Croatian league

FCBfan22

Kek is possibly the best coach that Slovenia has ever produced.

He did wonders with Slovenian NT and Rijeka.

Messi983

Kek is possibly the best coach that Slovenia has ever produced.

He did wonders with Slovenian NT and Rijeka.

Katanec-700x360.jpg

Messi983

Good find. :)

This "Šmarna gora" incident will imo forever be one of the most disgraceful moments of Slovenian football and sport in general after having one of the most memorable moments just 2 years before with more than 10.000 Slovenian fans in Amsterdam for the game against Spain in Euro 2000. BTW, I still can't believe we've thrown away 3-0 lead against Yugoslavia in just 6 minutes. Commentator on our national TV (Igor Bergant from the video above) said that only natural catastrophe could prevent our win after Zahović scored 3rd goal. And well, then we experienced that earthquake he was talking about. :lol: Despite that collapse Euro 2000 was overall a positive experience for us (though it could be much better if we'd hold onto that win and possibly qualify for the quarter-finals).

WC 2002 not so much because of that incident. I know Zahović could be unbearable and he also had problems with club coaches almost everywhere he has played so I was absolutely blaming him for his behaviour and supported the decision to send him home but Katanec should never cry out like that publicly. Those things should always be handled behind the closed doors. And as we've seen later (mostly in Katanec's 2nd spell as NT coach and his coaching career overall is also very underwhelming) Slovenia qualifying to Euro 2000 and WC 2002 had much more to do with Zahović's quality (of course we had other players that have scored important goals but Zaho was by far the best player of our golden generation and also one of the better European players at that time) than Katanec. And well, Katanec also had his own problems with our current NT "stars" like Iličić and especially Kampl so thinking retrospectively I don't think his dispute with Zahović was only ZZ's fault.

BTW, sorry for offtopic. :)

Home of Barca Fans