Unicef, Foundation & Solidarity Work

mmandela

Sueco estrella
Is there any thread like this one?

This is one of the things i like the most about Barca today... their solidarity work.
It is very important that the big actors in the world take their responsobilities, football clubs included, especially today when the big clubs are becoming more and more like multinational companies!
Football is the biggest sport on the planet, it converts more money and engages more people than any other sport.
Clubs like Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid are so big that their actions affects the world just like the actions of Coca Cola or any other company.
Global extension in businessdeals, bigger political power and the potential to change things means the Clubs must take responsobility!

Barca is doing very much in this issue and are taking more responsobilities than any other club. We attend on UN conferences, we are starting solidarity projects against poverty and other human suffering both in spain and around the world and we are taking the lead in the fight for a better world. As Barcafans we should be proud!

I find these issues very interesting so i thought i could open a thread about it... I will try to write some articles about the Barca foundation and their social commitments as often as I can.

Futbol Club Barcelona - Més que un Club - More than a Club

mmandela

Sueco estrella
logo_fundacio-cat.jpg

The Fundació FC Barcelona was constituted in 1994. Since then it has been an eternal source of civilian participation through the numerous social, cultural and sporting activities that the club has organised.

In the early years of the Foundation, Barca members and fans gave their individual but unconditional support to the project through contributions that were complemented by donations from the main companies in the country.
From 2006, the FC Barcelona Foundation began a new phase in which it changed direction and became the social identity par excellence of FC Barcelona.

This point of inflection was marked by FC Barcelona's adhesion to the United Nations Milennium Development Goals and the donation of 0.7 % of the club's ordinary income to the Foundation to support its programmes and projects.
This led to strenghtened alliances with Unicef, UNESCO and UNHCR/ACNUR.
Because of its great work the FC Barcelona Foundation was awarded with a position as a member of the ECOSOC (Economic and Social Council of the United Nations).

The general objectives of the FC Barcelona Foundation are:

- To promote actions concerning the fight against extreme poverty and illnesses that affect mainly the most vulnerable children of the planet and to favour education for all and gender equality, as stipulated by the Millennium Development Goals (MDG).

- To promote and offer tools to foster the values of sport among children, such as effort, respect, companionship and tolerance, both on a school level as on that of sports and leisure centres.

- To favour and encourage actions aimed at the social normalisation of people with disabilities, immigrants and other groups at risk of social exclusion.

- To contribute to the development of culture, the defence of civilian values, freedom and democracy, which have always defined the club and the history of its country.

- To promote youth sport and the academic training of the sportspeople forming part of the Barça institution.

- To give support and assistance to veteran players that have formed and still form part of the history of the club.

Taken from FC Barcelona offical website

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx for the update Marcus. I like all of their objectives and whats even more important it`s not just the paper talk, Barca is really striving to make a difference
:flagvl8:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Nice one mmandela! I look forward to read and post in this thread! Not only about Barcelona, but also about the impact football and the big clubs have from a social/political/cultural/economic point of view. And this actually gave me an idea for my thesis in school. I study sociology and have had a hard time coming up with something interesting to do research on.
One thing (maybe out off topic) that interests me, is why one is a football club supporter - especially a polish (I'm born in poland) Barca supporter that lives in Sweden? I was having dinner at my moms this last weekend and I watched Barca cheering and jumping. And my mom asked - "why do you call Barca your club and why are you such a fan? You're not from Barcelona, you are not from even Spain and there's no swedish players there? I said "Mom, it's more than a club" :)
Anyway, if I think a little bit about my thesis, maybe some of you guys would be interested to do an interview/survey? But its still a month before I will start to write.

mmandela

Sueco estrella
haha my mom have asked that question several times. It's hard to explain to people who doesn't love football... sometimes people almost thinks you are fanatic, man it's boring, up here in the north there is no passion for football... atleast not in Sweden don't you agree?

Great idea having something like that, I study social science aswell, I think you should try to take something barca/football related... It's much more fun to something like that. It's also much easier to perform well if you really are interested in what you choose.
Problem is if you are going to do a really big projektwork with that kind of subject you must do it really good. Most teachers think you are not so serious about your choice if you choose something realted to football. Don't you feel the same about it?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
haha my mom have asked that question several times. It's hard to explain to people who doesn't love football... sometimes people almost thinks you are fanatic, man it's boring, up here in the north there is no passion for football... atleast not in Sweden don't you agree?

Great idea having something like that, I study social science aswell, I think you should try to take something barca/football related... It's much more fun to something like that. It's also much easier to perform well if you really are interested in what you choose.
Problem is if you are going to do a really big projektwork with that kind of subject you must do it really good. Most teachers think you are not so serious about your choice if you choose something realted to football. Don't you feel the same about it?

Swedes are maybe more known to be strategic, organized and rational than passionate :lol: Just look at our national team.
There's has been a lot of serious research about football in sociology, especially about solidarity and deviance. I'm studying in Lund and doing my Master thesis soon, so of course I have to make a lot of quantitaive/qualitative research and ground it in theories. Anyway, in times like these where the society is getting more rational and individualistic - we need something that creates solidarity. In this forum people meet from Canada, Iran, China, Sweden, Serbia and so on, to discuss Barca. That is a really nice thing. If you want to read a little bit more about the topic, you could start with one of my favourit sociologists/philosophers Pierre Bourdieu. He has writen a book called How can one be a sports fan?

mmandela

Sueco estrella
Swedes are maybe more known to be strategic, organized and rational than passionate :lol: Just look at our national team.

Very boring sometimes...

thank you for the booktip Michael, I'll try to find it... sounds interesting

Yeah football unites, I remember when Iraq whon the AFC Asian Cup 2007... the day and week before that there had been several fights and bombings between shia and sunni muslims but at that day they all went out on the street to celebrate their country together. That shows how strong the power of football really is. There for it's great what Barca does...

Aha so you're at the university? I'm still in the gymnasium, I assume you're more free to do what you want at the university level?

R

Resonate

Nice one mmandela! I look forward to read and post in this thread! Not only about Barcelona, but also about the impact football and the big clubs have from a social/political/cultural/economic point of view. And this actually gave me an idea for my thesis in school. I study sociology and have had a hard time coming up with something interesting to do research on.
One thing (maybe out off topic) that interests me, is why one is a football club supporter - especially a polish (I'm born in poland) Barca supporter that lives in Sweden? I was having dinner at my moms this last weekend and I watched Barca cheering and jumping. And my mom asked - "why do you call Barca your club and why are you such a fan? You're not from Barcelona, you are not from even Spain and there's no swedish players there? I said "Mom, it's more than a club" :)
Anyway, if I think a little bit about my thesis, maybe some of you guys would be interested to do an interview/survey? But its still a month before I will start to write.

Where IN sweden are u from?

R

Resonate

Hey. I realise that when i wrote what you are referring to i was pretty tired, so my mistake, i should have had explained it better. What i meant with motsättning was that coming and living in sweden is sometimes, well dull. ;) Thats all.

Over to something else: How loyal of you nevertheless for the wellbeing of your comrades to pinpoint what people should talk about and not talk about. ;) Even though i havent mentioned anything more than that youre from Sweden, and where...crap, where is my manners. Please do :bash: me in the head...:cool:

Home of Barca Fans