Sexism in football

Sergio

Sergison
Only thing I find significant about this is it was a publicity stunt, part of English football trying to stop its rapid decline, which has backfired spectacularly with a wave of negative publicity.

More of the same please.

B

blueduck

If you mute it how do you know they are always biased?

I watch them a lot obviously being an English football fan and they are generally fair, but they do exaggerate and like to big up the "big 4" as that is their target audience, but they do so without being disrespectful to the opposition.

Only thing I find significant about this is it was a publicity stunt, part of English football trying to stop its rapid decline, which has backfired spectacularly with a wave of negative publicity.

More of the same please.

Talking of footballing decline, isn't Serie A losing it's 4th CL place soon? Meanwhile, top of the UEFA coefficients....

W

woobie

I stopped listening after 2007 or so. And unless there's been a marked improvement in their commentary - which does not seem to have been the case, judging by comments in this and the 'commentators' thread - I see no reason to unmute them on the relatively rare occasions I don't have other options.

Merv

I get them with my subscription as well. I don't mind them much. I would rather Ray Hudson commentate all my matches for me.

I certainly have been judgemental about people before and I've been downright ugly about it. Difference being, I've never done it and been recorded, nor am I a world reknowned figure.

B

blueduck

They didn't know they were being recorded, one of the crew gave the tapes to the media.

Let's face it, a fair few men have said "women don't understand the offside rule" or similar to their mates at some time, this doesn't make it right, but it means that these guys aren't saints and are just normal blokes. Just because they are well known it doesn't mean they have to be politically correct all the time off air.

They have apologised and for me that should be the end of it. The only previous occurence I am aware of is them laughing at what is quite frankly a farce of game of football with some awful defending and comedy goals.

Merv

The fact they were being recorded should be moot. It's not right that the media went ahead and made it public imo. It just goes to show they want to stir something up. I don't think they should lose their jobs over it because referees in general get a bad rap all the time. They can't make everyone happy all the time in every game. Women get the short end of the stick all the time just because we were born with a split instead of pokey out parts. We deal with it and get over it. Whatev. I'm more concerned with the fact that I have to do the dishes ever night because of it more than I am because guys don't think I know the offside rule.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
I dont get why everyone hates Andy Gray so much, He does the exact same as say Mark Bolton, who goes on about how La Liga is the best in the world, Which is hardly suprising considering he covers all of the La Liga games. Andy Gray covers the Premier League, so Bigs it up.

And He generally bigs up Barcelona/Madrid aswell.

And I actualy think he's quite knowledgable about the game, His analysis are usually spot on IMO.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
I dont get why everyone hates Andy Gray so much, He does the exact same as say Mark Bolton, who goes on about how La Liga is the best in the world, Which is hardly suprising considering he covers all of the La Liga games. Andy Gray covers the Premier League, so Bigs it up.

And He generally bigs up Barcelona/Madrid aswell.

And I actualy think he's quite knowledgable about the game, His analysis are usually spot on IMO.

true true, but he is so damn annoying in my FIFA :lol:

XaviMessiGirl

In this day and age you can't be that irresponsible and not check that your mics are off before making a potentially offensive comment. Because people will get offended and when you're heard all over the world that's a big deal.

sukhy

I just want them to get off my TV, their hella annonying! They're also the geniuses who said that Messi wouldn't hack it at Stoke on a cold night in January............and that Barca would struggle against Stoke and Blackburn.............so yeah..........!!

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
I just want them to get off my TV, their hella annonying! They're also the geniuses who said that Messi wouldn't hack it at Stoke on a cold night in January............and that Barca would struggle against Stoke and Blackburn.............so yeah..........!!

But they didnt actually say that. What Gray said was.

"I'd like to see how he'd cope on a cold night in Stoke" - He'd like to see Messi in the premier league and to see whether he'd adapt ok, which isnt actually that ridicuous considering how many players struggle when moving to a new league.

He also, on that show, Continually pointed out how good he thought Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were, But people have taken the Stoke thing and twisted it.

sukhy

But they didnt actually say that. What Gray said was.

"I'd like to see how he'd cope on a cold night in Stoke" - He'd like to see Messi in the premier league and to see whether he'd adapt ok, which isnt actually that ridicuous considering how many players struggle when moving to a new league.

He also, on that show, Continually pointed out how good he thought Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were, But people have taken the Stoke thing and twisted it.

Oh well, Andy Gray's been sacked anyway! Hopefully Richard Keys is next :D
We need James Richardson back on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sexism all too often gets swept under the rug by claims of it being 'just a joke'...Yet, flip that scenario around and insert race into the equation rather than sex?...It's no joke and sexism is no less offensive than racism

You are on a major network like Sky and serve a role under a specific contract...Your actions indeed do have consequences, as a result, and cannot be summarily protected by it being 'just a joke'....Which I don't buy, btw...The pair are tools of the highest order

Clock is ticking on Keys, I hope

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

More of the same please.

nah, it's not a publicity stunt.

Andy Gray is suing News International (who own the newspaper News of the World) because they illegally hacked his mobile phone.

News International owns 39% of Sky, and are currently trying to buy the rest of the shares.

this is a power play by News International.

but as a side issue: Keys and Gray have long been dicks, but even though I find Keys more odious (because of his Madrid-leanings) from what I've heard from people, he's actually much more reasonable. and while he can be rude, will nearly always sincerely apologise. Gray is just a dick, though, unashamedly so. and when you add that to the fact that he's a horrendous commentator and analyst, and the recent video of him harassing Charlotte Jackson, you gotta say good riddance to bad rubbish.

hope they replace him with someone worthy. Big Sam would be my choice, but James Richardson could be pretty awesome too.

J

Jordzibob

James Richardson would be amazing. As long as he keeps his football weekly podcast duties :D

Home of Barca Fans