The Coaches Corner II: The Rise of the Rich

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
You prove to me you are aware of the league, the club, recent history and to be reasonable I will allow you to participate..

CHANCES COME ONCE IN A LIFE TIME, YA BETTER TAKE IT UP!!!!!!!

And please don't make it long.

Sorry Raed... Looks like I won't have much free time now. That was kind of unexpected.
I think it's better some one came with ideas for Racing too.

Only please buy Henrique from Barcelona by paying 8m EUROS :D

Beast

The Observer
gallery_90445_29730_5652123554d01a2cf03005.gif

Interesting point but if you noticed most of my buys are actually quite cheap
Pedro castaway in Real , Guardado (relegated + in deep debt without a fan base ),Bojan won't cost much , Ruud out of contract , Van Der Saar too old and Der Wiel is not expensive ..probably the only one that would cost close to 15-18 Mil is Borja Valero , Sissoko is a castaway in Juve
Raed , Monreal will go for the right price they won't fight for him as u imagine , Osasuna is a selling club

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Pedro castaway in Real , Guardado (relegated + in deep debt without a fan base ),Bojan won't cost much , Ruud out of contract , Van Der Saar too old and Der Wiel is not expensive ..probably the only one that would cost close to 15-18 Mil is Borja Valero , Sissoko is a castaway in Juve
Raed , Monreal will go for the right price they won't fight for him as u imagine , Osasuna is a selling club

What if I battle you for Guardado and Monreal :p

Beast

The Observer
Don't mind i have plenty of backups i'm not planning to spend big @ first just enough to reach Europa league for couple of seasons before looking for the CL spot , i'll take Sakho off your hand ;) we have a better located club not on the outskirts of Madrid like Getafe ;)

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Dzsudzsak any one?

There's Keisuke Honda, another interesting option.

Ola Toivonen

Last edited:

Guardian

The Getafe Conundrum

Dear Al-Maktoum family,
Salam Aleykoum! I'm your man! Just before I start introducing my super plan about Getafe , can I ask you a personal question?
Do you have any beautiful and marriageable daughter? I will be the best husband out there, I will take care of her and spank her if she gets naughty. I promise to control your financial empire and expand it few times! Have that in your mind.

The Getafe manifesto

1. Match fixing and gambling
We are not going to win at Nou Camp or Bernabeu anyway, so why not making money out of these games? We can manipulate the results and put big bets on fixed results (for example 2:6, 2:7) at some of the Asian bookmakers and win millions! We also can lose at home to a weaker opponent against the odds and win even more cash!
Yes, I'm genius.
2. Merchandising
We don't have big fan base, so we have to offer something different and unconventional to the global fans. Our main placement target could be the female fans. We can offer them calendars and postcards with our naked players, also we can offer them adult toys with the club crest on them. Our moto can be: "Ä football club with real men for real female supporters!"
Trust me, we will make millions here!
3. Transfer policy
For the start we will go for big-name signings, popular and ageing players like RvNistelrooy and some of the young guns from the smaller countries. Our objectivities will be European football next season and match fixing when playing Eastern European clubs, they are used to this. We will make lot of cash.

Oops. I have to go now, but...

it will be continued!

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Im not gonna delve into one of the listed examples and work out the strategy in detail, but im gonna show what dimensions/aspects have to be dealed with imo and use a good example from Germany (not Hoffenheim), where you can learn a lot from.

Bayer Leverkusen decided to take an interesting path in the early 90ies. When they won the UEFA Cup in 1988, they only had like 7.000-8.000 spectators on avg in their home stadium. They never had any sheikh money, but they always been heavily sponsored by their name-giving Corporation. That always made them able to get good players and build strong squads but had a high impact on their image - they were usually dubbed 'factory club', not a good basis to get fans and sponsors.

Thus they basically did two things for squadbuilding to generate fans and spectators:
1. They bought very famous national players on the edge of their careers in Rudi Völler and Bernd Schuster, who still were strong enough to add a lot to the game
2. They heavily went for brazilian players, using the image of the brazilian football, i.e. their flair. And they didnt simply buy them, but they created a huge scouting network in Brasil and employed a few people only for the brasilian players helping them to settle and integrate to Germany

Not only the palyers drew attention, but they also established a pretty spectacular attacking football (which is ofc somehow natural with these players). And id say they still have this image and are now filling their 30k stadium easily each week and are an interesting option for sponsors.

You can learn a lot from this example and thus follow it. But its not only about building the 'right' squad for shortteam success, but with huge financial power its very worth investing into infrastructure, like the other, latest example shows (Hoffenheim).

