Arturo Vidal

EdmondDantes

Vidal is worrying me.

I've been lobbying for him to win a spot in the team given Rakitic's poor form but he looks exactly like I read he performed for Chile in their last two friendlies; slow, heavy and cumbersome.

He's struggling to control and turn. His technique tonight reminded me of Paulinho away at Chelsea except for Paulinho that was a one-off horror show, for Vidal, with his knee and age, I don't think we'll see much better.

Valverde sees him every day, maybe that's why he hasn't seen much of action so far.

Nothanks

idk why people think a bayern reject should walk into our starting lineup, much less think he is in someway better than rakitic

EdmondDantes

idk why people think a bayern reject should walk into our starting lineup, much less think he is in someway better than rakitic

I wanted him to start because Rakitic was poor for 2 months and he was the most obvious, senior alternative. But not on what he showed in those 20 minutes tonight.

Vidal looks way off the pace, not only physically but technically as well.

He gave the ball away twice with his first two touches. Then he went up the field where he found a bit more space but then he offered no defensive cover despite having the freshest legs in the team.

Bayern may have got one over us at this rate.

Last edited:

Joan

He's a fine player to have, but I can't see him start over Rakitić. Doesn't bring enough stability. Simply put.

Sorin

Rakitic lost 2 balls as soon as the game started. Fucking double standards.

Vidal barely played with us to boot and for me he was more than fine for the measly 15 minutes that was in. Made several runs and won back a few balls just by intimidating the opposition. Was pretty good with the ball as well.

CatalinR10

He's a fine player to have, but I can't see him start over Rakitić. Doesn't bring enough stability. Simply put.

i don't think people expect him to start over rakitic. What bothers me is that Rakitic is played all the time , while Vidal is played little. Rakitic can be in top 11 but he really needs some rest from time to time. He's been playing all games possible and sooner or later he will get injured or play exhausted in the last part of the season , he already looks exhausted from time to time for me.

Cule4life

The Culest
He was fine today. Involved in the 2nd goal. Ppl expect him to do defence splitting passes and insane pressing from his first minute while Rakitic gets a pass for being crap for months.

Again newsflash-- Ppl don't expect him to be a starter. They just want him to be given more minutes to rest other players and for him to be ready if an injury happens.

Sorin

He was fine today. Involved in the 2nd goal. Ppl expect him to do defence splitting passes and insane pressing from his first minute while Rakitic gets a pass for being crap for months.

Again newsflash-- Ppl don't expect him to be a starter. They just want him to be given more minutes to rest other players and for him to be ready if an injury happens.

Just the Rakitic cheerleaders creating false narratives.

BBZ8800

For me, Vidal was "too attacking" again today.
He ventures in attack.
If something happens=fine.
If not=he is leaving huge holes behind his back.

Now, as time passes, I think that the main reason why Rakitic is the most played Barca's midfielder in the last 5 seasons is=because he is the perfect and the best babysitter in our team.
In Lucho's years, he was covering for 4 players: Messi, Suarez, Neymar and Iniesta.
During EV, for example, in 433, he was covering for 3 attackers and a CM Coutinho.

So, in that sense, NO ONE till now could have subbed Rakitic since all other midfielders are way more attacking minded and move way more up and down (Vidal and Roberto for example).
Rakitic moves less, which is bad in some ways.
But on the other hand, he is always on his place, keeping his defensive position and babysitting.

Arthur is similar in that regard.
And now, with 2 babysitters, we play quite well.

Regarding Vidal, some users mentioned a few weeks ago: Coutinho-Vidal-Busquets trio.
Where is a babysitter in that midfield?

Vidal could play from time to time instead of Rakitic or Arthur.
But again, he plays more attacking than those two and is leaving his position way more often (in defensive sense).

In short, Lucho and EV both want/need at least ONE babysitter.
And Rakitic is the best babysitter at Barca.

Ev is more defensive minded (even though Lucho also turned to 4 midfielders in his last season) and he likes 2 babysitters.

This explains why EV liked Paulinho and Gomes over Denis and Rafinha.
Because Paulinho/Gomes are closer to babysitters and more defensive minded.

EV's idea is that:
Defense is defending
Midfield is mostly babysitting
And attack is trying to score.
Which, when you have Messi, isn't the worst tactics in the world...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans