Arturo Vidal

Messi983

If he's coming for 18m and we are able to sell all the players we intend selling, I can see us signing one more player.

Yep, De Jong for the next season.

Though I'd prefer to sell both Paco and Munir and get someone who would really challenge Suarez for his spot but have no idea who that player could be.

Trickykid

But Schweinsteiger was surely a more legendary player than Vidal so I cant see how 30m would be in any way reasonable for Vidal with his history as a 31 year old considering Schweinsteiger went for 9m only three years ago. Yes, the market has changed, but more than a four-fold increase in prices across the board is not the case. Someone brought up Mathieu: would we really buy Mathieu for 80m today?

Legendary, sure, but I think Bayern knew he was physically done by the time they sold him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Though I'd prefer to sell both Paco and Munir and get someone who would really challenge Suarez for his spot but have no idea who that player could be.

Would sign Mandzukic as a B option and hard worker as temporary solution.

Donatello

Valverde has:

Attack: Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Malcom

Midfield: Busquets, Coutinho, Rakitic, Vidal, Roberto, Arthur

Defense: Umtiti, Pique, Lenglet, Alba, Semedo

GK: MATS, Cilessen

if he still has us playing mid table level, then there's no hope for him as manager.

IMO, the biggest challenge for him (or any manager) now will be to gel the squad and make an identity, as well as keeping the morale high and players happy.

This squad looks all conquering and OP, but its really not that easy to manage.

Remember RM during Mou, their dressing room was toxic and there were frequent clash of the egos.

I know Mou was a different class, but egos do clash, as well as players getting unsettled and low key due to lack of chances.

So, its not that easy as it may look like.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

The market for strikers is really bad right now.

Having a versatile striker that got some physicality to him, just so he's able to hold off defenders would be great, but no such striker out there right now. Maybe Icardi, but he's not very versatile.

Martial, but he's not proven to be a high volume goalscorer and I think he prefers being a LW.

Who else? Cavani is 30+, Lewandowski is 30+, Lukaku not very versatile either + not sure how he'll fit in + Man Utd would never sell him

Jombi

More than four fold would be 36m+ Don’t know what you’re on about. The rumoured amount was 20

No, the rumors were 30m and someone said 21m was suspiciously low. I tried to find examples of whether it would really be suspiciously low. Schweinsteiger was a superior player to Vidal and was considered a football god in Bayern, so if Vidal is 30m then Schweinsteiger would be at least 36m+. I dont see how the 21m is suspiciously low at all. Markets for 31+ year olds are not good. It never has been.

jairzinho

Would sign Mandzukic as a B option and hard worker as temporary solution.

This actually isn't a bad deal at all despite his age. Would give us a better option off the bench compared to Munir and Paco. Pace, strength, aggression. Maxi Gomez is great too but Celta would fleece us.

But Schweinsteiger was surely a more legendary player than Vidal so I cant see how 30m would be in any way reasonable for Vidal with his history as a 31 year old considering Schweinsteiger went for 9m only three years ago. Yes, the market has changed, but more than a four-fold increase in prices across the board is not the case. Someone brought up Mathieu: would we really buy Mathieu for 80m today?

Schweinsteiger is a different story as it has to do with his relationship to the club, too. He played for Bayern since he was 14. And he had a series of injuries behind him - when he had played the recent three years prior to his transfer he played full with painkillers. I do not know if Xavi or Iniesta had transfer sums or what would have happened if they would have wanted to transfer with a year of contract left.

Until April Arturo played the last three years without any injury that let him miss more than 1 or 2 matches.

Bayern had 9 players for 3 positions in midfield. To let go of Vidal was the first obvious answer. I guess they will try to sell Rudy to Leipzig, too.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Not a fan at all, i think he's done and it will only get worse physically. Declined hard in comparison to his Juve days. But oh well at least its cheap and it seems we get good money for our deadweight.

Just hope Ernesto doesn't shove him into our starting lineup, he has to keep his fetish under control. From the bench he can be a good option for 1-2 years i guess.

JamDav1982

No, the rumors were 30m and someone said 21m was suspiciously low. I tried to find examples of whether it would really be suspiciously low. Schweinsteiger was a superior player to Vidal and was considered a football god in Bayern, so if Vidal is 30m then Schweinsteiger would be at least 36m+. I dont see how it is suspiciously low at all. Markets for 31+ year olds are not good. It never has been.

Ronaldo is 34 in not to distant future and has gone for over 100m.

Players at 16/17 are going for 40-50m from Brazil.

Giroud signed for Chelsea at older age than Vidal for 20m.

You play the market to suit. When Real look to spend big or Barca chase players that will be 'too expensive' the market is brough up constantly but ignore it when want to make out Barca over paying.

EdmondDantes

Regarding his medical; should we be counting our chickens yet, lads? Given with what happened with Fekir and his knee?

Then again, 18m to 55m is a huge difference in terms of risk.

Home of Barca Fans