Team of the Decade (00-09)

C

Carefree

Taken this off of redcafe seeing as their replies were fairly amusing. Quite simple - Rank these teams in order:

Barcelona 2008-09
Barcelona 2005-06
Chelsea 2004-06
Arsenal 2003-04
Manchester United 2007-08
Real Madrid 2000-02
AC Milan 06-07

For my money, it's:

1. Barcelona 08-09
  2. Chelsea 04-06
  3. Barcelona 05-06
  4. Arsenal 03-04
  5. Manchester United 07-08
  6. Real Madrid 00-02
  7. AC Milan 06-07

NickoH

You see, nobody ever goes in... and nobody ever co
1.Barcelona 08-09
2.Arsenal 03-04
3.Barcelona 05-06
4.Manchester United 07-08
5.Real Madrid 00-02
6.Chelsea 04-06
7.AC Milan 06-07

No Liverpool 2004-05 :)

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Barcelona 2008-09
Real Madrid 2000-02
Barcelona 2005-06
Chelsea 2004-06
Arsenal 2003-04
Manchester United 2007-08
AC Milan 06-07

C

Carefree

Liverpool in 2004-05 finished 37 points behind the Premiership winners (Chelsea) that year, despite winning the European Cup.

I'm surprised you've ranked us so low as well.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Personally I think the Milan team from 2001-2005 is the team of the decade, though the current barca squad will surpass that if/when they win another CL.

DucdeOrléans

The best team without a doubt is our team from 2005-2011. 4 league titles, 2 Cl's, 1 Copa Del Rey, 1 Club World Cup title, 1 European Super-Cup, 4 Spanish Super-League Cups.

And we are STILL in the run for the league and the Copa and CL. So it could be even higher. All this in 6 years.

We played the best football, beat virtually all top clubs (Franco CF, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Inter, Milan etc), the most impressive statistics, most Ballon d'Or Winners in that period etc.

The only club that comes close is Man Utd and afterwards AC Milan (only because of their CL success - only won 1 Scudetto in that period)

Chelsea were brilliant from 2004-2006, but they "only" won 2 league titles, the Mickey Mouse Cup and the Charity Shield Cup.

If we only should take one season than our 08-09 team must be the best (playing style, number of titles (SEXTUPLE)

H725

1) Barcelona 2006/2009
2) Real Madrid 2000/2002
3) Manchester United 2007-2009

Honorable mention to Milan (2003-2005)

Last edited:
C

Carefree

The best team without a doubt is our team from 2005-2011. 4 league titles, 2 Cl's, 1 Copa Del Rey, 1 Club World Cup title, 1 European Super-Cup, 4 Spanish Super-League Cups.

And we are STILL in the run for the league and the Copa and CL. So it could be even higher. All this in 6 years.

We played the best football, beat virtually all top clubs (Franco CF, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Inter, Milan etc), the most impressive statistics, most Ballon d'Or Winners in that period etc.

The only club that comes close is Man Utd and afterwards AC Milan (only because of their CL success - only won 1 Scudetto in that period)

Chelsea were brilliant from 2004-2006, but they "only" won 2 league titles, the Mickey Mouse Cup and the Charity Shield Cup.

If we only should take one season than our 08-09 team must be the best (playing style, number of titles (SEXTUPLE)

Our team from 2004-05 is probably about the only team of the last 20 years that could match the current Barcelona team. The defence (15 goals conceded all season) plus dangerous, quick paced attack with Duff, Drogba and Robben and a strong midfield consisting of Lampard and Makelele - not many teams would have beaten it.

Record breaking team that is comfortably the best Premiership team since the league changed format in 1993. Records were broken and newly ones set that to this day remain. We were incredibly unlucky in Europe going out to a 'ghost goal' and we went out in the FA Cup purely because of fixture pile up.

20 Feb 05 - Newcastle (A) FA Cup
23 Feb 05 - Barcelona (A) Champions League
27 Feb 05 - Liverpool (N) League Cup Final

Three huge games in the space of 7 days that was made worse when Shearer broke Bridge's ankle.

