Antoine Griezmann

Jakabor

I thought his movement was very good. Also got that goal and assist.

But Suarez and Messi should look for him more and not just each other. I don't like that.

Potroh

I thought his movement was very good. Also got that goal and assist.
But Suarez and Messi should look for him more and not just each other. I don't like that.

Finishing his clear chance was a bit lucky, but good.
His work-rate is formidable but he still plays completely out of position.

Objectively, this opponent was a rather weak one, so it worries me what happens against much better opponents. Griezmann's lack of pace and very limited dribbling capabilities simply make him absolutely unsuitable for the wing, but he will be played there by EV, so nothing really depends on Messi's or Suarez's passing.
Such a slow attacking formation falls easy prey to a European-class defense.

JerseyAddict

Finishing his clear chance was a bit lucky, but good.
His work-rate is formidable but he still plays completely out of position.

Griezmann's lack of pace and very limited dribbling capabilities simply make him absolutely unsuitable for the wing,
Such a slow attacking formation falls easy prey to a European-class defense.

That is why he will not play then and there so EV will play Dembele in that case.

Potroh

That is why he will not play then and there so EV will play Dembele in that case.

On supposition that Griezmann will play most of the Liga games, and supposing that Dembele will be injury free, it's still not a good solution, because playing 15-20 minutes here and there, will not really help Dembele's known inconsistencies, neither will that pump up his motivation or confidence.

Obviously the real solution would be to find a sufficient position for Griezmann, but Valverde's stiffness and lack of flexibility makes it a futuristic desire.

JerseyAddict

On supposition that Griezmann will play most of the Liga games, and supposing that Dembele will be injury free, it's still not a good solution, because playing 15-20 minutes here and there, will not really help Dembele's known inconsistencies, neither will that pump up his motivation or confidence.

Obviously the real solution would be to find a sufficient position for Griezmann, but Valverde's stiffness and lack of flexibility makes it a futuristic desire.

EV will not find a suited position for Griez because as you said he is stiff and plays safe. Our attack is overloaded and the 4 3 3 formation doesn't allow to properly distribute minutes between Messi, Suarez, Griez, Dembele and Fati + Perez ...
Take Messi and Suarez are untouchables Griez and Dembele will not play enough because here is Fati now as new star in terms of "give kids a chance and make a new posterboy" which he also trully deserves.

So there is 1 spot for 3-4 players.

Potroh

EV will not find a suited position for Griez because as you said he is stiff and plays safe. Our attack is overloaded and the 4 3 3 formation doesn't allow to properly distribute minutes between Messi, Suarez, Griez, Dembele and Fati + Perez ...
Take Messi and Suarez are untouchables Griez and Dembele will not play enough because here is Fati now as new star in terms of "give kids a chance and make a new posterboy" which he also trully deserves.
So there is 1 spot for 3-4 players.

Absolutely.
I could just add one small thing to the equation, namely that imho Dembele's ideal post is on the right. He needs a fast Semedo behind him and the entire attacking formation would be way better if Messi started from the midfield and not from the right.
That still wouldn't solve Griezmann's problems if he played as a pseudo-winger, but would bring balance.

Be frank: Messi is used to start from the right but anyway he dribbles toward the middle, which works less and less productively. It's not 2011 anymore, Messi's acceleration is still formidable but if he started more from the middle, that would be great for a right winger with considerable speed.
Even if Griezmann were the best born winger, the right side is usually empty when Messi goes to the mid, and either passes to Suarez, who falls, or to Alba. The right is not really used in attack and playing Dembele there could change that.

Of course that would invoke a 4-2-3-1 that EV would only think of 20 years after his retirement.
Valverde's "tactics" are just like his weary black jacket (fashionable in the 60's), both are outdated and Philistine...

eaman

Very good away game and was man of the match for me. Brilliant to see him get more involved in the game even though he's out on the wing and away from home. Hopefully the start of things to come

Havesaks

4 players are not competing for 1 spot, and griezmann isnt limited to the lw. He will also get minutes as a striker because Suarez minutes can now be afforded to be managed unlike the previous 2 seasons.

Sorin

Absolutely.
I could just add one small thing to the equation, namely that imho Dembele's ideal post is on the right. He needs a fast Semedo behind him and the entire attacking formation would be way better if Messi started from the midfield and not from the right.
That still wouldn't solve Griezmann's problems if he played as a pseudo-winger, but would bring balance.

Be frank: Messi is used to start from the right but anyway he dribbles toward the middle, which works less and less productively. It's not 2011 anymore, Messi's acceleration is still formidable but if he started more from the middle, that would be great for a right winger with considerable speed.
Even if Griezmann were the best born winger, the right side is usually empty when Messi goes to the mid, and either passes to Suarez, who falls, or to Alba. The right is not really used in attack and playing Dembele there could change that.

Of course that would invoke a 4-2-3-1 that EV would only think of 20 years after his retirement.
Valverde's "tactics" are just like his weary black jacket (fashionable in the 60's), both are outdated and Philistine...

Playing 4-2-3-1 would solve a bunch of problems but I still wouldn't use Griezmann as the LW in this scenario. I would start with 2 true wingers like Dembele/Fati/Perez and use Messi behind Griezmann in attack. For defense the role would have to change, with the Frenchman behind Messi. Would also use this when Messi has to rest more, deeper into the season. Anyway, while Griezmann is not a prefect fit for our usual style, he gives us a bunch of alternatives which are always needed when you play 60 games/season against 40 different teams. The problem is that we have a coach with the flexibility of a block of concrete.

JerseyAddict

4 players are not competing for 1 spot, and griezmann isnt limited to the lw. He will also get minutes as a striker because Suarez minutes can now be afforded to be managed unlike the previous 2 seasons.

I can't see EV benching Suarez if he is healthy.

serghei

Suarez will not be benched unless he has a goal drought. Messi will make sure his buddy plays by giving him more passes to finish than Griezmann. That's the impression I get from watching Messi these days.

It's hard to break Suarez - Messi partnership. Valverde is not the man to do it. Griezmann can start only if he can shine in a David Villa type role on the left. Playing wide, but with very frequent inside runs.

Potroh

Griezmann is the clubs top goal contributor with 4 goals and 3 assists, Suarez in 2nd with 5 goals 0 assists.
#FLOP

Griezmann is an excellent footballer but counting his goals and assists is a bit misleading.
Finding his place would be more important than counting.

Reminds me of Arda Turan's 16/17 season when he scored 13 goals but...

Just watch his goal yesterday. Nice ball from Lenglet, quite bad defending from the opponent, his defender slips on the wet grass, so he gains 10 meters of advantage, two defenders start chasing him from the middle and almost catch him despite the ten meters fore(!), lucky because he can shot with his better left-foot (rare coming from the left), bangs it to the keeper, ball goes to the post an in. Quite lucky. Simply shows that against a good opponent he has very limited chances if plays as a winger. Too slow for that.

His assist yesterday? Even you could scoop it to Messi, not all assists are real ones when the media counts all last touches as being assists.

Flop? In the left wing most definitely as he is lacking the two most important ingredients to be a winger.
Flop as a player? No way, he's very good.

Home of Barca Fans