So now enter the different aspects:
1. General strategy
2. Tactical philosophy
3. Squad
4. Human Ressources (other than first team players)
5. Infrastructure (Training facilities and Stadium)

Now the details:

1. General strategy

Following Leverkusens example, the strategy would be to generate fans, both regionally (which is esp. hard for Getafe that has two first division teams in their city already) and nationwide. Its also important to turn the club into a brand, that is easy to recognize and that distinguishes from other clubs to draw the attention from possible (other) sponsors to generate and insure extra longterm income. Note that you always have to steal attention and fans from other clubs - its harder for Getafe (although i think theres a good chance to steal from Atletico), but its always the same really.

Therefore its always a good choice to establish an offensive, attacking style of play to the club, b/c thats what the public likes more, sometimes even more than winning titles (Werder Bremen is a also good example here). A defensive approach is usually easier to employ and warrants faster success (like qualifying for EL or even CL 1-2 years faster), but its worth here to go for the longterm success.

Besides employing the tactics for the first team its very important for longterm success to get the right people in the coaching and scouting staffs (esp. youth) and the necessary infrastructure (both top-notch) to create perfect training conditions. The whole strategy has a longterm view (as the ressources are almost unlimited anyway), and longterm success is supposed to come from the youth ranks, following the strategy of the currently most successful club.

The 10-years plan would be as following:

Year 1-2: Building a squad to meet the shortterm tactical criterias
Year 2-5: Make sure EL qualification is safe and qualify for CL 1-2 times
Year 6-8: Make sure CL qualification is safe and insert youth players into the first teams with world class potential to play a good role in the CL and the Liga
Year 9-10: Make the CL semi-finals at least once, win La Liga at least once

2. Tactical philosophy

Prioritize on attacking, i.e. scoring more than on preventing goals - see the strategy. Its ofc impossible to establish such a complex attacking-style like Barcelona has within a few months. Easiest way is to focus on the transitioning phases, when switching from defense to attack and to employ a very direct and fast style.

But make sure the team always likes to score, even when they are one up and its the final 10 minutes. What ppl dont wanna see is boring, destructive football. That is just not allowed b/c it harms the longterm strategy (see above - image / generating supporters etc.).

The longterm approach (starting year 6) should be a controlling total football style, with Barca as reference. Its ofc a transition, adding new aspects and tactics one after another over time.

3. Squad

The players should be able to put the tactical approach into practice - that however changes during time. The emphasis is on offensive players more than on defensive ones. Otherwise there are basically three things to do:

a. Get famous players, i.e. stars to draw attention.

These should be somehow on the downfall, but willing to show that they still got it. Exposed players should have it easy to settle in b/c they would naturally be on top of the team hierarchy, w/out necessarily haveing to show wordl class performances on a weekly base. Raul in Schalke is an excellent example.

For Getafe that would be even more important due to their competition with RM and Atletico, but residing in Madrid is at least more interesting for the players than somewhere in the outback.

Its very important that the players still have a high motivation and a very good image. And these should be offensive players. An interesting target would thus be Kaka (esp. for Getafe - he wouldnt have to move), a no-go would be Ronaldinho for example. Also van der Sar or Lucio should be excluded (no defensive players). 1-2 of this kind of player would do.

b. Add solid players

Otherwise check what you have, keep the current key players and add players that are solid and improve the squad, but dont overdo it. Its very important to not create a huge gap between the established players and the new ones, esp. regarding salaries (while 1-2 superstars are usually accepted).

Also dont overdo it with new players. Getting them to play together takes a while and this team is only there to play together for a few years. Repeat the player exchange every year, i.e. switch the 2-3 weakest players for 2-3 new ones that are just a bit better than the current average.

c. Train youth players and add them to the first team

The probably most important, as longterm success is based on it. These youth players should be given priority over outside players, even if the outsiders have the currently higher skills. The potential of the youth players is however important. But the top talents should always be taken over outside players, even if that would mean a 1-2 years disadvantage.

The first team coach should be an experienced 1st division coach, but rather young and with very good motivational skills and somehow 'modern', i.e. not a classic authority. Its very important for him to know how to treat young players best and be very motivational to them to make sure their potential and talent is released.

For the youth and second team coaches it should be a mix of very talented young coaches and experienced coaches that are already working with up-to-date methods. Honestly, i would do everything to get a few Barca youth coaches in, and wouldnt refrain from throwing a lot of money onto them to lure them here. Note that these coaches are the foundation for the longterm success, everything should be done to ensure the best possible training conditions for the youth players.

This being said, a huge scouting network is needed as well. Try to get the best guys possible for the job - both nationally and also in spanish speaking countries (latin america).

Dont spare any money on the training facilities. Not on the pitches etc themselves, but also on residential schools etc.

