Antoine Griezmann

serghei

I still think griezmann was a dumb signing. If you look at the front 3 of Liverpool and man city, even though they interchange, they all have different attributes and balance the attack. Messi, suarez and griezmann, although good individually, are too similar. Griezmann's best attribute is dropping deep to link up play, but messi is better than him at it. Someone like sterling or mane would bring balance to our attack

I agree he was a dumb signing, but certainly not because he is not a great player. He is. But we keep singing players that require better management to get the most out of and at the same time we keep pretending Valverde is a great manager. It's like you buy a great tasting fish, but you have a dumb chef trying to fillet it. And he butchers that fish to the point that all it is left is 20% of its meat.

Last edited:

Batistuta9

I agree he was a dumb signing, but certainly not because he is not a great player. He is. But we keep singing players that require better management to get the most out of and at the same time we keep pretending Valverde is a great manager. It's like you buy a great tasting fish, but you have a dumb chef trying to fillet it. And he butchers that fish to the point that all it is left is 20% of its meat.

I do think almost 100% of the users want rid of valverde. I was willing to give him the benefit of doubt after roma, wanted him gone after Liverpool and can't believe he kept his job after copa final loss. Unfortunately, it seems like he will see out this season. I just hope the board are brave and get a good manager. It is the most important role for any club, look at city and lfc. I want ten haag, is still doing well after losing important players and play great football

henias

Come on, you are trusting Bartomeu with all the signings? He doesnt know shit about football as well. Since when do we have to resort to so many big money signings; it's ridiculous. No one is denying Valverde is a terrible manager, but Barto is part of the problem. He is resorting to more senseless signings, partly due to Valverde's woes. You could say both of them are bringing the entire club down.

Griezmann is neither like Firmino or Tadic; I don't care how he does for Atletico or France, where he basically has the free-man role all to himself. That's where he can roam without restriction. In Barca, you have Messi who innately expresses his creativity and false 9 abilities, with dribbling superiority. How is Griezmann supposed to co-exist when his main ability is roaming as well.

Firmino has attributes of close dribbling and clinical finishing. Powerful and clinical and has the technique for it. He merely played a false 9 role which requires dropping deep but overall he is a much more superior striker than Griez. Griezmann is more solely dependant on movement and always has been. He is also weak in being both footed. If you want him as a CF, you need to have powerful strikes, and is able to score in various positions. It's a misconception strikers only shoot from the middle, modern strikers now is able to shoot from left right centre, but evidently Griez is incredibly weak in that area. He is more used to picking up loose shots and try to put it in the back of the net. But asking him to score a goal after Messi pass along the flank he will struggle. Not to mention he is also weak in getting past defenders.

I suppose you can ask a coach to "develop" him in that area but he doesnt have the acceleration to beat defenders, he is more accustomed to staying behind the lines of defence. A coach can only develop a player BASED on his abilities and attributes. Another thing that can be developed nowadays is decision making which is what many players lack. You can tell Messi to play like Ronaldo or Ronaldo to play like Messi that's just impossible. Pep made use of Messi's abilities and played him as a false 9.

serghei

Griezmann has all the qualities to play as a forward under Klopp, Guardiola or Ten Hag. He is like a better version of Mertens from Napoli. Who also played very well under Sarri at Napoli with Insigne and Callejon in a very fluid front 3 with a lot of movement.

I stick with my idea here. You can get the best out of Griezmann in two ways. Either with a conservative manager with a clear 9 in front of him, like Giroud for France, or Morata/Costa/Mandzukic for Atletico. In which case he does clash with Messi since Messi is also a CAM/2nd striker now. Or he can play as a mobile no9 under modern managers, in which case he could coincide with Messi, just like Firmino coincides with Salah for Liverpool. Two players who frenquently change places in attack and play off each other, with Mane also joining in centrally a lot.

We can agree or disagree with how Griezmann would do or won't do under different managers. But the reality of the situation is that what he surely can't do is play LW under a conservative manager like Valverde. There shouldn't be any disagreements that he is grossly misused at Barcelona in the current setup.

Last edited:

Tackle

EJmGGUDXYAAK6t8.jpg

Look at where he is starting for France and compare it to where he starts here.

No manager could make the lad work in the same starting XI as Messi.

EdmondDantes

Eduardo Inda, El Chiringuito

He's a madridista.

For sure.

But sometimes I'm under the impression guys at Marca, AS, Chiringuito break news that the folks at MD or Sport know first but are unwilling to.

It's probably bullshit but Griezmann does look a bit depressed and exiled here.

Messigician

Europe is laughing at us... Coutinho and now Griezmann. Why the fuck did we buy him lol?

Every striker we have always bought has had to be able to play LW. Henry, Stoichkov, Romario, Villa, Suarez Eto'o etc

If they failed to like Zlatan they are sold.
This isn't something new, it is necessary

Nazario1985

Look at where he is starting for France and compare it to where he starts here.

No manager could make the lad work in the same starting XI as Messi.

Griez have to adapt we don't play this kind of schema since the 90's !! all big striker for us had different postions in their previous clubs & national teams

Home of Barca Fans