• Cesc Fabregas

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Thiago Alcantara

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other player

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Frequency

I agree, playing Iniesta on the wing is a huge mistake. I don't know if Pep is trying to make some place for Cesc, I haven't really think of that. I hope not. Don Andres is much better when his playing in midfield, and so is the team.
Thiago has a big potential and it would be a shame to waste his talent by bringing Fabregas. He's already not getting enough time on the pitch anyway. Plus, Fabregas is too expensive and he's injured a lot. If he really comes, I at least hope it doesn't happen this year. Him staying at Arsenal would be better for every side that is included.
So, Thiago for me.

Antigun

Voted for Thiago.

For the simple reason that Thiago didn't leave us when he was 16.

The only way I would want to see Cesc back would be the same way he left us i.e. for peanuts.

I dont like taking risks, hence i want to get Cesc in. I still have high hopes for Thiago though.

Btw, this common Anti-Cesc attitude can be seen at other clubs too. Very much reminds me of the Anti-Neuer campaign of some of the (ultra-) supporters at Bayern. Similarly idiotic to have antipathy towards another club (where the playerin question currently is) heavily influence the decision-making, turning that 'argument' against him. Thats just too irrational and unobjective for me ...

What's to say signing Cesc isn't a big risk? He's been constantly overplayed by Wenger for a long time now, he may never heal properly even if/when we rotate our midfield. Wenger may be a horrible manager but he's a slick mofo when it comes to transfers, my guess is he'll go for a swap involving Thiago and a big bag of cash. Also i'm far from convinced Cesc is a big game player, he's been bleak to say the least in the really important games he's played for Arsenal.

Trequartista

The good
I was scared when I saw Iniesta again the forward role yesterday... Thought Cesc is coming back and Pep is getting INiesta ready for it but then Iniesta's crappy performance in that role again gave me hope. We always seemed defensively susceptible when Iniesta played the wide-forward role and the theory just was given another boost last night

but people were hailing Iniesta after his game as a wing forward vs Shakhtar?No?
Iniesta was the best spanish player at the world cup as a wing forward?No?
saying that Iniesta is crap on the wing is 100 % Rubbish,He may be better with Xavi beside him in midfield but he had some of his best games on the wing and he is world class there,sometimes its better for him to start there and for me its better when he starts there with Keita covering him and with an attacking leftback for width,he may not be good in pressing as Pedro and Villa nor at tracking back but he adds something different to Pedro-Villa,he adds more possession and allows Messi to concentrate more in the final third instead of dropping into midfield

Frequency

but people were hailing Iniesta after his game as a wing forward vs Shakhtar?No?
saying that Iniesta is crap on the wing is 100 % Rubbish,He may be better with Xavi beside him in midfield but he had some of his best games on the wing and he is world class there,sometimes its better for him to start there and for me its better when he starts there with Keita covering him and with an attacking leftback for width,he may not be good in pressing as Pedro and Villa nor at tracking back but he adds something different to Pedro-Villa,he adds more possession and allows Messi to concentrate more in the final third instead of dropping into midfield

Don Andres is not crap no matter where he plays. He had some really good performances on the wing, but overall, I believe he's much better in the midfield - and the midfield is much better with him. It's just my opinion though...

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

Okay I was not clear in my post... We seemed defensively susceptible whenever Iniesta played a wide forward without having two defensive minded players in the mid field... Spain play with Busi and Xabi in the middle, so no point bringing his performances for Spain when we are talking about Barca.

Iniesta dwells a lot in the middle even when playing in the wide position(all the magic that he does comes to picture only when he's drifted into his favourable position), so we lose width and automatically get prone to counters!! He needs to have a very offensive minded fullback playing alongside him to excel in the wide position too, which again leads to my point that our defense on that flank would be considerably weakened. Against Shakhtar he had Adriano(who did really well btw) and he has Ramos while playing for Spain

So my point stands... Playing him in the wide position in a 4-3-3 system means we are not only losing his magic but also giving an extra advantage to the opponents
And I don't understand how Iniesta playing wide would allow Messi to concentrate more in the final third instead of dropping into midfield... If any it should be the opposite! The presence of Iniesta in the midfield would automatically reduce Messi's work to drop deep!!

for me its better when he starts there with Keita covering him

Exactly... That's the point. So the prospect of playing Xavi & Cesc and Iniesta in wide position in the same line up, as much as it is mouth watering, shouldn't be encouraged!

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
earth-rotation.jpg

Trequartista

The good
Okay I was not clear in my post... We seemed defensively susceptible whenever Iniesta played a wide forward without having two defensive minded players in the mid field... Spain play with Busi and Xabi in the middle, so no point bringing his performances for Spain when we are talking about Barca.

Iniesta dwells a lot in the middle even when playing in the wide position(all the magic that he does comes to picture only when he's drifted into his favourable position), so we lose width and automatically get prone to counters!! He needs to have a very offensive minded fullback playing alongside him to excel in the wide position too, which again leads to my point that our defense on that flank would be considerably weakened. Against Shakhtar he had Adriano(who did really well btw) and he has Ramos while playing for Spain

So my point stands... Playing him in the wide position in a 4-3-3 system means we are not only losing his magic but also giving an extra advantage to the opponents
And I don't understand how Iniesta playing wide would allow Messi to concentrate more in the final third instead of dropping into midfield... If any it should be the opposite! The presence of Iniesta in the midfield would automatically reduce Messi's work to drop deep!!

