Arturo Vidal

BBZ8800

That post was not professional but further sidelining him because of that would marginalize him even further. What is the point of buying him in the first place? Are we paying him and Malcom just to have them sit on the bench (in Malcom’s case, sit on the stand)? Making an example out of them because they expressed their discontent? Does Valverde know how to manage people at all? Does Valverde know anything about motivating people?

I hate Valverde with so much passion.

I have wrote in Rakitic's thread, I think that EV wanted to play 442 and that he tried to build a squad for it.
Willian was a perfect short term player for a RM in 442.
Vidal would have been great in 442 with Coutinho-Rakitic/Vidal-Busi-Willian.

But then suddenly, the board didn't want to buy Willian, we turned to Malcom.
Regarding Vidal, I don't see him in 433. He can play only with Rakitic/Arthur to cover his back when he goes in attack.
Imo, Coutinho-Vidal won't play together too much.

Or, Vidal could play now in 433 with Rakitic/Arthurt+Busi, and with Coutinho in attack.
But then you guys will whine again why Dembele or Malcom aren't playing.

When you sum it all, I don't think that a lineup with:
1. Dembele (not defending at all)
2. Suarez (not defending that much)
3. Messi (not defending at all)
4. Coutinho (trying to defend, but he sucks in it)
5. Vidal (awesome in defeding, but often bombs forward leaving spaces behind him, and paired with Coutinho as a Cm who does the same, that is not good).

So, for example, this lineup, with 5 players who are prone to bombing forward and leave holes behind them is not a solution.

So, guys, in short, if you want to play 433:
1. if you want Vidal, you need Busquets+Rakitic OR Arthur to cover his back
2. if you want Coutinho, you need Busquets+Rakitic OR Arthur to cover his back
3. if you want BOTH Coutinho and Vidal as CMs, imo, it won't work defensively (counters)
4. if you want Dembele in attack, then Coutinho needs to play as a CM and Dembele-Messi-Suarez-Coutinho need Busquets and Rakitic OR Arthur to cover their backs. Vidal can't play
5. if you want Malcom, Dembele can't play. And the same story, BOTH Coutinho and Vidal can't play

EV is torn between 442 whom he likes and 433 whom probably media is forcing and to which majority of players are used to.
Also, fans want as many as attacking players as possible in a starting 11 (Dembele, Messi, Suarez + Coutinho), not thinking too much about control, balance, defense.

2 last matches against Tottenham and Valencia were 2 matches where we had lots of control, compared to a last few weeks.
Some will reply: this is due to Arthur
I would say:
1. it is due to Arthur
2. it is due to Arthur paired with Busquets and Rakitic, none of them are bombing forward and they keep their position and this is why we are in control when we have the ball and why we recover balls easily, plus we aren't THAT prone to counters
3. also, no Dembele and we play with 4 central midfielders (Coutinho, Busquets, Rakitic, Arthur) and whenever last season we played similar (Iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets, Paulinho/Gomes), we usually had clean sheets and good balance in midfield.
On the other hand, we do lack some pace from wings in this formation, but we could have won yesterday, when Coutinho needed to score for 2:1 but he hesitated to shoot.

Imo, people will always compare everything to Pep's era, and you guys would probably like to see:
1. 433 which will have midfield control
2. 433 which will be good in attack with good wingers
3. 433 which will be decent in defense

Well, since we don't have Pep's players anymore, imo current players CAN'T bring you everything from above.
Imo, you can only get 2 out of these 3 with this set of players.

So, if we play like yesterday:
1. we will have midfield control and a good defense
2. but we will lack some pace in attack and we won't have wingers

If we'll play 433 with Dembele-Suarez-Messi and Coutinho in midfield:
1. we will have more pace and magic in attack
2. but way less control in midfield, weaker defense and lots of free space and counters for opponents

If we'll play Rakitic-Arthur-Busi, and Coutinho-Messi-Dembele
1. we will have a midfield control and some magic from wings
2. but we won't have anyone in the opponent's box to draw the defenders away and often we will have no one in or even around the box

So, imo, we can't get EVERYTHING with these players.
So, you should pick WHAT good things you want to see, and what are you willing to sacrifice.

The only other option to get some midfield balance and a good attack is to drop Coutinho and play:
Dembele-Suarez-Messi
Rakitic-Busquets-Arthur

That way we would have:
1. good attack, pace in attack, a man in the box (Suarez)
2. strong, well balanced and midfield which is controlling and good in defending

So, imo, it will either be:
1. a strong midfield with Coutinho-Suarez-Messi in attack
2. or a strong midfield with Dembele-Suarez-Messi in attack

Dembele and Cotuinho probably can't play together too much anymore, except in home matches vs bottomtable teams (Dembele in attack, Coutinho in midfield with 2 players covering his back)
But then, Busi and Rakitic will play, and you again won't see Arthur.
I won't ever try to add Malcom and Vidal into combinations because it is way too complicated and they are all (too) attacking players.

When you sum it all, it becomes quite simple, clear and logical why Rakitic was the most played Barca's player for 4 years in a row.
Because he is the only guy (with Busi) who is covering for 4 players in our attack who don't defend.

Last edited:

MagIX

The only other option to get some midfield balance and a good attack is to drop Coutinho and play:
Dembele-Suarez-Messi
Rakitic-Busquets-Arthur

That way we would have:
1. good attack, pace in attack, a man in the box (Suarez)
2. strong, well balanced and midfield which is controlling and good in defending

So, imo, it will either be:
1. a strong midfield with Coutinho-Suarez-Messi in attack
2. or a strong midfield with Dembele-Suarez-Messi in attack

Dembele and Cotuinho probably can't play together too much anymore, except in home matches vs bottomtable teams (Dembele in attack, Coutinho in midfield with 2 players covering his back).

I totally agree

ronniecro

who the fuck he think he is?damn this idiot makes me miss paulinho and i was against him from the start...can't wait to see him go

Cule4life

The Culest
Still Vidal needs to keep his mouth shut and let his performances on the pitch do the talking, if he keeps this up he won't last a season here

How can he do that when he's on the bench?

That's like saying endangered species should shut up and try to survive while hunters have free reign.

Last edited:

Messigician

How can he do that when he's on the bench?

That's like saying endangered species should shut up and try to survive while hunters have free reign.

Chance to impress in copa games no one should expect to walk in to our starting eleven in the best club in the world

Cule4life

The Culest
Chance to impress in copa games no one should expect to walk in to our starting eleven in the best club in the world

Yup a 31 year old veteran should be thankful he gets to play in copa games while Rakitic can stink up the place while his legs are jelly because of playing non stop

Yeah but deal with it behind the scenes not in social media.

Clearly that hasn't worked. We all know Valverde is tone deaf.

Vidal is a fighter with passion. He's not meek who'll put up with Valverde's BS and i admire it. People keep saying players should not be diplomatic and speak their minds but when they do they start calling the player cry babies

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Won't be surprised if he asks to leave in January and the club might oblige because this guy might put up a brawl if they don't let him go and he doesn't get to play.

Home of Barca Fans