Seung Woo Lee

DennyCrane

The club probably didn't "miss" anything here. European clubs operate in a often illegal manner regarding transfers of minors. Since the big clubs all have a skeleton in the closet, nobody is in the position to blow the whistle on others. The FIFA isn't exactly strict in enforcing Art. 19 and they usually don't start investigations on their own.

What bothers me though is that the club didn't fall back on the metric ton of loopholes there are to Art. 19 to make the deal airtight. Or maybe the parents didn't play along.

Xtroverto

I think this is just a stupid rule, if say the family of the kid decide to move abroad, then he should be able to play for whatever local team in that country. All the club should have to do is ensure the parents have a work permit and help them find some simple job.

BarcaJack

Messi had one of his parents living in Barcelona as well, it's one of the three things that makes an exception to that rule.

The player's parents move to the club's country for non-football related purposes.
The transfer occurs within the territory of the European Union or the European Economic Area and the player being within 16 to 18 years of age.
The player lives 50km from a border shared by the club's country, with the club being within 50km of that same border.
A mistake of the club then:(
As an Asian I think the rule is a little unfair. If we can attend high schools abroad why can't we receive football training as teenagers?

barcafc

I read somewhere that Lee was the only player that FIFA has blocked from playing with Barcelona youth. Takefusa and Jang are cleared to play.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Yes, he's the only one there's been complaints about... so the only one FIFA has stricken down on.

Home of Barca Fans