Then plan and build a new, modern stadium with 'appropriate' size. Like the avg. count of spectators is 20.000 currently, then build a stadium for 40.000 - its not wise to build a 80.000 stadium to have it only 1/3 or 1/2 full and prevent a good atmosphere. But it should be upgradable. Also the location should be able to handle a future 80.000 specators already. I think Hoffenheim is a good example - that Stadium is rather small (30k) with only 1 tier, but it looks like you could add another tier on top to me ...

Now this got far more than i actually planned. Its not exemplary for one of the mentioned clubs, but regardless what club i would pick if i had basically infinite ressourced, it would be like this. Now you see that i dont care much for shortterm success - which seems to heavily seperates me from these russians and sheiks, but i still believe its the way to go for longterm success.

Lemmi

The Reckoner

And Berbatov on the bench will be let go for 45 cents and a large bag of skittles?

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Im not gonna delve into one of the listed examples and work out the strategy in detail, but im gonna show what dimensions/aspects have to be dealed with imo and use a good example from Germany (not Hoffenheim), where you can learn a lot from.

Bayer Leverkusen decided to take an interesting path in the early 90ies. When they won the UEFA Cup in 1988, they only had like 7.000-8.000 spectators on avg in their home stadium. They never had any sheikh money, but they always been heavily sponsored by their name-giving Corporation. That always made them able to get good players and build strong squads but had a high impact on their image - they were usually dubbed 'factory club', not a good basis to get fans and sponsors.

Thus they basically did two things for squadbuilding to generate fans and spectators:
1. They bought very famous national players on the edge of their careers in Rudi Völler and Bernd Schuster, who still were strong enough to add a lot to the game
2. They heavily went for brazilian players, using the image of the brazilian football, i.e. their flair. And they didnt simply buy them, but they created a huge scouting network in Brasil and employed a few people only for the brasilian players helping them to settle and integrate to Germany

Not only the palyers drew attention, but they also established a pretty spectacular attacking football (which is ofc somehow natural with these players). And id say they still have this image and are now filling their 30k stadium easily each week and are an interesting option for sponsors.

You can learn a lot from this example and thus follow it. But its not only about building the 'right' squad for shortteam success, but with huge financial power its very worth investing into infrastructure, like the other, latest example shows (Hoffenheim).

1. General strategy
2. Tactical philosophy
3. Squad

Now the details:

1. General strategy

Following Leverkusens example, the strategy would be to generate fans, both regionally (which is esp. hard for Getafe that has two first division teams in their city already) and nationwide. Its also important to turn the club into a brand, that is easy to recognize and that distinguishes from other clubs to draw the attention from possible (other) sponsors to generate and insure extra longterm income. Note that you always have to steal attention and fans from other clubs - its harder for Getafe (although i think theres a good chance to steal from Atletico), but its always the same really.

Therefore its always a good choice to establish an offensive, attacking style of play to the club, b/c thats what the public likes more, sometimes even more than winning titles (Werder Bremen is a also good example here). A defensive approach is usually easier to employ and warrants faster success (like qualifying for EL or even CL 1-2 years faster), but its worth here to go for the longterm success.

Besides employing the tactics for the first team its very important for longterm success to get the right people in the coaching and scouting staffs (esp. youth) and the necessary infrastructure (both top-notch) to create perfect training conditions. The whole strategy has a longterm view (as the ressources are almost unlimited anyway), and longterm success is supposed to come from the youth ranks, following the strategy of the currently most successful club.

Year 6-8: Make sure CL qualification is safe and insert youth players into the first teams with world class potential to play a good role in the CL and the Liga

2. Tactical philosophy

Prioritize on attacking, i.e. scoring more than on preventing goals - see the strategy. Its ofc impossible to establish such a complex attacking-style like Barcelona has within a few months. Easiest way is to focus on the transitioning phases, when switching from defense to attack and to employ a very direct and fast style.

But make sure the team always likes to score, even when they are one up and its the final 10 minutes. What ppl dont wanna see is boring, destructive football. That is just not allowed b/c it harms the longterm strategy (see above - image / generating supporters etc.).

The longterm approach (starting year 6) should be a controlling total football style, with Barca as reference. Its ofc a transition, adding new aspects and tactics one after another over time.

3. Squad

The players should be able to put the tactical approach into practice - that however changes during time. The emphasis is on offensive players more than on defensive ones. Otherwise there are basically three things to do:

These should be somehow on the downfall, but willing to show that they still got it. Exposed players should have it easy to settle in b/c they would naturally be on top of the team hierarchy, w/out necessarily haveing to show wordl class performances on a weekly base. Raul in Schalke is an excellent example.

For Getafe that would be even more important due to their competition with RM and Atletico, but residing in Madrid is at least more interesting for the players than somewhere in the outback.

