claims (maybe some Messi-influence could be at stake here), we have other options of rotating:

-----Busquets-----
Roberto---Coutinho
-------Messi--------
Griezmann-Suarez

Or

--Roberto--Busi--
-----Messi--------
Demb-Suarez-Griez
* With Griezmann and Dembele tracking back as well.

I get the fear of turning into RM Galactico, but Coutinho/Griezmann are not primadonnas in the same way, as I see it.
But maybe you are right, I would trust the decision to be Valverdes in the end, so the board doesn't buy without asking.

Jombi

Must get in my opinion. Suarez is getting up there in age and has declined steeply in recent years. It's time to start slowly phasing him out and there's no better established striker on the market for less than 100m. The release clause also saves us the hassle of negotiating and can complete the transfer as soon as the summer window opens.

Griezmann + a decent controlling midfielder and we are set for the rest of the Messi era.

I think its just as likely that we would have a team with too many superstars, players getting complacent, always knowing they will start and Valverde not being able to get a properly functioning defensive structure going. Valverde clearly knows how to build a defensive unit when he has the freedom to bench who he wants to bench.

serghei

Guys Suarez has this season, and the next one maybe. That's 1 season with Suarez and Griezmann together. Dembele is 20 let's remember that. Maybe he'll take 1-2 season to fully mature.

gasgas

Guys Suarez has this season, and the next one maybe. That's 1 season with Suarez and Griezmann together. Dembele is 20 let's remember that. Maybe he'll take 1-2 season to fully mature.

So what does the coach when all of Coutinho, Dembele, Griezman, Messi, Suarez are fit?
We don't just buy players just because we can, we need a team that can actually play together, not a superstar collection

JamDav1982

I think its just as likely that we would have a team with too many superstars, players getting complacent, always knowing they will start and Valverde not being able to get a properly functioning defensive structure going. Valverde clearly knows how to build a defensive unit when he has the freedom to bench who he wants to bench.

Five months ago you were telling us how shit the squad is and Real will dominate for years....not you moan that squad could be too good.

You just love to fucking moan.

Jombi

The question is whether we would actually be strengthened with more superstars or whether we would tie Valverde's hands too much.

Zincubus

Banned
Chances that EV will play only Busquets and in front of him Messi, Coutinhio, Dembele, Griezman and Dembouz are close to 0%
He is not stupid.

I think it's clear what will (and should) happen: Suarez will be benched or sold if we buy Griezman. And then Coutinio and Dembele will learn how to track back and coer defensively when on the wing..

Well Couthino already tracks back especially on the odd occasion he loses the ball , he's then like a Jack Russel .

I don't see Dembele as the kind of player who will be ever that good at tackling back to be honest ..

Jombi

Well Couthino already tracks back especially on the odd occasion he loses the ball , he's then like a Jack Russel .

I don't see Dembele as the kind of player who will be ever that good at tackling back to be honest ..

Coutinho tracks back. Thats why I would be interested in seeing how he does as a left forward for us as he has played there for Liverpool. Its not likely to happen, but I feel it would be more balanced than trying to fit Cou, Griezmann, Dembele, Messi and Suarez into the team.

serghei

The question is whether we would actually be strengthened with more superstars or whether we would tie Valverde's hands too much.

I wouldn't call all superstars. Dembele is 20 years old actually. He's very young, he might take more time to develop into a legit world class player. Coutinho doesn't act like a superstar at all, and he will play in midfield for us most of the time, and won't occupy a forward spot. Messi is gonna be 31 soon and he can play extremely well behind 2 strikers, in a more pure '10' role. I suspect his speed will drop even more as he gets older, which will make him less of a goal threat. It would help having 2 skilled strikers to play with up front.

gasgas

I wouldn't call all superstars. Dembele is 20 years old actually. He's very young, he might take more time to develop into a legit world class player. Coutinho doesn't act like a superstar at all, and he will play in midfield for us most of the time, and won't occupy a forward spot. Messi is gonna be 31 soon and he can play extremely well behind 2 strikers, in a more pure '10' role. I suspect his speed will drop even more as he gets older, which will make him less of a goal threat. It would help having 2 skilled strikers to play with up front.

Well if you get bought for such a hefty fee you automatically become a superstar.

Nobody denies Griezman's quality but there is no role for him at all in this team.

Absolute no need to buy him.

It would make more sense to buy a controller CM.
We still have a 30 year old Suarez who can still play 2-3 more years, Messi, recently signed Dembele and Coutinho who can all play in the front three

Not to mention Paco and Arnaiz waiting.

What are we gonna do with all these strikers?

Jombi

I wouldn't call all superstars. Dembele is 20 years old actually. He's very young, he might take more time to develop into a legit world class player. Coutinho doesn't act like a superstar at all, and he will play in midfield for us most of the time, and won't occupy a forward spot. Messi is gonna be 31 soon as well and he can play extremely well behind 2 strikers, also in a more midfield oriented.

They are superstars in the sense that they are attacking marquee signings with a high wage that are expected to play all the time and not warm the bench. Can Valverde handle that and not turn it into an unbalanced team of complacent superstars? I think we might be better off by focusing on reinforcing the midfield and allow some new Pedro type get more chances. Perhaps Arnaiz?

serghei

They are superstars in the sense that they are attacking marquee signings with a high wage that are expected to play all the time and not warm the bench. Can Valverde handle that and not turn it into an unbalanced team of complacent superstars? I think we might be better off by focusing on reinforcing the midfield and allow some new Pedro type get more chances. Perhaps Arnaiz?

Dembele is not expected to play all the time. Suarez won't be expected to play all the time once he goes well into his thirthies at 32-33. If Madrid could rotate Isco for years and years, we can rotate Dembele too until he's certified world class to start every game almost.

Home of Barca Fans