Seung Woo Lee

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Seung Woo Lee retweeted a tweet from YoungCules showing that :
Bag6bCSCYAA-omT.jpg

:lol:

I saw him retweeting it from a Korean news site too...
Bb3a-emIcAAwh6Q.jpg

kozza

No player in the world can sign a 5 years contract before he is 18, and it's even worse if this player is banned by Fifa.
Who is the guy talking at the end of first paragraph ? Google translation sucks

Last edited:

lswkor

No player in the world can sign a 5 years contract before he is 18, and it's even worse if this player is banned by Fifa.
Who is the guy talking at the end of first paragraph ? Google translation sucks
yeah that's what i thought. maybe it's a show of good faith by the club rather than an official contract? is there a precedent of such an agreement between a youth player and barca? the news has been retweeted by LSW himself so i'm rather confused.

the last sentence of that first paragraph states that according to a "credible spanish football official", LSW and barca have agreed to a 5 year deal and only the paperwork is left to be signed.

kozza

Thanks for the translation.
I don't understand this 5 years contract but retweeting the news is a good news, he shows that he rejects foreign clubs millions and he wants to stay at Barça, who needs Sanabria when you have Seung Woo Lee ?
otherwise the article states that PSG were trying to sign him, this reminds me of a declaration of PSG president sometime ago saying that he will not bring Messi to PSG but he will try to find out the "new Messi".

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
yeah that's what i thought. maybe it's a show of good faith by the club rather than an official contract? is there a precedent of such an agreement between a youth player and barca? the news has been retweeted by LSW himself so i'm rather confused.

the last sentence of that first paragraph states that according to a "credible spanish football official", LSW and barca have agreed to a 5 year deal and only the paperwork is left to be signed.
I think he can still sign contracts but that they are easier to break and can't pay as much as official adult contracts.

lswkor

2013122700870_0.jpg

Korean Teen Pledges Future to Barca

Lee Seung-woo, who has recently been playing for Barcelona's youth team, will sign a long-term contract with the prestigious Spanish club. Lee's father Young-jae said on Thursday, "At the request of the team, I went to Spain from Dec. 11 to 23. We agreed to renew the contract for five years, and will sign the papers in February."

The details of the contract have not been revealed entirely, but it is reportedly highly competitive. The 15-year-old has been offered larger sums from Chelsea, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain, but chose to stay with Barcelona because he believes he has more of a future with the team.

"We declined offers from other teams because there was no guarantee that Seung-woo will be able to play in actual games and improve his skills. More importantly, he wanted to stay in Barcelona as he's been there for three years."
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/12/27/2013122700936.html

Galning

Always good to see that some of these youngsters have a good attitude and don't leave because of money. Extremely good player as well :D Glad he's staying.

SamperFCB

Something to add to Seung Woo Lee's contract. The FIFPro explains this situation on their site:
EXAMPLE: A 17-year old player has signed a contract for 5 years. After three years, the player signs a contract at another club. In the FIFA regulations is established, that only 3-year contracts are permitted if a player is younger than 18 years old. What is the consequence of the 5-year clause?

Answer: A contract for 5 years is not in compliance with FIFA Regulations. The contract converts to a 3-year contract and expires after the third year. No compensation has to be paid by the new club or the player.
http://www.fifpro.org/legal/faq

Lee will sign a 5 year deal in January when he turns 16. FIFA regulations state that it's only possible to sign a 3 year deal, so that 5 year deal will basically be a 3 year deal as the player is able to leave for free after three years. Contract has to be renegociated after those 3 years. I guess, he will sign a 5 year deal when he is 16 (January 2014) and when he turns 18 (January 2016) he will sign a new 3 or 5 year contract with better wages and conditions, etc, etc.

To conclude, positive news he signs a contract.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Lee will sign a 5 year deal in January when he turns 16. FIFA regulations state that it's only possible to sign a 3 year deal, so that 5 year deal will basically be a 3 year deal as the player is able to leave for free after three years. Contract has to be renegociated after those 3 years. I guess, he will sign a 5 year deal when he is 16 (January 2014) and when he turns 18 (January 2016) he will sign a new 3 or 5 year contract with better wages and conditions, etc, etc.

To conclude, positive news he signs a contract.

I suppose the 5 year contract is more so a statement of intent--that he wants to stay and succeed at Barca--than anything else.

Home of Barca Fans