Serbia

impeh

Hi, its me..
Serbian FA denies racism and brands England's Danny Rose 'vulgar'

The Serbian Football Association has angrily denied that their fans were guilty of aiming racist abuse at the England Under-21 team, and condemned Danny Rose's behaviour as "inappropriate, unsportsmanlike and vulgar".

Jenks

It's bad enough in this day and age that young players are subjected to racist abuse from large sections of supporters, but for the Serbian FA to deny it even happened and try to pin the blame for the trouble on Danny Rose is an absolute fucking disgrace.

Come on UEFA, show some balls.

Decanus

Formely Jose Maraschino
I thought it was well known this is a big problem in Eastern Europe. Wouldn't Hodgson have warned his guys beforehand and cautioned them?

Jenks

It was an U21 game. Regardless, I'm not sure what Serbia's reputation has to do with anything.

Decanus

Formely Jose Maraschino
Duh.... That's what I get for not really following or paying attention to English football! Serbia's rep comes into play because E Europe in general has the highest incidences of racial abuse, and the players could have been warned of that prior.

Jenks

Still have no idea what point you're trying to make. There's no indication that the players weren't aware of Serbia's reputation, and even if they weren't... so what? That doesn't excuse anything that happened.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Jaric said, that it is ironic to be criticized on racism and hooliganism by countries that practically invented both. While English media are exaggerating (just look at their reports about Ukraine and campaign they had before EC), the problem is evidently there among some groups.

But the problem still isn't in vacuum. English history is that of colonialists while Serbia was for 300-400 years under Turkish yoke. Who were, arguably, a different race. You can't justify racism but the historical context isn't the same for Western and Eastern countries and it needs to be approached differently.

Decanus

Formely Jose Maraschino
My point is, it's not smart to lose your temper and go after someone on a road match in a hostile environment. You could get killed. Rose shouldve tried to stay calm and just get the hell out of there in one piece. No, it's not Hodgson's fault, and it doesnt excuse the Serb actions. But Rose was amazingly stupid also in the way he responded.

Home of Barca Fans