Thierry Henry

Bulgroz

The procedure is a bit complicated in France to sack someone. Poyet's been summoned to a preliminary interview after which he's basically suspended. You have to do that first, and then wait a few days before officially sacking your employee. From what I've gathered, it should become completely official today. Eric Bedouet (Bordeaux' - and former France NT - physical trainer) is in charge while we're waiting for the new coach (hopefully Henry, if not it might be Ranieri or Ricardo). Bedouet is only there temporarily, he doesn't want to become head coach at all, and he said so quite often.

Apparently the whole problem is that the club's sale is not completely done yet (not before a couple months), so everything has to be decided by the current owner (M6) and the futur one (GAPC).

Regarding Henry, it was a done deal for almost everyone a couple days ago. Then yesterday it was announced by a couple newspapers than Henry had said no. But seems like it might just be a move by Henry's agent in order to put some pressure on the new owners, forcing them to accept Henry's conditions. It might just work: Henry coming to Bordeaux is quite a big deal, everyone's talking about it, and if it doesn't happen the new owners are gonna look really stupid. And the fans might be pretty pissed off.

Bulgroz

Well, it's official: Henry will not join Bordeaux. From what I've gathered, and as I've said yesterday, it was almost a done deal, but then Henry and his agent heard that there was bsically no plan B. Having the better hand, they asked for a substantially better offer from Bordeaux (not only regarding his salary, but also regarding the staff he'd join with, and the number of recruits expected by the end of this transfer window). The new owner didn't like it, and said no.

Really disappointed that he's not coming. I'm still very curious to see him on a bench though, even if it's not in Bordeaux.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Se queda. :)

[tw]1035471287525826560[/tw]

Didn't see this until now.

Would have been interesting if Barca offered him a similar position instead. Not as someone to take over from Valverde, but so he can get some experience and serve as the bridge between the squad and manager, as well as potentially be an option down the road if he's good enough.

Might have been a great mentor for Dembele and Malcom too.

Roberto Martinez is not paid much at all and I cannot imagine Henry is getting paid anywhere close to him so that shouldn't have been an issue either.

This is something Real Madrid did with Zidane when he first helped Mourinho and then later Ancelotti. Neither of these two appointed Zidane, but Florentino Perez, Butragueño and the Madrid hierarchy did.

Ideally we would do the same with someone like Xavi, but he's not interested in becoming a manager right now while Henry is.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Didn't see this until now.

Would have been interesting if Barca offered him a similar position instead. Not as someone to take over from Valverde, but so he can get some experience and serve as the bridge between the squad and manager, as well as potentially be an option down the road if he's good enough.

Might have been a great mentor for Dembele and Malcom too.

Roberto Martinez is not paid much at all and I cannot imagine Henry is getting paid anywhere close to him so that shouldn't have been an issue either.

May be he wasn't interested, with NT he will be there for few weeks per year unlike clubs. Also he is probably getting paid more in Sky than with any team he will take even as a coach. I mean afterall if he was interested in such role in a club it will be likely with Arsenal more than Barca.

DonAK

May be he wasn't interested, with NT he will be there for few weeks per year unlike clubs. Also he is probably getting paid more in Sky than with any team he will take even as a coach. I mean afterall if he was interested in such role in a club it will be likely with Arsenal more than Barca.

Henry has quit his job in Sky though. His plan was to start managing a club right now, but didn't find the right fit.

Arsenal is such a mess that I'm not sure he want to be a part of it. He's always praised Barcelona and seem to really be a culer so I assume he might choose us ahead of them.

DonAK

Said Wenger and Pep in particular are his references which is not at all surprising. He said his vision of football have been inspired a lot from what he learned under Pep so would be interesting to see how he does. If he succeeds at Monaco I think we'll see Henry sitting on the Barcelona bench before Xavi does.

It would be curious to see if Pep has the same effect on his former players like some of the other all-time great coaches throughout history had, with strong coaching trees.

Last edited:

Obiaseti

I really hope he does well. Always liked Henry. Yeah, seeing him on our bench would be surreal. Might start watching Monaco now.

Home of Barca Fans