Raheem Sterling

Jenks

It's the money available in England and the premium on English talent because there's so little of it. You know something's wrong when Tom Ince is turning down two contract offers from Inter to play for Hull City instead.

Yannik

Yeah, there is little reason for English players to go abroad. The BPL is still argubly the best league in the world (if not, at leas the most exposed, influential and commercially successfully league) after all.

sure but i see foreign players from the BPL move to other leagues like a hundred times more often than english players do. And "a hundred times" is not actually an exageration. I think the number is really around 100 foreigners for 1 englishman.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
sure but i see foreign players from the BPL move to other leagues like a hundred times more often than english players do. And "a hundred times" is not actually an exageration. I think the number is really around 100 foreigners for 1 englishman.

Hmmm, really? I am only aware of a few players that moved from BPL to other leagues (not including those that moved outside of Europe such as the MLS etc.). Actually Beckham, Ronaldo, Bale and Jerome Boateng are the only ones that I could think of right now.

Alik

Hmmm, really? I am only aware of a few players that moved from BPL to other leagues (not including those that moved outside of Europe such as the MLS etc.). Actually Beckham, Ronaldo, Bale and Jerome Boateng are the only ones that I could think of right now.
?
Not sure I follow.

David Luiz, Luis Suarez, Javi Garcia, Evra, Negredo etc. etc.

There's many that leave, they're just not British.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I think it might have something to do with English players preferring to play where people speak English while foreign players either go back to the country with their main language or it doesn't make a difference. Also English player's families are already there and probably don't want to move, while foreign player's families have already moved or didn't ever move with them.

B

beautifulgame

Big clubs in other countries are too good for English players and the mid tier ones that might transfer them can't offer anything similar wages. Simples, duh.

Unbiased United

Big clubs in other countries are too good for English players and the mid tier ones that might transfer them can't offer anything similar wages. Simples, duh.

Whatever you think of English players, there have been some that are clearly good enough for big non-English clubs, it's just they often prefer to stay in England.

Rooney
Scholes
Lampard
Gerrard
Ferdinand
Seaman
Beckham and Owen (who obviously did, and although Owen didn't play that much I remember a lot of Madrid fans wanting him to get more game time)
Shearer

Not to mention a few youngsters like Shaw and Barkley who are looking more than good enough. That's just an handful who could all have played for a top foreign team had they expressed a desire to.

English players might not be as good in general as some nations like Spain, Brazil etc, but they are at least equal to many of the other nationalities who do play in far greater numbers of foreign leagues.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I just remembered Bayern pursuing Baines quite intensively a couple of years ago. The player eventually opted to stay at Everton instead of signing for the much bigger club from abroad, remarking that he just couldn't leave his mother and her fabulous cooking...

(I guess everyone sees the irony in "fabulous british cooking/cuisine"...)

Howes

Basically; the Premiership pays a lot more then any other league in the world, only a few top top players who can move to Madrid or Barcelona can earn more then what they would in the Premiership.

Morten

Basically; the Premiership pays a lot more then any other league in the world, only a few top top players who can move to Madrid or Barcelona can earn more then what they would in the Premiership.

Still, if anything, the spanish league is quite likely the better league overall, even if it has less money. I think it has something to do with spanish clubs knows how to devolop talent, while english clubs are clueless for the most parts.

Howes

Still, if anything, the spanish league is quite likely the better league overall, even if it has less money. I think it has something to do with spanish clubs knows how to devolop talent, while english clubs are clueless for the most parts.

At developing its own talent the spainish leauge is miles ahead of the premiership in England.

But the Premiership is so much more exciting, it developes less home grown talent simply because its teams are so vastly rewarded with money they can buy talent,

S7_MUFC

Premier League clubs are poor at talent development because of emphasis on the route 1 football by people like Big Sam, Moyes etc. and with the recent shift of emphasis on technical ability we are beginning to see more players like Barkley,Sterling etc. The current youngsters are a lot better technically compared to the likes of Milner....Money is also an issue because PL clubs can go out and buy the player they need but I don't think teams will buy players just to ignore a youngster who's ready...The only players who suffer due to money are players who are not good enough but would somehow get the game if the teams couldn't afford to buy players who are better than them......

red dragon2

sterling will probably play as a striker tonight against swansea, this kid is special, i'm not suprised to see him linked with b.munich. IMO, the best english talent since rooney.

Home of Barca Fans