Its very important that the players still have a high motivation and a very good image. And these should be offensive players. An interesting target would thus be Kaka (esp. for Getafe - he wouldnt have to move), a no-go would be Ronaldinho for example. Also van der Sar or Lucio should be excluded (no defensive players). 1-2 of this kind of player would do.

b. Add solid players

Otherwise check what you have, keep the current key players and add players that are solid and improve the squad, but dont overdo it. Its very important to not create a huge gap between the established players and the new ones, esp. regarding salaries (while 1-2 superstars are usually accepted).

Also dont overdo it with new players. Getting them to play together takes a while and this team is only there to play together for a few years. Repeat the player exchange every year, i.e. switch the 2-3 weakest players for 2-3 new ones that are just a bit better than the current average.

The probably most important, as longterm success is based on it. These youth players should be given priority over outside players, even if the outsiders have the currently higher skills. The potential of the youth players is however important. But the top talents should always be taken over outside players, even if that would mean a 1-2 years disadvantage.

The first team coach should be an experienced 1st division coach, but rather young and with very good motivational skills and somehow 'modern', i.e. not a classic authority. Its very important for him to know how to treat young players best and be very motivational to them to make sure their potential and talent is released.

For the youth and second team coaches it should be a mix of very talented young coaches and experienced coaches that are already working with up-to-date methods. Honestly, i would do everything to get a few Barca youth coaches in, and wouldnt refrain from throwing a lot of money onto them to lure them here. Note that these coaches are the foundation for the longterm success, everything should be done to ensure the best possible training conditions for the youth players.

This being said, a huge scouting network is needed as well. Try to get the best guys possible for the job - both nationally and also in spanish speaking countries (latin america).

Dont spare any money on the training facilities. Not on the pitches etc themselves, but also on residential schools etc.

Then plan and build a new, modern stadium with 'appropriate' size. Like the avg. count of spectators is 20.000 currently, then build a stadium for 40.000 - its not wise to build a 80.000 stadium to have it only 1/3 or 1/2 full and prevent a good atmosphere. But it should be upgradable. Also the location should be able to handle a future 80.000 specators already. I think Hoffenheim is a good example - that Stadium is rather small (30k) with only 1 tier, but it looks like you could add another tier on top to me ...

Now this got far more than i actually planned. Its not exemplary for one of the mentioned clubs, but regardless what club i would pick if i had basically infinite ressourced, it would be like this. Now you see that i dont care much for shortterm success - which seems to heavily seperates me from these russians and sheiks, but i still believe its the way to go for longterm success.

I love this post. It is what I created this thread for. Some quality posts here, I hope more people think about the future of La Liga and contribute.

If anyone has another idea for another episode in a week or two, PM me.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire

1. General strategy
2. Tactical philosophy
3. Squad

Now the details:

1. General strategy

2. Tactical philosophy

3. Squad

b. Add solid players

I love this post. It is what I created this thread for. Some quality posts here, I hope more people think about the future of La Liga and contribute.

If anyone has another idea for another episode in a week or two, PM me.

veryfatchocobo

LOL. If you had money, you wouldn't even be on this website, let us face it. The reason I selected these clubs is because they are already invested in, by very very rich people. Perhaps making them the richest clubs in Spain as it stands. I am not sure if you were aware of that but if you weren't, I am glad this thread has enlightened the rest of us to this fact.

Plus, the clubs you selected are terrible choices. When you purchase Valencia for the sum they are willing to accept, you are incurring on yourself a massive debt, that not even the club's talent, city and history will make up for it. For the money you will pay, you will want to win the league, a lot. Not with Real Madrid and Barcelona are on super sayin level 99 ahead of you. So Valencia is far from attractive.

Depor are where they belong, the wheels have been coming off for a long time and they are one of the worst teams to watch. Sentimental value has its place in real estate, not in football business. Real Betis have JUST come back to La Liga and what do you do with a recently promoted club? Getafe has made waves in Europe not too long ago, Malaga has is actually in top flight football and Racing Santander has been in top flight with a decent team for a long time too.

So I do not see how you can argue that the investments made in these three clubs are worse than the ones you mentioned. Now if you have named Seville or Villareal then I would understand. Both have very good scouting systems, have made waves in Europe, can actually compete for domestic cups as well as European trophies by finishing 3rd and 4th. They would have come at a heavier price but you get football, a stable football club with very good fan base. Clubs who can attract coaches, and ones of quality.
HAHAHA. Exactly why I have no money.

El Gato

Villarato!
There is a huge article on Marca telling about terrible debt situation for Spanish clubs and players getting less than 50% of their wages. All debts of the clubs combined reach 4 milliard euros, 42 million towards players not getting their wages. At least half of Segunda Division and Segunda B clubs were taken to court by their players for not getting paid. Only Real and Barca are able to withstand this debt crisis, but something seriously needs to be done...

Home of Barca Fans