Which is better : AC Milan (1989-1990) or FC Barcelona (2009) ?

BigChill

I wrote this topic because I began to compare this Barcelona team with AC Milan (1989-1990). Milan in those past years was the 1st called Dream Team with the Dutch trio ( Rijkaard, Gullit, and van Basten).They had successfully won two consecutive Champions League and two consecutive Intercontinental (Toyota Cup). With those achievement, AC Milan had become the most feared in their era. Barcelona had also the great La Masia trio ( Xavi,Iniesta, and Messi). 2009 was the greatest success with sextuple thanked to them and the other La Masia. Don't forget the service of Eto'o,Henry etc.I thought this team deserved to be labelled as the Dream Team too. So which team is better : Milan or Barca ( if you're Milan fans ?? ) ?

W

woobie

I think the teams are comparable.

I think I'm one of the few here who's old enough to really remember/have seen Sacchi's Milan. The current Barcelona squad is the only team I've seen since then that even comes close.

Not going to say which is better as the squads are products of their respective eras and IMO should be appreciated for what they are: magnificent football teams.

X

xaviniesta

Woobie, was Sacchi's Milan known for their high pressing? I've only heard that, but never seen them play unfortunately...

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I think the teams are comparable.

I think I'm one of the few here who's old enough to really remember/have seen Sacchi's Milan. The current Barcelona squad is the only team I've seen since then that even comes close.

Not going to say which is better as the squads are products of their respective eras and IMO should be appreciated for what they are: magnificent football teams.

I have always got a soft spot for that Milan squad/era. Unless people saw that Milan team in action, then they cannot really appreciate what magnificent football they produced. I mean they mixed the artistry and creative and brilliance of Dutch football together with the tactical excellence of Italian football absolutely brilliantly. No team really got close to Milan.

IMO that Milan team had the best club defence EVER Tassotti-----Costacurta------Baresi---Maldini For me was the greatest club defence ever seen. First of all you have the greatest centre back in the history of football in Franco Baresi, one of the best left backs in the history of the game and all round a magnificent footballer in Maldini. A solid and unbreakable right back in Tassotti and in Costacurta the perfect foil for Baresi and probably the most underrated defender in history.

I loved that Milan team and it is the reason why Milan are my Italian team basically.

W

woobie

I went to Billy Costacurta's farewell game in May 2007.

And, honestly, I wouldn't sit through a football game having broken my foot on the stadium stairs to see very many guys play. This was one of the rare exceptions.

xaviniesta, to answer your question, yes. I do think they played a high line as a rule. You have to hunt around and get lucky but there are tapes of full matches from the olden days.

And there are also the 'veteranos' matches that Milan vets play against those from other big clubs. These happen once or twice a year, usually for charity - the most recent was against the Madrid old boys at the Bernabeu. 50,000 attended. More often than not, at least in defense, it's Tasso-Billy-Baresi-Maldini. And while they've slowed down a good deal (and Baresi lost his hair), they still play an amazingly disciplined line.

X

xaviniesta

i think i'm gonna donwload some games now.

the defence was amazing but so was the offence. Rijkaard, Van Basten, Gullit - Ballon D'or top 3 in 1988

Tazim

proud to be dutch :) I remember a game against Napoli with Maradona.. great goal of San Marco.. and the 5-0 vs Real : )

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
You can't really compare the two teams.... both among the best teams ever to play the game, but having totally different playing styles.

I'd say Milan was more a all-round team with no real weaknesses, while Barça is, football and attacking-wise, the better team.

My vote does go out to Barça, because I think in a 1-on-1 match Milan would not be able to do anything about Barça tika-taka.

X

xaviniesta

Tazim, do you have any torrent for that game? Ac Milan - Napoli ?

Tazim

no.. I only found this on youtube.. but they wre not on there best yet at that time.. Rijkaard came a year later right..

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Man, i dont remember that football was so boring back in these days ... i mean maybe that video isnt fully represantative, but you can only see goals and chances from set pieces and crosses from the sideline there ... except that one goal from Milans counter attack after Napolis missed header after the cross.

Good that its 2011 already ...

BigChill

The formation of Dream Team AC Milan was 4-4-2
GK : Galli
DF : Tasotti--Costacurta--Baresi--Maldini
MF : Colombo--Rijkaard--Ancelotti--Donadoni
FW : Gullit--van Basten

And for FC Barcelona 2009 :
GK : Valdes
DF : Alves--Puyol--Pique--Abidal
MF : Xavi--Toure or Busquets--Iniesta
FW : Messi--Eto'o or Ibrahimovic--Henry or Pedro

Milan usually used pressing play with high defense line but great offensive play. Barcelona played possession football to break down opponent defensive play. I knew that the key player of Barca style was Xavi and Iniesta but Messi was a line breaker ( correct me if I was wrong ). But the question is :
who was the key player of Milan ? I need to know.Thx !

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Sacchi's Milan and Guardiola's Barcelona are the best teams I've ever seen play the game.

them going head to head would be amazing. it'd be so close between the teams, but Messi would give us the edge I think.

Home of Barca Fans