Antoine Griezmann

Jombi

Griezmann will turn 32 on 2023. That is 5yrs (4 full seasons) from now.

So is he going to play as a left forward? Is that the plan? I still dont see the value in splashing big on something that is likely to weaken us as a team. People just claim that we will simply "rotate" alot, but thats not really going to happen. And rotations for the sake of rotations to keep the high wage earners happy will also weaken us. Lets focus on the midfield and give the other midfielders the chance to join in the attack.

Vilarrubi

So is he going to play as a left forward? Is that the plan? I still dont see the value in splashing big on something that is likely to weaken us as a team. People just claim that we will simply "rotate" alot, but thats not really going to happen. And rotations for the sake of rotations to keep the high wage earners happy will also weaken us. Lets focus on the midfield and give the other midfielders the chance to join in the attack.

Having Griezmann in the squad, starter or bench will not weaken the team... it’s impossible.

Remember we only have Messi/Suárez/Dembele as outright starters in attack.. then Deulofeu as sub.
When Madrid had Morata it worked wonders.. a real talent on the bench and in rotation, they are suffering without him.

Also Griezmann can be used as LW with Suarez up front and Messi on the left, or Striker instead of Suarez. There’s a lot of possibilities with him.

On top of that he’s 100m, which is a steal. I can’t see anything but positives from signing him.

Co0ter

Buying Griezman would only make sense if they played him as LW in a 433 with Messi as RCM, Suarez CF and Dembele as RW with Coutinho as LCM...or LM in 442. None of them will want to rotate and I'm not sure if all 5 of them is balanced enough to be effective. You'd need to have Busquets play very conservatively and at least one fullback be very strong defensively.

Not to mention I think Griezman is very overrated. Not a big game player and very inconsistent...I don't care if he plays for a "defensive" team or not.

Jombi

Having Griezmann in the squad, starter or bench will not weaken the team... it’s impossible.

Remember we only have Messi/Suárez/Dembele as outright starters in attack.. then Deulofeu as sub.
When Madrid had Morata it worked wonders.. a real talent on the bench and in rotation, they are suffering without him.

Also Griezmann can be used as LW with Suarez up front and Messi on the left, or Striker instead of Suarez. There’s a lot of possibilities with him.

On top of that he’s 100m, which is a steal. I can’t see anything but positives from signing him.

Its definitely likely that the signing will weaken us. Valverde will be forced to play at least 3 out of the 4 forwards on extremely high wages while Coutinho is likely to be shackled with more defensive tasks in a 3 man midfield. We wont play with 4 in midfield like we do now and cant give Coutinho and Paulinho offensive freedom. Valverde will basically be given very few tactical options unlike this season. The superstars demand to play. Griezmann is a support forward, not a striker, so thats another issue. He'll very likely be played out of position. Messi can never play on the left or right again so we can ignore that as well. It just doesnt make much sense.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I agree. Balance is key and Griezmann just feels like will hinder that.

With Coutinho our left wing/midfield is covered, Busi and Rakitic in CM, Dembele on the right, and Messi and Suarez up front. Why fuck with that?

omidferoz

Alot of you guys are forgetting that Suarez is getting old and he was in really bad form in the start of the season and for 100mil Griezmann is a steal. In this marked he is easily worth 150-180 million. This is properly Suarez last season as a top striker as he is getting 32 next year.

Alot of you guys are forgetting that Suarez is getting old and he was in really bad form in the start of the season and for 100mil Griezmann is a steal. In this marked he is easily worth 150-180 million. This is properly Suarez last season as a top striker as he is getting 32 next year.

Exactly this, Suarez has been playing well for a couple weeks now and everyone's forgotten how trash he was for the first 3 months of the season. He's 31 now and he could stop playing well again at any moment. If we wait until that time comes we'll have to shell out 150-200m for a new striker. Better to be proactive now and sign Griezmann for 100m.

khaled_a_d

Players don't cost what we pay for their clubs only, Santos only got 17M from Neymar deal and he cost us around 4 or 5 times that much. Alexis was supposed to be free or semi-free with 6 months left and he was actually costing a lot of money.
Unless Griezmann sacrifice a lot of money or just have a bad agent, he isn't going to be steal, he will ask a lot of money that won't make 100M a steal.
And Suarez was playing with bad knee early on,and there is no rumor of him leaving. We don't know if such deal will affect strengthening other positions

raskolnikov

Players don't cost what we pay for their clubs only, Santos only got 17M from Neymar deal and he cost us around 4 or 5 times that much. Alexis was supposed to be free or semi-free with 6 months left and he was actually costing a lot of money.
Unless Griezmann sacrifice a lot of money or just have a bad agent, he isn't going to be steal, he will ask a lot of money that won't make 100M a steal.
And Suarez was playing with bad knee early on,and there is no rumor of him leaving. We don't know if such deal will affect strengthening other positions
I dont think he has got that leverage Alexis had to make crazy wage demands. He should be happy if we sign him. If he doesnt and goes to City or psg for example he will get more money. Because of the shirt number thing I feel this transfer is already agreed upon on the low just keeping it quiet to not disrespect Atletico.

khaled_a_d

IBecause of the shirt number thing I feel this transfer is already agreed upon on the low just keeping it quiet to not disrespect Atletico.

The shirt number could be a lot of things including Coutinho actually preferring number 14 (which make sense as it is more prestigious in the club than 7), to the club wanting Griezmann and would find no problem in keeping the jersey available.

wisconsincule

Not sure why but I’m very skeptical about this transfer. I wanted him to come here really bad after his breakout with Sociedad but every time I seem to watch him I am not impressed and I don’t think he’s a true 9 to replace Suarez.

Alik

I'm not sure about getting Griezmann either. However, I wouldn't be disappointed if we did.

I think the biggest argument for getting Griezmann is if Dembélé turns out to be really injury-prone.

Vilarrubi

Its definitely likely that the signing will weaken us. Valverde will be forced to play at least 3 out of the 4 forwards on extremely high wages while Coutinho is likely to be shackled with more defensive tasks in a 3 man midfield. We wont play with 4 in midfield like we do now and cant give Coutinho and Paulinho offensive freedom. Valverde will basically be given very few tactical options unlike this season. The superstars demand to play. Griezmann is a support forward, not a striker, so thats another issue. He'll very likely be played out of position. Messi can never play on the left or right again so we can ignore that as well. It just doesnt make much sense.

See [MENTION=12394]omidferoz[/MENTION] reply... can’t say it better than that and everyone agrees.

Also what’s with the stubbornness over positioning? Henry played striker for Arsenal.. LW for us. David Villa was striker for Valencia but LW or striker for us, Messi has played Striker, false 9 and RW etc.. it’s not FIFA players aren’t stuck to a certain position.

M

MessiCam

Who is willing to bet here that we will be alternating between a 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with or without the Griezmann signing?

The notion that any of these systems are inferior to a 4 man midfield is just about the craziest thing I’ve read recently. In fact a 3 man central midfield is about as good as it gets. There is no system as conducive to midfield dominance than a 4-3-3.

Home of Barca Fans