Arturo Vidal

JamDav1982

Nope, you are assuming Vidal and Schweinsteiger are the exact same players with the same value. They just are not. Anyway, there is no way the 21m is suspiciously low, I think we can both agree on that. Hopefully he can give us more than a season.

That still makes no sense.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Vidal seem to be loved by his Juve and Bayern team mates, but disliked by some of his Chilean team mates lol. How come?

jairzinho

Anyone else feeling intoxicated from the prospect of having this fighter in our team?

Agreed about the need to have a strong willed player. A badass among our young acolytes. Have my doubts about his age and injuries but i hope he does well here.

Vilarrubi

Nope, you are assuming Vidal and Schweinsteiger are the exact same players with the same value. They just are not. Anyway, there is no way the 21m is suspiciously low, I think we can both agree on that. Hopefully he can give us more than a season.

I never said they were the exact same players with the same value, but whats the best indicator to go off if we're just guessing.. "Price" and your four fold thing made no sense. I never said it was suspiciously low, I think it's fair, a calculated risk.

MTL_Barca

Xavi did rely on physical attributes.

His fitness was fucking unreal at his peak and he covered every blade of grass and still looked fresh as a daisy.

Even if declines quickly after 33 Barca have two seasons out of him.

Its still the smart playmakers that can still perform in a high level with 33+ like Xabi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo but usually not the more offensive, physical CMs. It just gets too hard to keep up with the pace and they don't have their football IQ and passes to fall back to.

Well i don't even expect anything from current Vidal so playing ok-good until 33 would be fantastic for me lol but yeah 3 years of top level football and comparisons to Xabi are unrealistic for me.

We'll see but i don't expect much from Vidal, at best he stays healthy and is used exclusively as a bench option. That could be nice i guess. But tbh i kinda fear Ernesto will sneak him into a slow 4-4-2 at just the wrong time so i'm a bit worried :D

Devils

Might want to temper your expectations there. 3 years?

Alonso is a cerebral IQ player, even before he moved to Bayern he was getting slow as fuck in defense and slow on the ball. But even then he could still provide a strong spine to the midfield because of his skill level.

Vidal is pretty much nothing like Alonso, can't expect their trajectories to be the same in any respect. Alonso was also a full time starter for Bayern for years. In all likelihood a lot of things would have to go badly wrong for Vidal to be a starter for us, or he somehow becomes prime Vidal and is actually worthy of it.

Absolutely I can see him playing until 33-34 as a squad player if he maintains fitness.

Too many examples of quality players in their 30s this day and age that start or are squad players for top teams. I really don't need to provide examples, they are in every top team in Europe.

Vidal can be the same for Barca.

Joan

Hilarious how Lucas R. is having a Meltdown on twitter retweeting Spanish Barca fans that share his viewpoint on this transfer.

Like yeah I know of Vidal's problems but god this guy is just something else.

Pardon my ignorance. Who's Lucas R.?

I know nothing about Barca twitter community but they're biased and poisonous. :lol:

MTL_Barca

He missed 4 games in 17/18 before his knee injury, one because of an infection.
4 games in 16/17, 1 of them was because of a flu.
1 game in 15/16, because of a fever.
3 games in 14/15
2 games in 13/14
No games in 12/13
1 game in 11/12

I don't know where people pull of this fairytail of him being chronically injury prone, dude had the first more or less lengthy injury spell in his career behind him and it wasn't more than 3 and a half months..

He always played but also there were always reports about him having problems, having a lot of little issues here and there in training etc so i guess people just assume that he's injury prone as in missing many games.

He didn't miss many games but these stats make it look better than it is, him staying healthy (really healthy) and in good physical form is a real concern imo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
you think Vidal will start?

If his knee holds up and we play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 hopefully, he'll definitely dethrone Rakitic I think. He's a lot quicker, very mobile, as good technical and a bigger goalscoring threat on top of his grinta and aggressive nature.

Jombi

I never said they were the exact same players with the same value, but whats the best indicator to go off if we're just guessing.. "Price" and your four fold thing made no sense. I never said it was suspiciously low, I think it's fair, a calculated risk.

Four fold increase would just be a rough estimate since Vidal should go for less than Schweinsteiger in 2015 if they were the same age and Schweinsteiger went for 9m. Fast forward three years and suddenly people talk about 30m for this player as its nothing and 21m being suspiciously low. Thats all. Vidal has a physical playing style, more so than players like Iniesta and Xavi, so it will be interesting to see if he can keep a high level going forward at an age when most players decline.

Messi983

Would sign Mandzukic as a B option and hard worker as temporary solution.

Wouldn't mind him but don't think Juve will sell after they already sold Higuain.

Also, could easily see EV playing Mandzo on the wings and keeping Dembele on the bench so people would have another reason to go crazy. :lol:

The market for strikers is really bad right now.

Having a versatile striker that got some physicality to him, just so he's able to hold off defenders would be great, but no such striker out there right now. Maybe Icardi, but he's not very versatile.

Martial, but he's not proven to be a high volume goalscorer and I think he prefers being a LW.

Who else? Cavani is 30+, Lewandowski is 30+, Lukaku not very versatile either + not sure how he'll fit in + Man Utd would never sell him

Yeah, no really proven top class striker available. What do you think about Timo Werner?

From bigger/stronger and relatively young strikers I like Willian Jose and while I think he would be a better competition for Suarez than Paco/Munir I don't think he's good enough to become a starter for us. Also like Maxi Gomez but he only has one good season behind him in La Liga and there are rumours he might leave for EPL soon. If he'll stay in Vigo then we should follow him. Both WJ and Maxi are non EU players but Willian has been in Spain for 4 or 5 years so he could maybe get spanish citizenship.

Anyway, I think we won't get a new striker this summer and regardless of who between Munir and Paco will stay in the end Messi will in reality be a second striker/play as false 9 in 4-3-3 whenever Suarez won't play.

Home of Barca Fans