Arturo Vidal

FinBarcelonafan

So you think alena starts tuesday, not that i would mind? I expect EV to start vidal, rakitic and busi in midfield. If he plays semedo (which i think he will) bob is also an option in midfield. My hunch is the 3 most experienced midfielders though.

I think yeah or he is playing max. 60 minutes vs Lyon. Vidal starting makes the most sense but he played crazy game today .

Barcilliant

Despite being at least four years past his peak he still provides relentless pressure and effort.

He will be on the bench against Lyon for sure.

Jombi

I thought he was bad, not any better than the two other midfielders who played today. He gave some energy but we need more than that. His passing and ball control leave alot to be desired.

EdmondDantes

Defensively very good but again, zero quality on the ball. At least it's a change from what Vidal offered against Girona, Valencia and Athletic.

BarçaBarça

Can't see what he offers us as a sub. Alena could at least give us some spark.
He just kicked the ball away when Lyon had a freekick 2 minutes before the end and we chased an awaygoal - wow.

EdmondDantes

Can't see what he offers us as a sub. Alena could at least give us some spark.
He just kicked the ball away when Lyon had a freekick 2 minutes before the end and we chased an awaygoal - wow.

He's much, much worse as a starter. Sergi Roberto, who hadn't played in CM in months, showed tonight what is the least expected of a Barcelona midfielder, something Vidal is simply not technically capable of.

If Vidal is to be given minutes, ideally it should be off the bench and that's it.

EdmondDantes

Valencia loved the oasis of space Vidal left behind, and today, so did Sevilla. They walked through our supposed midfield as they pleased in the first half. He and Rakitic are simply not compatible as a central midfield pairing.

Another start, another poor performance.

Messigician

Remember he is a Pep signing.

His legs have gone though but the stamina and workrate remains.

Shame, but he can't play with Rakitic

Raketa10

Can't believe some people here wanted him to be a starter over Rakitic. :facepalm: Even in his prime he was not the right profile for Barca. I hope Alena gets more playing time than he does in the next couple of months.

Xaviniesta

Can't believe some people here wanted him to be a starter over Rakitic. :facepalm: Even in his prime he was not the right profile for Barca. I hope Alena gets more playing time than he does in the next couple of months.

pep signed him and was a starter in his team. what barca profile are you talking about exactly? also, let's hope you stop bashing any player who happens to be croakitic's competition

MTL_Barca

pep signed him and was a starter in his team. what barca profile are you talking about exactly? also, let's hope you stop bashing any player who happens to be croakitic's competition

Pep didn't sign him, Bayern did. Just like Valverde didn't sign Malcom. The coach at Bayern doesn't have to power to sign whoever he wants, it's not like ManCity where Pep decides what's done. Don't remember it right now but i think in the book it even says he had to think of a way to make Vidal work or something like that, but at least i'm pretty sure he didn't request the signing. Bayern always wanted Vidal and it was a good opportunity because he was decently priced.

And i'd agree Vidal doesn't have the Barca CM profile. Passing isn't one of his strengths, so that automatically means he isn't really starter material for a club that plays our (supposed...thanks Ernie) style. Nothing bad about saying that.

Doesn't mean a player like him isn't useful of course, just not our typical midfielder. Problem nowadays is that he just way past his prime, still ok as a sub but i hope he never starts next to Rakitic again in any important game. That combination slows us down way too much.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans