Arturo Vidal

BBZ8800

Is there a single person on here that whined about Vidal starting over authur?.

Is there one who isn't happy with the qualities he has brought to the team?

Hmm... Look at this before a match:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/15686-Champions-League-Semi-Final-FC-Barcelona-Liverpool-3-0/page38

Vidal?!?! WHY??? :facepalm:
why start the card magnet (vidal)?
Rakitic-Busquets-Vidal, the midfield which never ever worked not even against the worst opponents, and after seemingly finally abandoning it he plays it after 2 months in the biggest match of the season again? Is this a joke? We need control and technical skill to cope and hopefully prevail against their physical midfield, not try and play right into their game by matching the physicality.
Christ, we might get completely destroyed here...
Ffs, Valverde....What are you doing? Vidal a liability in keeping the ball.
I wanted to be positive but that lineup.. lmao.
Damn vidal instead of Arthur. Thats a terrible idea.
Oh my god. Not starting the best pressure resistant player. Valverde, you idiot. :facepalm:
Chickened out as expected. There is no way you start Vidal over Arthur if you plan to control the game with possession. No way. It means he is going after a 0-0 maybe 1-0 win if we are lucky.
Vidal is the textbook sub to protect a lead, not when you are looking to be proactive, play on the front foot and score goal.
Interesting lineup from Valgreen. What the hell is he thinking?
No Arthur, Semedo or Dembele. Get this coach to fuck.
Let's hope we get destroyed. Maybe this moron will be out then.
Vidal never started a key game instead of Arthur, and he chooses the biggest game of the season to try something new. :lol:
This lineup...
i cant believe Arthur isn't starting.. is it possible there's a typo?
Coward-verde at his best once again
Be cautious, and put the whole offensive burden entirely on Messi's shoulders. What an amazing plan. It's not like that has been one of the biggest reasons we've been neutralized in the CL in the past.
Your whole post is just trying to rationalize that playing with cautious, away game tactics is EXACTLY what we need to do at home when we have the advantage....... What? Lmfao
I also love how much Arthur and Vidal have to drop consistent 10/10 performances to get any trust from the coach but Rakitic can play at Jordan Henderson level and yet be a guaranteed starter every single game.
Coutinho should have played in the midfield instead of Vidal, and then Dembele upfront. I am so disappointed to see this defensive lineup.
3dms lol. Whata pathetic coward is coaching Barcelona. :facepalm:
Why this midfield Valverde why? Dominating the midfield is a must against Liverpool, playing Arthur is the most logical thing to do. This ambition of not conceding at home will definitely cost us the game.
Reading Liverpool forum, their fans are actually happy Arthur isn't starting.
Would've preferred Artur for Vidal
but somehow this Madlad Valverde manages to outdo himself by benching our most crucial midfielder for Vidal

So, yes, I will answer yes to your questions.

Devils

B-b-but he’s old.
B-b-but his injuries have ruined him.
B-b-but he’s a bad influence
B-b-but he’s a red card machine and a thug.
B-b-but he will steal Alena’s minutes

All the reasons why fools on here were against signing him.

I told y’all from day one this guy was a brilliant signing.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
B-b-but he’s old.

too right mate. I was also beating the drum for this guy from day one and getting criticised for it. feels good to be right.

jamrock

George_Costanza

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] Most of the posts didn't say Vidal was wrong to start, they (we) questioned why Arthur didn't start. So, are you saying Arthur can't play with Vidal?

Most of us praised Vidal in the last few months, so not sure what's your point!

Havesaks

Very happy for him. When is contract runs out in 2 years, I want a similar profile in our squad. We need it in champions league

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] Most of the posts didn't say Vidal was wrong to start, they (we) questioned why Arthur didn't start. So, are you saying Arthur can't play with Vidal?

Most of us praised Vidal in the last few months, so not sure what's your point!

Each of Vidal, Rakitic, Arthur has it's virtues and flaws.
So, based on what you need in a match, each player can be the best or the worst option.
If you want to pass a ball around the box and your opponent will never enter into your half, you don't need Rakitic and Vidal.
You can play with Coutinho-Alena-Puig midfield if you want.
If there is a lot of defending, Rakitic and Vidal are better than Arthur.
Of course, there is a factor of a press resistance, but then you get more possession with Arthur and lose Vidal's fight or Rakitic's experience and crazy high amount of interceptions of opponent's actions.
So, there is no really right or wrong.
We could have played Arthur-Raki or Raki-Vidal or Arthur-Vidal.
We could have won 3:0 or lost 0:3 with any of those. even though, I posted numbers in January and February, statistically, when we played Vidal-Busi-Raki, we always conceded the lowest amount of goals.
And the same repeated yesterday.

But, since Arthur is closest to our history and how our midfielders usually move the ball, for our fans (you, for example), a line up should always look like:
Busi, Arthur and someone else, depends on against whom we play.
While in reality, our lineup is closer to: Busi and Raki, and someone else as the 3rd guy. Today EV opted for Vidal.

And further, while reading some comments about the away leg, people are again doing everything they can to PUSH Arthur in a lineup, as if our win doesn't count if Arthur isn't playing.
So, people suggested: Busi, Arthur, Vidal. Raki out.
Or: Busi, Vidal, Raki, Arthur. Cou out.
Basically, Raki, Vidal, Cou or Roberto will need to go out so that people can squeeze Arthur into a lineup somehow.

Anyway, Arthur is not my favorite, but I like him as a part of a team and he is bringing a lot of things.
But imo, he is by far the most overrated player here, and as one user commented yesterday:
people acting here as if arthur is a combination of xavi iniesta zidane and modric LOL

So, you see, I again see your post

= as leaning towards to: you think that we should have played Busi-Raki-Arthur or Busi-Arthur-Vidal.
And you guys are making a big deal out of Arthur not playing.
I personally don't care who will play as long as we are winning. I am defending Rakitic, but I would be fine with us winning a CL next season and Rakitic playing 0 minutes in a whole season.
I am not a fan of FC Rakitic, but of FC Barca.
On the other hand, I have a feeling that some fans here are not happy with our titles UNLESS if their favorite players are playing.
So, a win from yesterday was a crap because we didn't play nice, PLUS Arthur and Dembele didn't play.
So, our wins COUNT only if we play nice and if forum's favorites are playing (who are usually young and/or players who resemble to Pep's era, as always).

Why I personally don't see it as a big deal for Arthur not starting currently:
Goals this season:
Rakitic 4
Vidal 2
Arthur 0

Assists this season:
Rakitic 6
Vidal 6
Arthur 1

Tackles per game:
Vidal 2,4
Rakitic 0,9
Arthur 0,6

Interceptions per game:
Rakitic 1,5
Vidal 0,9
Arthur 0,3

Key passes per match:
Vidal 0,6
Rakitic 0,5
Arthur 0,5

Experience:
Rakitic and Vidal are by far infront of Arthur.

Basically, in every single factor, Arthur is on the last place.
Except in unmeasurable things which Barca forum rate the most:
1. Arthur is the youngest our of them
2. Arthur looks the most similar to players from Pep's days

That's more or less it.
In all other, real world areas like goals, assists, key passes, tackles, interceptions, experience, he is the weakest in this moment.

Out of fun, to prove my point, if we would play with only 3 midfielders at Anfield, WHICH 3 out of Busi, Raki, Arthur, Vidal would you play?
There is no way in hell that you will pick a lineup without Arthur, isn't it?

Last edited:

cro-man

A match were we are defending and he has enough space and support is exactly his thing. He was a pure destroyer and he did very well. Didnt think he still has it but here we are.

FC433

^
he looked sad though. Did not expect Mane to react that way :blush:

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Madly in love with the gesture that ter Stegen and Lenglet made after a life saving tackle from Vidal towards Mané in the dying minutes of the game. Vidal is such a warrior. <a href="https://t.co/Fe2o0vbaoK">pic.twitter.com/Fe2o0vbaoK</a></p>— void (@BusquetsLegacy) <a href="https://twitter.com/BusquetsLegacy/status/1123985546542571520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> [/tw]

Horatio

You're welcome
Beside the appreciation for the tackle you do know why they do it right? It’s to convince the ref no foul was commited. Small things like that affect the ref.

Barcilliant

B-b-but he’s old.

I've wanted this guy since 2014. For some stupid reason Barca fans think only flashy, cute players can make it at this club. They forget about guys like Puyol, Mascherano etc.

Home of Barca Fans