Exactly... That's the point. So the prospect of playing Xavi & Cesc and Iniesta in wide position in the same line up, as much as it is mouth watering, shouldn't be encouraged!
Agree with the first and second paragraph
the third:Having Iniesta in attack will mean you will have Xavi in deeep position beside Keita and then Iniesta coming as top of the diamond so what will make Messi drop when there are 3 players in the middle of the park with someone doing the number ten role(Iniesta) so this will reduce the number of times Messi drops as top of the diamond,when Iniesta is on midfield you will have no Villa or Pedro coming to help the midfield the way Iniesta does when he plays in attack
Have you noticed that Iniesta on the wing is appearing more at the end of the season,probably because Messi played over 45 matches this season and giving him the role of making those 50 metres runs from midfield may not be the best news for him now at this crucial stage
The Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta maybe mouthwatering if there is no Messi in the team but with Messi in the team Xavi-Keita-Iniesta will be better or at least thats how I see it

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!

You are becoming predictable mate, I wanted to say 'now don't come up with that pic meta' but then thought he's too good to repeat stuff :p

No seriously, how's Thiago supposed to develop if there's another midfielder stealing his minutes!? Not that we are short of options now anyway!!

Agree with the first and second paragraph
the third:Having Iniesta in attack will mean you will have Xavi in deeep position beside Keita and then Iniesta coming as top of the diamond so what will make Messi drop when there are 3 players in the middle of the park with someone doing the number ten role(Iniesta) so this will reduce the number of times Messi drops as top of the diamond,when Iniesta is on midfield you will have no Villa or Pedro coming to help the midfield the way Iniesta does when he plays in attack
Have you noticed that Iniesta on the wing is appearing more at the end of the season,probably because Messi played over 45 matches this season and giving him the role of making those 50 metres runs from midfield may not be the best news for him now at this crucial stage
The Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta maybe mouthwatering if there is no Messi in the team but with Messi in the team Xavi-Keita-Iniesta will be better or at least thats how I see it

I think I see your point... But it seems to be that with the awesomeness i.e., Iniesta playing in the midfield Messi actually need not come so deep in the first place. Although one thing I've noticed is Messi comes deep to allow Villa play more centrally while the left full back pushes higher up. While Villa sticks his ass to the left flank though Messi minds his business in the forward area. So going by this we need a natural left sided player more instead of another mid fielder :p So looks like if Afellay is integrated well into the squad there are quite a few improvements possible...interesting

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
You are becoming predictable mate, I wanted to say 'now don't come up with that pic meta' but then thought he's too good to repeat stuff :p

you all have been predictable for a long time, son. your arguments against Cesc are fundamentally flawed.

No seriously, how's Thiago supposed to develop if there's another midfielder stealing his minutes!? Not that we are short of options now anyway!!

there are PLENTY of minutes to go around. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta have been overplayed this season and last. but if we add Cesc in then we get a world-class option to ease the burden on them. and there will STILL be minutes free for T-Bone to develop. Iniesta wasn't a first-team regular 'til the age of 22, didn't do him any harm did it?

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
you all have been predictable for a long time, son. your arguments against Cesc are fundamentally flawed.

Opinions differ of course

there are PLENTY of minutes to go around. Messi, Xavi and Iniesta have been overplayed this season and last. but if we add Cesc in then we get a world-class option to ease the burden on them. and there will STILL be minutes free for T-Bone to develop. Iniesta wasn't a first-team regular 'til the age of 22, didn't do him any harm did it?

Regarding that, I'm not too sure man. Of course Pep does rotate the likes of Maxwell & the Central Defenders but he doesn't seem so flexible in case of resting the more fundamental players in Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Alves, etc. You might say it's because of the lack of WC backups but even when we are cruising he doesn't bring off Messi or Alves!! I really don't believe he'll drop Messi now and then even with Fabregas on the bench unless it's a completely meaningless match... Also the 'world class' and 'backup' don't really go hand in hand in the first place!!

I understand we have more options to rotate Messi and Iniesta if we get Fabregas but I don't see it practically happening... That too providing minutes to Thiago. Thiago had to be sent back to B team with the resources we have this term! now it's only going to be hell of a lot more if there's Fabregas too on the bench!!

Yeah Iniesta wasn't a first teamer until 22, but is there really so much patience with the wonder kids these days!?

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Opinions differ of course

Regarding that, I'm not too sure man. Of course Pep does rotate the likes of Maxwell & the Central Defenders but he doesn't seem so flexible in case of resting the more fundamental players in Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Alves, etc. You might say it's because of the lack of WC backups but even when we are cruising he doesn't bring off Messi or Alves!! I really don't believe he'll drop Messi now and then even with Fabregas on the bench unless it's a completely meaningless match... Also the 'world class' and 'backup' don't really go hand in hand in the first place!!I understand we have more options to rotate Messi and Iniesta if we get Fabregas but I don't see it practically happening... That too providing minutes to Thiago. Thiago had to be sent back to B team with the resources we have this term! now it's only going to be hell of a lot more if there's Fabregas too on the bench!!

Yeah Iniesta wasn't a first teamer until 22, but is there really so much patience with the wonder kids these days!?
two words. two men whom prove your theory about pep not rotating good players of the squad around ->

masch-thefucking-erano!

and

maravilla!

Home of Barca Fans