Antoine Griezmann

mc_lovin

We seem to have made a huge mistake.. he needs to reinvent himself if he is to succeed at Barca.

How is he supposed to reinvent himself? He doesnt have the dribbling ability of a winger, and not the strength of a centre forward. He was unable to play with his back to goal today. I thought he could be a decent inverted winger, but there are 2 problems:
a) Messi plays on the right, who probably shouldnt be moved to the middle - and on the left he cant cut inside (wrong foot)
b) Hes neither fast nor a good dribbler (just compare him to Villa, Pedro...)

No idea when I was this pessimistic about a new signing. At least he works hard.

problem is, his performances from the left cant justify him starting there ahead of a player with the actual pace we sorely lack in Dembele.. despite Dembouz being inconsistent.

unlike Coutinho, i thank him and respect him for his workrate and effort but it won't workout here. another huge L from Barto

Yep.

Last edited:

Tackle

We seem to have made a huge mistake.. he needs to reinvent himself if he is to succeed at Barca.

His main attributes which are his link-up play and mobility are severely limited by the presence of Messi. He needs touches and must be the focal point of the attack to shine. Question is what else does he have to offer?

Pace? No.
Strength? No.
Aerial ability? No.
Dribbling? No.
Long-range shooting? No.
Playing with his back to goal as a proper 9? No.
Crazy vision? No.
Magic skills? No.

His work-rate and attitude is admirable unlike Coutinho, but at least he had some Brazilian flair and hit long curlers from time to time. Griezmann offers zero in attack while sharing a pitch with Leo.

Neymar is a player that could reinvent himself and adopt many different roles on a team. Griezmann not so much.

500m wasted on the three flops.

Last edited:

JohnN

Not sure he can reinvent himself either. But playing like he does now will lead us nowhere. It is kind of sad really, but I can't find one positive thing about his signing right now.

Messigician

Freeze him out of the team, it's the only solution to getting him to depart while his transfer value high.

Everyone knew he wouldn't be a good fit, the LW experiment failed, can't dribble, too slow, not physical enough to play striker.

Unless he's ready to reinvent himself as a left back it's time to go!

henias

It's actually hilarious how so many armchair forums coaches were able to accurately predict griezmanns issues. Barcelona's scouting network undone by barcaforum

On the contrary, majority of these "armchair coaches" claimed Griezmann will definitely work with Messi. The ones against Griezmann from the start are actually only a handful. I am actually pretty accurate so far- from Valverde, Coutinho to Griezmann. :tea: Some people even think I'm some kind of miserable bloke who hates on people but I'm looking everything solely at a tactical point of view.

If we buy a player for workrate just to ditch all other attributes like dribbling, acceleration, goal scoring technique, I'd suggest it's as good as none.

Last edited:

Jadentheman

Freeze him out of the team, it's the only solution to getting him to depart while his transfer value high.

Everyone knew he wouldn't be a good fit, the LW experiment failed, can't dribble, too slow, not physical enough to play striker.

Unless he's ready to reinvent himself as a left back it's time to go!

The only person is Neymar! No one else. We wasted two Neymars of money for three flops. When will the board learn? When will Barca forum learn?

EDIT: I'm all in on Neymar now. This is getting ridiculous, I know you agree [MENTION=23192]Messigician[/MENTION]. Wasted three seasons already.

Last edited:

JohnN

A sliver of hope remains for him I believe. Not to perform insanely better or click with the other guys, but to produce a world class moment in an important game. That's all I am hoping for right now from him. This team relies on individual moments instead of teamplay anyway, so there is that.

Riordon

Im quite sure it won't work. There is little hope that he will come good under a different manager but hardly to believe. Another 135m+ waster. Our sporting department is SHIT. What has Abidal done in his career to earn a job as the sporting director? Its ridiculous. Barto knows fans like Abidal and therefore hopefully will avoid criticism but we should get professionals as directors.

George_Costanza

On the contrary, majority of these "armchair coaches" claimed Griezmann will definitely work with Messi. The ones against Griezmann from the start are actually only a handful. I am actually pretty accurate so far- from Valverde, Coutinho to Griezmann. :tea: Some people even think I'm some kind of miserable bloke who hates on people but I'm looking everything solely at a tactical point of view.

If we buy a player for workrate just to ditch all other attributes like dribbling, acceleration, goal scoring technique, I'd suggest it's as good as none.

Both with Coutinho and Griezmann it was obvious actually. Coutinho we didn't need him and Griezmann we already have Messi occupying that spot.

The problem is we have yes man-manager without a footballing philosophy and system. Can you imagine a club would spend 100m+ on a player without Pep or Klopp's approval? If Valverde had some balls he would've disapproved Griezmann's signing and make sure to demonstrate to Barto/Board the reasons why Griezmann won't fit his system or any system that involves Messi. That's why it's amazing how this coach is getting paid 23m per annum for doing a job a high school physical trainer can do. Maybe he didn't know it won't work which is even worse! :lol:

henias

Both with Coutinho and Griezmann it was obvious actually. Coutinho we didn't need him and Griezmann we already have Messi occupying that spot.

The problem is we have yes man-manager without a footballing philosophy and system. Can you imagine a club would spend 100m+ on a player without Pep or Klopp's approval? If Valverde had some balls he would've disapproved Griezmann's signing and make sure to demonstrate to Barto/Board the reasons why Griezmann won't fit his system or any system that involves Messi. That's why it's amazing how this coach is getting paid 23m per annum for doing a job a high school physical trainer can do. Maybe he didn't know it won't work which is even worse! :lol:

Yeah it was painfully obvious. But sadly majority doesnt agree with me, even during Coutinho signing I had BBZ telling me I'm a hater :lol:

Barto and Valverde is like blind leading the blind. Both will get you nowhere.

Batistuta9

Massive stupidity from the board getting griezmann. Everyone could see his best position is where messi plays, no coincidence his best game was against betis when messi was injured. Should have bought someone who actually plays as a LW/LF like Son. Maybe put in a bid for him in January as Tottenham are all over the place.

henias

^ Yes, Son is definitely a great great choice, he can play left, right and even centre because he has the attributes for it. He has astonishing speed, workrate, acceleration, both footed, incredible shooting technique from curl shots to powerful long shots- you name it, never complained and genuinely loves playing.

Add his very likeable personality to the list. Griezmann would prolly be sold and money will be better spent on Sonny.

George_Costanza

Massive stupidity from the board getting griezmann. Everyone could see his best position is where messi plays, no coincidence his best game was against betis when messi was injured. Should have bought someone who actually plays as a LW/LF like Son. Maybe put in a bid for him in January as Tottenham are all over the place.

Not everyone, go back to April/May in this same thread and you will see 70% of the posters here supporting Griezmann's signing. Same with Coutinho, Jamdav and BBZ convinced most posters here that Coutinho is the second coming of Christ.

So Barto= Jamdav/BBZ
Socios= most Barcaforum casual posters

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Not everyone, go back to April/May in this same thread and you will see 70% of the posters here supporting Griezmann's signing. Same with Coutinho, Jamdav and BBZ convinced most posters here that Coutinho is the second coming of Christ.

So Barto= Jamdav/BBZ
Socios= most Barcaforum casual posters

I didn't see that at all. You had the naymar supporters masquerading as barca supports, those against the coutinho signing and even potroh all against him being signed.

I think even bbz may even have been against this one as well.

Home of Barca Fans