Sexism in football

P

popeye

Can't believe TV pundit gets Suspended for airing views on Women assistant referee with regards to offside rule. Andy Gray on Sky sports (uk) said "off air" that The assistant referee, who happened to be a female, at the Wolves vs Liverpool game, would not know the offside rule. Let's face it, MOST MALE assistant referees dont know the offside rule. How the hell is he being sexist. He has apologised and offered to pay £45.00 for her to go out for a meal. Absolute class. Take a bow son, take a bow

P

PhilS

This particular assistant seems to be more competent than most in the EPL, if you judge her by her work rather than by her sex.

TV is not the only industry where blatantly sexist remarks can very quickly lead to unemployment.

W

woobie

I dunno, I think they should both have been sacked. Then again, I think they're both horribly, horribly biased and mute the sound whenever I'm subjected to their commentary and have no other alternative. The entirety of the 'off air' comments wasn't just about the offside rule; it seemed pretty clear to me that the comments were sexist in nature.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I'm with you woobie...Suspended?...Ridiculous really, they both should've been sacked...Nevermind the fact that neither one of them are useful on the broadcasts...Ethnocentric to the core, to boot - rarely hear them credit any club that isn't English

B

blueduck

Sacked for this? You are having a laugh.

If they said it live on TV on purpose to humiliate the assistant then that is another story, they didn't mean for it to be made public and have apologised. I bet everyone who has posted in this thread has said something derogatory at some point in their life about somebody.

Ethnocentric to the core, to boot - rarely hear them credit any club that isn't English

You watch SKY regularly way over there North America do you? Well you obviously don't because Gray and Keys both cream themselves over Messi and Barca whenever they are covering the game.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
:lol: i could care less about sexism because if i dont care if u are male or female i would make fun anyway :D but :lol: how retarded are they in offering the meal :lol:

nah ducky...keys hates barca lol

W

woobie

Actually, yeah. We get the Sky feeds for most EPL and CL matches since Sky and Fox Soccer have the same owners.

B

blueduck

nah ducky...keys hates barca lol

Then why does he cream himself everytime he sees Messi and Xavi play? He covers the Barca games in the CL and he hasn't ever said anything bad about Barca.

Actually, yeah. We get the Sky feeds for most EPL and CL matches since Sky and Fox Soccer have the same owners.

Then why the ignorant comments?

Is the above match a complete joke or is it a complete joke? They are getting labeled for thinking something a hell of a lot of men their age think.

Last edited:
W

woobie

Because I think they're both horribly biased and can't stand their commentary? And having read through the transcripts of their little discussion I really do think they should be sacked?

B

blueduck

Because I think they're both horribly biased and can't stand their commentary? And having read through the transcripts of their little discussion I really do think they should be sacked?

You can't stand them yet you continue to watch them (and pay the subscription?) doesn't really make sense. I've heard the discussion and it was two sexist remarks that weren't aired on TV. They were recorded and handed to the media.
Have you or have you not, ever said anything derogatory about somebody else?

W

woobie

No, actually, I tend to watch the spanish feed with the Argie commentators if I have a choice -- and it's only for Cl games or the rare EPL game that looks interesting to me when Fox Espanol isn't covering it at a time convenient to me (so, in other words, last option) that I'll watch the english version with those two. And even then I'll mute it and play Sex Pistols or somesuch loud music. The channels in question are part of the 300 channel package I get so I'm hardly paying anything extra for them.

Home of Barca Fans