The need for Cesc.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
well for point 1. we dont and for point 2. cesc can never replicate xavi and plays more like a forward with pushing the play...he does not have the same touch and patience that xavi has

F

Flavia

We don't need another midfielder right now. We need a good backup striker, and maybe another cb.

dalitis8

Banned
We need Cesc people. Xavi is 31, and maybe his knees will fail him. As soon as we get Cesc back, the best.

Last year it was Iniesta with injury problems, this year it is Xavi.

jamrock

There are a two things in the usual Cesc discussions i will never understand ...

1. Why do we deperately need a full 1:1 copy of Xavi in his absence - i.e. why would it fail with a player of similar general quality and style, that might interprete his role a bit different?

2. Regardless of that, why do ppl believe Cesc would not be able to fulfill that role at Barca - seemingly only considering that Cesc plays differently at Arsenal b/c Wenger gave him a different job?

1) as long has pep are someone like him his the coach, we will need a player that plays in a similar fashion to Xavi

2) wenger has obviously asked him to play differently, but what makes it clear that he cannot play the xavi role is that, whenever he is asked to do so for spain, when xavi is absent, the team plays shit, as do he in that role.

Xavi_78

I would surely welcome back Cesc but not with this price tag. Rossell says we have a transfer kitty of 50 mio. I think we would agree that buying Cesc would nearly take all that money. But we have more prominent issues that have to be adressed than midfield: first of all we need an other backup striker, if one of MVP is injured we only have Bojan (maybe Affelay) and that gives me the chilles, secondly an other CB, maybe as a backup (Militos time seems to be over and King Eric is much more needed as a LB to play as a CB the whole time) if Fontas/Bartra/Muniesa are not up to it right now, or as a first CB if Puyi can not overcome his problems. That has to have priority in the next transfer window..

SwiftGuyver

i think our number one priority signing in the summer should be Sakho tbh...

after that i guess a backup for MVP...but who would you guys like to see bought as a backup striker?

i can't think of anyone i'd really want apart from Pato and he is of course no backup and would cost loads anyway...

Lukaku looks like he could be dope but he is still only 17 years old and is still unproven, still learning etc etc...

i would like to see Cesc back at Camp Nou and would welcome him with open arms but i agree there are other areas of our squad we need to sort out first...

Last edited:

Koma

Sakho? Are you friking kidding me? Bartra/Fontas/Muniesa are eager to get their chance, why would we spent enormous money on someone like Sakho?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
It may not be as high as Rosell claims but I don't think that Barcelona can, at this point, afford to spend £45m+ on a player who will not greatly improve their current starting 11. The only team that can is Manchester City.

Well the money is there with an annual transfer budget of €50m, whether Cesc would be a justifiable use of it is another question

SwiftGuyver

Sakho? Are you friking kidding me? Bartra/Fontas/Muniesa are eager to get their chance, why would we spent enormous money on someone like Sakho?

because he can offer cover for the CB and LB positions...he is big, strong, fast, skillful on the ball, good in the air, a natural born leader and has already made over 100 first team appearances for PSG and is still only 20 years old...

Puyol is not going to be able to play every game all season for much longer...Milito is on his way out...Abidal should not be used as a CB...Fontas, Bartra, Muniesa all look very promising but to rely on them and Pique for a whole season is concerning tbh...i feel we need one more young but proven performer in our backline for depth and competition...

Bergkamp10

With Torres going for £50m and Andy Carroll potentially gong for £35m+, Arsenal can make the Cesc price even higher!

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
watever...saves us the time wasted in pursuing him when we have other needs to address on the team

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Rosell would stay as far away from Arsenal as possible, thanks to a certain Liverpool and Chelsea :)

Koma

We can only thank Liverpool and Chelsea, their actions are pumping Cesc price and that's another reason why we don't need him. Youngsters like Thiago and Rafa are coming through are ranks and going in spending spree again would be ridiculous.
Also, only fanboys want Cesc back, he can't bring anything new to this club in tactical or any other sense so it would be stupid to spend our energy on that when we have more important stuff to deal with.

Home of Barca Fans