Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Fontas

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Muniesa

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
My issue with buying a reasonably old CB is how quickly will they adapt to a new system? It's not like they'd have time on their side, and given the Barca style is fairly different to anywhere else, you don't want countless mistakes in the middle.

You look at the likes of Abidal, Chyg, Thuram, Adriano, even Maxwell at the start, all struggled when they first came in. I'd say only Alves and Milito (both already in La Liga) slotted in comfortably. So bringing in a Mexes for example could be a huge mistake IMO.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
My issue with buying a reasonably old CB is how quickly will they adapt to a new system? It's not like they'd have time on their side, and given the Barca style is fairly different to anywhere else, you don't want countless mistakes in the middle.

You look at the likes of Abidal, Chyg, Thuram, Adriano, even Maxwell at the start, all struggled when they first came in. I'd say only Alves and Milito (both already in La Liga) slotted in comfortably. So bringing in a Mexes for example could be a huge mistake IMO.

jackpot.

DucdeOrléans

Lugano? The Uruguayan playing for Fenerbache?

I have not seen him play that much but is he really that good? And when does his contract expire? Aha, it expires in 2013 according to my sources. And he is 30 years old.

Would it not be better to hijack Mexes, when his contract expires this summer?

Or buy a young defender who potentially could replace Puyol? Sakho or Vertonghen would be amazing. Sakhos contract expires next summer while Vertonghens expires in 2013 as well but he has said that he wants to move on this summer.

Last edited:

DucdeOrléans

Yeah, but that does not prove anything really. Must be a reason to why he has played in a shitty league (with all due respect) for 5 years now and has not been bought yet by any top club. He is also as old as G. Milito. I don't think he will be cheap either.

Nah, Vertonghen, Sakho, Mexes or some player from La Masia (Fontas, Muniesta, Botia etc).

V

Valon

He would be cheap and would be a great backup tbh he's way better than Milito. Mexes sucks IMO I'd never want him in Barca.

DucdeOrléans

Why should he be cheap Bojan? He is their captain and most important player together with Alex. His contract expires in 2013. Can't see he would be cheap.

Jan Vertonghen can be bought for around 15 million euros according to the rumours. He is WAY more talented and much younger. He would be perfect for us and slot in perfectly. (Ajax footballer)

Mexes loses his head quite often but he is still better than Lugano. The problem is that he plays for Roma and thei team/defence is in chaos constantly.

I mean he is also a free agent this summer. Not that I prefer him over Sakho, Vertonghen etc. at all.

But if we buy Cesc and someone else (Neymar etc) he would be a decent and most of all cheap option.

We have a lot of options. Caceres, Henrique, Botia, Muniesa, Fontas...Too many in fact.

Home of Barca Fans