Pep's picks

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
So.. For what players we can claim they were or on Pep's wish list?

Ibra - Don't think he was 1st choice as I remember us going after Forlan first. Not exactly Pep's choice.
Chygrynskiy - Only one that is for certain Pep's pick.
Villa - a popular choice. As Ibra, probably another Laporta's signing.

There are also players that Pep wanted and we didn't get and I can think of 2 big names here.

Robinho - Rumour has it that Xavi and Puyol blocked that transfer
Ribery - Bayern wouldn't sell

How do we rate Pep's picks so far?

Beast

The Observer
I personally think all this "Pep choice " Txiki choice" are all a big pile of rubbish from Pep defenders trying to immortalize /divine the man .
Pep personality is not a manager where you can shove a player in his throat or buy without his approval or knowledge
the man is obsessive compulsive in all his decisions and all related to his team , he is a great manager but even great manager make transfer mistakes
but that's my opinion

J

Jordzibob

I personally think all this "Pep choice " Txiki choice" are all a big pile of rubbish from Pep defenders trying to immortalize /divine the man .
Pep personality is not a manager where you can shove a player in his throat or buy without his approval or knowledge
the man is obsessive compulsive in all his decisions and all related to his team , he is a great manager but even great manager make transfer mistakes
but that's my opinion

Unfortunately there are people who will simply not accept any flaw in Pep and just use the mantle "I trust in Pep look what he's done for us" as the reason for that. We got Ibra last season because Pep changed his mind at the last minute about Villa, we got Chiggy for 25 million because Pep wanted him (man he was SHIT), We didnt get Ozil this season because Pep didnt want him, and likewise most future transfer decisions, will be Pep. He's brought in Keita, Alves, Pique, Villa, Maxwell and brought fantastic players through the system, so it's not like he's terrible, it just some of his moves have gone very badly wrong. But yeh, he is at fault for some things. People are deluded if they want to blame Txiki for everything transferwise.

zealot

Ibra was Pep's signing, yes. And he dumped him. Perhaps it was because Ibra had all the difficulties to gel into the system, but Pep and his backroom staffs should have scouted Ibra more thoroughly before signing him. Ibra was too static on the pitch, and Pep looked so clueless on how to use him.

S

savior

There is no man without flaws and Pep has them too.
I'd very much like to know what flaws you're referring to, not that I disagree with you but Pep is easily the closest thing to perfection I've ever witnessed in terms of football management.

Ibra was Pep's signing, yes. And he dumped him. Perhaps it was because Ibra had all the difficulties to gel into the system, but Pep and his backroom staffs should have scouted Ibra more thoroughly before signing him. Ibra was too static on the pitch, and Pep looked so clueless on how to use him.
Ibra was pretty much forced upon Pep, I certainly wouldn't refer to him as Pep's signing.. There was no way that Eto'o was staying, and since Valencia refused to sell Villa (Pep even told him that he'd wait for him), Ibra was the only player capable of claiming a starting place left on the transfer market..
Clueless on how to use him?! 21 goals and 9 assists doesn't exactly scream clueless.. If you want to get the best out of Ibra, you have to center the play around him, but why in gods name would Pep want to do that when he have Messi who's superior to him in every single way..?

V

Valon

Welcome to the forum savior. The flaws of Pep IMO are some of the players he's picked and not picked. Wasn't Hleb also his signing? Also wanting parasites like Robinho and Ribery.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Pique and Alves weren't Pep's signings, Jordan. Nor were Caceres or Henrique.
Ibra maybe, Chygo for certain. Indeed Valon, those 2 were the ones that actually made me start the thread.
I'd appreciate if people wouldn't take any kind of criticism of Pep as an personal attack.

S

savior

Welcome to the forum savior. The flaws of Pep IMO are some of the players he's picked and not picked. Wasn't Hleb also his signing? Also wanting parasites like Robinho and Ribery.

Tyvm :), I recall Pep wanting Arshavin, but having to settle with Hleb, but (with a quick google search ^_^) I can't find any sources backing it.. But he was indeed a poor signing, mentally weak and afaik, he didn't even bother to learn Catalan(?)

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

exactly. which is why the players that have been shoved down his throat (Caceres, Henrique and Keirrison) have all been SHUNNED AND CAST OUT INTO THE COLD NIGHT LIKE TREACHEROUS LEPERS.

everyone else got a fair go despite their inadequacies: Gleb, Eidur, Chygrynskiy, Zlatan, etc. everyone got a chance except the above three.

what does that tell you?

zealot

Clueless on how to use him?! 21 goals and 9 assists doesn't exactly scream clueless.. If you want to get the best out of Ibra, you have to center the play around him, but why in gods name would Pep want to do that when he have Messi who's superior to him in every single way..?

Yes Ibra scored goals. That is the best part from him, despite all those gelling-in problems he was facing. We should question Pep why Ibra found himself in such difficulties. Thinking that the team spent so much on Ibra, surely there was already a proper scouting job done on him, and Pep already had in his mind how he would use Ibra.

Birdy

A fundamendal question : Why did Eto'o had to leave the club that terrible summer?

PS: Ibra was a total failure.. And it is more his personal arrogance and disturbance to the team than any 'misfitting' to the system..

Ocelot

A fundamendal question : Why did Eto'o had to leave the club that terrible summer?

PS: Ibra was a total failure.. And it is more his personal arrogance and disturbance to the team than any 'misfitting' to the system..

Pep never wanted Eto'o. Eto'o wanted to stay at barca till his contract expires than leave for free. So Barca sold him for approx 25M for a final year contract player. Looking back it would have been better if he stayed and left for free because we might have won another champions league and not lost great money from Zlatan which was not a total failure but wasn't as good as eto'o/villa for our system.

Home of Barca Fans