Antoine Griezmann

M

MessiCam

And us being MURDERED on the counter attack when teams run at Busi/Raka hahahaha.

It's a problem in a 4-2-3-1 formation too and the main reason Cruyff was dismissive of the system. If your wingers lose the ball your midfielders/pivots in all likelihood have to play 1v1.

I'm not too fond of the 4-2-3-1 for Barcelona but then again anything is better than this 4-4-2 we have going now...

Messi983

Suarez won't be benched or sold so people can forget about Griezmann-Messi-Dembele front three.

IF we sign Griezmann then I think we'll play 4-2-3-1 and in that case I don't think we'll go after Coutinho as I don't know where he'd play with front 4 already set. I don't think he could play as deep lying playmaker beside Busquets because we would struggle defensively against better teams.

So If we'll really sign Griezmann I could see us also going after Goretzka (or similar player) to play beside Busquets in 4-2-3-1. He's faster and more mobile than Rakitić and he's more physical than Roberto so this could maybe work. But most peple probably wouldn't be too happy with that formation because they think we should stick with 4-3-3 and small midfielders in Xaviesta mould to death even if that don't work anymore. Personally, I don't care that much about formations, I just want us to be successful in last great years of Messi (yes, I don't think he'll leave) even if we won't always play "great". But I think we could still play attractive football with that lineup.

MD/Sport can say we want to sign both all they want but I think it's either Coutinho or Griezmann. And that's not only because signing both would be financially almost impossible unless we'll suddenly learn how to sell players and actually get around 80-100M for our rejects but we all know that won't happen.

Both players have their pros and cons and I'd be happy to get either one but think that Cou would give us more tactical options. He could play in Iniesta's position in 4-3-3 or as LW in 4-2-3-1. Of course in that formation he could also interchange positions with both Messi and Dembele. That said, I think it's more likely we'll sign Griezmann because he has a release clause and we have good relations with Atletico while we are most likely on Liverpool's bad side after what happened last summer.

Judoman

Suarez won't be benched or sold so people can forget about Griezmann-Messi-Dembele front three.

IF we sign Griezmann then I think we'll play 4-2-3-1 and in that case I don't think we'll go after Coutinho as I don't know where he'd play with front 4 already set. I don't think he could play as deep lying playmaker beside Busquets because we would struggle defensively against better teams.

So If we'll really sign Griezmann I could see us also going after Goretzka (or similar player) to play beside Busquets in 4-2-3-1. He's faster and more mobile than Rakitić and he's more physical than Roberto so this could maybe work. But most peple probably wouldn't be too happy with that formation because they think we should stick with 4-3-3 and small midfielders in Xaviesta mould to death even if that don't work anymore. Personally, I don't care that much about formations, I just want us to be successful in last great years of Messi (yes, I don't think he'll leave) even if we won't always play "great". But I think we could still play attractive football with that lineup.

MD/Sport can say we want to sign both all they want but I think it's either Coutinho or Griezmann. And that's not only because signing both would be financially almost impossible unless we'll suddenly learn how to sell players and actually get around 80-100M for our rejects but we all know that won't happen.

Both players have their pros and cons and I'd be happy to get either one but think that Cou would give us more tactical options. He could play in Iniesta's position in 4-3-3 or as LW in 4-2-3-1. Of course in that formation he could also interchange positions with both Messi and Dembele. That said, I think it's more likely we'll sign Griezmann because he has a release clause and we have good relations with Atletico while we are most likely on Liverpool's bad side after what happened last summer.

It s not that 4-3-3 with 2 creative midfielders "doesn t work", it s the fact, that Xavi-Iniesta type of players are extremly rare and extremly hard to get. It doesn t make sence to limit our options, if there are alternatives awailable. With current
set of midfielders with aging Iniesta 4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sence. We have Busi-Raki-Gomez-Bob and of course Paulinho as a potential holding MF. If the news about Griezmann are true, than 4-2-3-1 is the way to go.

M

MessiCam

He should if after the break he fails to improve his form.
Agreed. 4-2-3-1 also basically rules out Iniesta and Alena.
Agreed on the players front but tactical formations have and always will be a huge part of football. The 4-2-3-1 is an attractive alternative which doesn't inhibit passing options and is highly customisable. The problems with it and every top heavy system is the strain the attack takes due to the amount of work they need to do with only 2 central midfielders. For Barcelona it is that Messi doesn't function well with another player alongside him through the centre meaning he'll continue to drop deeper and deeper taking away his scoring threat. The 4-3-3 is still and always will be your best formation to play a passing game but you need skilled players irrespective of size. I think there is a misconception about this size thing because many teams successfully employ a 4-3-3 with sizeable midfielders.
Agreed.
Of the two, and I hate to admit this, I prefer Coutinho.

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

I really like Griezmann but when we decide to play 4-2-3-1 Coutinho would be the better option. He is versatile and can easily play the Iniesta-role if we want to play 4-3-3 every now and then. Ofc it depends on the price too. If Cou costs 50M more than Griezmann he isn't worth it.

springfield

Griezmann, Messi and Suarez is just to much. If Griezmann joins, it has to be to replace Suarez. We don't need both. And it would be to costly. I don't see them spending 100M on him and 100M on a class midfielder, adding the huge wages also..

M

MessiCam

Griezmann, Messi and Suarez is just to much. If Griezmann joins, it has to be to replace Suarez. We don't need both. And it would be to costly. I don't see them spending 100M on him and 100M on a class midfielder, adding the huge wages also..

Well this appears to be happening whether we like it or not according to Fernando Polo. Valverde, Segura and Fernandez all want 4 forwards.

Personally, I can think of better ways to spend 100 Million but he'd definitely improve the squad.

springfield

Well this appears to be happening whether we like it or not according to Fernando Polo. Valverde, Segura and Fernandez all want 4 forwards.

Personally, I can think of better ways to spend 100 Million but he'd definitely improve the squad.

Still, we don't know if it's true. Look at last summer, so much rumours, so much lies.

FCBfan22

We need to buy a midfielder who can play as a winger. Period. We have Suarez and Paco (strikers) and Messi and Alena, who can play as false 9s. Would much rather see us buying 2 midfielders who can act as wingers occasionaly than a ST/winger player. He is also too old for a 5 year contract.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Think Simone squeezed most out of him and we ain't getting anything similar. He's not a fast scorer either and that's basically what we need if he's considered to replace Suarez.

Still, I am more inclined to a forward versus Coutinho as I have big hopes for Alena.

Home of Barca Fans