Antoine Griezmann

JamDav1982

not really angry. it just seemed to me that players started as usual but were more mobile as game was open. so the same griezmann on left, suarez center and messi right but always drifting

No it was not set up like that.

It was more similar to Argentina set up with Messi AM behind Griezmann and Suarez and each of forwards took turns to drop and press for Messi.... Griezmann much more often than Suarez.

Horatio

You're welcome
He had close to a perfect game. Made all the right decisions. Was great in attack, great in build-up and like usual great in defense.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

not really angry. it just seemed to me that players started as usual but were more mobile as game was open. so the same griezmann on left, suarez center and messi right but always drifting center.

griezmann was coming from the left when he scored.

Nah, like post above said was a 4-3-1-2. Griezmann’s usually hugging the touch line a lot when he plays LW. Everything was way narrower.

Batistuta9

He hasn't got the game to lead the line by himself. His best football has always came alongside a physically stronger striker, Diego Costa and giroud for example. Playing him close to Suarez will bring out the best in him. No point really playing him at LW as he can't beat a man

mc_lovin

yep seems like a dangerous formation against a team with fast wingers and smart fullbacks. especially since our midfield doesn't run much.

Its either that or Messi on the right, which is also dangerous vs fast wingers :p

4-3-1-2 would be excellent if we had prime Suarez around, I dont think he has the workrate and quickness to make the left striker work anymore on a regular basis. But everything right now is preferable to Griezmann on the left.

Messi983

yep seems like a dangerous formation against a team with fast wingers and smart fullbacks. especially since our midfield doesn't run much.

Yeah, don't see this formation working against better teams either but still think we'd have better chances than sticking with Griez and Messi as "wingers" in 4-3-3.

I think when Frenkie is back something like this could work. Some strange 3-1-3-1-2 like formation.

---------MATS--------
Semedo-Pique-Lenglet
--------------Busi----
Roberto---FDJ-----Alba
--------Messi----------
---Suarez--Griezmann---

Alba is better offensively (well, at least he has a better understanding with Messi) and worse defensively than Semedo so I'd give Semedo a more defensive role to compensate for a lack of defending from Messi (who would still have a chance to move to the right and play there with SR). Griezmann could interchange his role with Messi during the game and drop deeper so Messi would be closer to the goal where he's more dangerous. And he should obviously help out Alba defensively when we could turn into a 4-4-2.

MATS
Semedo-Pique-Lenglet-Alba
Roberto-FDJ-Busi-Griezmann
Suarez-Messi

Alternatively we could also play Puig-FDJ-Roberto in midfield but it does look a bit "too soft" IMO. And I'd like to give them a few easier games in La Liga to see how the'y do together before sending them out in the CL and since FDJ probably won't be back before the end of the league we won't have a chance to do that. And well, Busi is basically unbenchable at this point anyway so we have to find two midfielders to pair with him. And if all available I think this would be FDJ and Roberto. Puig and Vidal can be impact subs from the bench alongside Fati.

jairzinho

Glad that he's doing well but still not the best fit for us long term, especially with Messi in the picture.

We could get a nice sum for him when the windows opens.

Toecrusher

Also key that even though he was in a front 2, he was on the RIGHT side of the front 2. Enabled him to cut inside when necessary and easily swap with Messi.

Dont think it would have worked as well if he was the left forward in a front 2.

Home of Barca Fans