Our team from 2005-06 pretty much matched the same league records - not even the Mancs of 2007-08 did it, and they were almost knocked out of Europe by a severely weakened Chelsea team with no proper manager in charge!

Personally I think the Milan team from 2001-2005 is the team of the decade, though the current barca squad will surpass that if/when they win another CL.

Measuring this by success in Europe is a silly way to do it. Milan of 2001-2005 wouldn't be in the top five. Just out of interest, where do you rank Porto?

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Barcelona 08/09
Manchester United 07/08
Milan 06/07
Real Madrid 01/02
Chelsea 04/05

AND LOL @ Chelsea 04/05 being the best in the Premier League since it formed...:lol::lol:

Uniteds team in 99 Won it all, and done it by playing the best football.

Last edited:

DucdeOrléans

You were great, not denying that at all, you just need to win something bigger than two league titles a Mickey Mouse Cup and Charity Shield. I mean you hardly won against us (4-5) Terry's goal should have been disallowed and we were unlucky not to progress. But ok, it was very close.

Man Utd's team from the 07-08 are a bit overrated. They hardly won against us (we were horrible that season, despite having Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto'o and Messi, Deco, Xavi, Iniesta, Zambrotta, Thuram, Puyol etc) we could have advanced to the final just as them. They also won in the penalty shootout against you, which could have gone either way. But the CL winners always have a bit of luck regardless who wins it.

But yes your 2004-2006 was the best PL team until now together with Arsenals invincibles from their 2003-2004 season. But a close call.

H725

Barcelona 08/09
Manchester United 07/08
Milan 06/07
Real Madrid 01/02
Inter Milan 09/10
Chelsea 04/05

AND LOL @ Chelsea 04/05 being the best in the Premier League since it formed...:lol::lol:

Uniteds team in 99 Won it all, and done it by playing the best football.

Well Inter it's not included I guess becouse it's just the first team that won international trophies from this new decade (as the title of the opener said)

Last edited:
C

Carefree

You were great, not denying that at all, you just need to win something bigger than two league titles a Mickey Mouse Cup and Charity Shield. I mean you hardly won against us (4-5) Terry's goal should have been disallowed and we were unlucky not to progress. But ok, it was very close.

Man Utd's team from the 07-08 are a bit overrated. They hardly won against us (we were horrible that season, despite having Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto'o and Messi, Deco, Xavi, Iniesta, Zambrotta, Thuram, Puyol etc) we could have advanced to the final just as them. They also won in the penalty shootout against you, which could have gone either way. But the CL winners always have a bit of luck regardless who wins it.

But yes your 2004-2006 was the best PL team until now together with Arsenals invincibles from their 2003-2004 season. But a close call.

Micky Mouse Cup? I'm sure you wouldn't call it that if Barcelona were winning it. It's a highly arrogant thing to say, and it normally comes from the bigger clubs. Only had to look at the devastation of the Arsenal fans on Sunday to see what it meant. It's a trophy nonethless, and we beat Man Utd and Liverpool on the way to winning it.

As for the games against Barcelona - we were simply the better team. Weakened in the absence of our most dangerous player, and without Drogba due to a disgraceful decision at the Nou Camp, we ran riot in the first 17 minutes, only Ronaldinho's brilliance got you back in it, but justice prevailed at the end.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
You mean the same Arsenal fans fans who called it a mickey mouse cup when Spurs won it? Yeah, whatever

DucdeOrléans

It means nothing I tell you. Ffs you are not going to start arguing about it prestige and how important it is? Don't make me laugh please. It is a trophy yes, but so is Charity Shield.

Ok, so what is your point? You only won two league titles in that period. You are nowhere near being the best team out of the above mentioned.

I suppose you should watch the highlights again. Your memory does not seem up to date. Again you "only" won (4-5) and Terrys goal should not have been allowed. But ok, I can live with that it was the only time you knocked us out of a cup tie.

# He is a Chelsea fan of course he thinks that the Mickey Mouse Cup is important. After all Chelsea have more Mickey Mouse Cups than league titles. Would have been completely different if he had mentioned the FA Cup. Otherwise it is ridicolous.

Home of Barca Fans